Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Procedure & Welder Qualification
- - By dartsalaska Date 09-28-2013 15:20
No where in ASME IX can I find a requirement that weld procedure and welder qualification tests need to be administered by an AWS CWI.  I looked in D1.1 briefly, and did not find the requirement there either.  Although both require some visual inspection, I see no code requirement that this needs to done by CWI for procedure and welder qualification.  I only see the CWI requirement for visual inspection of production welds.  The reason I am interested in this, is I would like to use one or two of our welders to administer welder qualification tests to help take the load off our CWI's when they are busy.  I realize the advantage of using a CWI for this testing, but if I could use a couple of our welders who have an interest in obtaining a CWI, I think this would be great experience for them.  Can anyone confirm my conclusion or refute it?  Thanks.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-28-2013 15:59
The only person that cannot qualify and certify a welder is a CAWI. The janitor can do it, the dishwasher can do it, the mail man/woman can do it, your talking monkey can do it, but the CAWI cannot do it.

Nether AWS D1.X nor ASME Section IX requires the involvement of a CWI or SCWI when qualifying a WPS, a welder, or production welds.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-28-2013 16:12
Especially for in house certs I believe you are correct.  I know you are if you were asking about D1.1 which is my main area.   There are aspects of ASME that are different but I think welder certs are the same.

Hopefully Al or some of the other ASME gurus will chime in.  edit: yep, there he is.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By dartsalaska Date 09-28-2013 16:48
Thanks for the replies.  I truely hate opening my mouth at staff meetings and having my foot shoved down my throat.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-28-2013 19:05
Are you going to test the plates yourself in house like Brent said are you going to send them to a testing facility.

M.G.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 09-30-2013 03:05
ASME IX used the title "supervisor conducting the tests" I think the testing officer should be called Supervisor.
To say that "I've appointed my Welder to conduct a WQT sounds not appropriate than saying I get the Supervisor to conduct a test.

~Joey~
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 05-07-2014 04:36
Al is exactly right.  A CWI requirement will more often than not come from a spec.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 09-30-2013 00:11
Even if the plates or pipe test coupons are sent to an outside laboratory, neither AWS D1.1 or ASME Section IX require the testing of a WPS or welder performance coupon require the involvement of a CWI or SCWI.

Nor is a CWI or SCWI needed to be involved in the inspection of production welds.

There are building codes that do require the involvement of a CWI/SCWI when CJP groove welds or multiple pass fillet welds. The Engineer can require the verification inspector to be a CWI or SCWI. The Engineer can also require the contractor's inspector  be a current CWI or SCWI f he includes the requirement in the project specifications. Still, the question was whether Section IX or D1.1 requires current certification. The short response: no.

Best regards - Al
- - By KenD26 Date 05-07-2014 03:25
hoping some one out there can give me some clarity and advice!
        I have been going through my companies welding procedures to make sure that everything is sound. during the process I have come across documentation that clearly states that the current standards that our procedures are written to... have been superseded by new standards. these standards  are:
1-Mil-std-248 (now NAVSEA)
2-Mil-std-278 (now NAVSEA)
3-mil-std-1595(now AWS D17.1)

my welders qualify to the replacement standards...
the Welding Procedures just do not indicate the cancelation of the MIL-STD's....

My Question: is it necessary to go through the procedures and change all of the information to incorporate the replacement standards terms? ( I kind of feel like I should... but i seem to be getting a lot of push away from the changes from the V.I.P's. at the SHOP.)

Thanks for your time!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-07-2014 12:02
Ken,

Welcome to the forum !

You should repost your question as a stand alone thread in the "Certification and Qualification" section.

I think it will get the attention it deserves there.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Procedure & Welder Qualification