Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 9 year recert
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 09-29-2013 15:12
I am recently retired and am volunteering at a high school metal shop. The instructor has never had a student qualify in any position or with any filler metal. I was told years ago that teaching hours would be accepted as hours of education towards the 80 required for the nine year recertification. I checked in with the AWS office in Florida and got a different story. The 80 hours need to be in differing subject matter, in the welding field, and may not be repeated. So the way I understand it if I teach 5 students 1F  with 7018 for one class hour I get credit for one hour. If then I have 5 different students the next day and teach the same thing I get no credit because it's the same subject mater. There would then be no credit earned to help the students perfect their skills to the point of certification. They also want a syllabus of the class to see if they will accept it for hours. I'm a volunteer. I don't set up the class I help  with the welding program that is in place.

Frustrated
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-29-2013 17:15
The school has "written" curriculum.

Get that in your hands and you will find what you need.
Safety
Oxy fuel cutting
Use of shop tools
Inspection of student welds
Introduction to the various processes
Introduction to various inspection processes
Reading shop drawings
Weld symbols
Good housekeeping
Introduction to welding procedure specifications
That's just off the top of my head

I bet your school incorporates all these things and more :)

If it's just burning stick rod, then I would understand their reluctance... But if you think about it, I seriously doubt that's all that's going on with your instruction!
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 09-29-2013 19:19
When I talked to the lady at the certification department, she said that I would need individual hours in different subjects with no repeats. To me that means no review, and she said as much. Therefore review hours get no credited hours. My desire is to help kids that have no vocational desire other than metal trades, to be able to certify in one or more of the processes so that they will be ready to enter the job market. I'm promoting welding as a way to make good money. But welding alone is not is not going to get you there in the job market where I live. To work full time you have to weld, fit,operate portable hand tools, presses, drill presses, rolls, read prints, and use all of the other tools used in our trade.
I did it all and know that I can pass it on to the students. They need trade math, layout skill, communications, as well as welding. These are the things I teach each day That I am in there with them. All of the time should count.
I got into trouble on many occasions, with my last employer, because I taught how rather than just setting up equipment for for the new guys. I figured that if I taught them how, they then would be independent. That is how I teach.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-30-2013 00:01
Download a free copy of QC1:2007 and review the requirements for obtaining PDH credit for teaching.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 9 year recert