Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln classic III engine shutdown
- - By louieRD (**) Date 09-29-2013 23:42
Hello to members and all, I have a question someone out there may be fimiliar with,my machine fires and runs, but then, after a couple minutes it shuts right down, low idle, high idle, welding or not it pops out the engine protection button pops out and machine shuts down simultaneously , fluid levels all check good,I have suspicion it's the battery,does this sound familiar or common or anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking for what is causing this to occur ?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 09-30-2013 01:04
First make sure the oil and filter are new and proper for the season/conditions. Could be an impending oil pump failure. Does this have a gauge or light?
My thinking is that a cold engine with thicker oil warms up and then as the oil thins out it bypasses internals (pick a component) and kicks in the low oil pressure shut down.
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 09-30-2013 15:54
My classic 2 did that- it was the oil sending unit
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-01-2013 01:49
I agree sounds like bad sending unit or bad switch.  Check wire & connections too.  Pages 26 & 27 or pages F1 & F2 show the wiring diagrams.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/ServiceNavigator-public/LINCOLN3/IM529.pdf
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 10-03-2013 01:36
I've bypassed the oil switches, by connecting the lower pressure switch together to shut it, and the upper one is completly Disconnected ,I'm still having a problem, the machine starts up, runs for about 60 seconds and shuts down, what would cause it to run great,then all of a sudden it shuts off?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-03-2013 05:10
Hello louieRD, another slim possibility could be a clogged fuel filter or some other sort of fuel restriction. Or, if this system has a breather associated with the fuel tank and it is plugged, it could possibly starve it out after it develops enough vacuum to curtail fuel transfer/flow. Engine and fuel system type could render these lines of logic possible or unlikely depending on a number of different variables.

I have had engine issues with a number of different types of equipment over the years, foreign objects in the fuel tank have posed problems similar to this. Engine runs until the supply fitting from inside the tank is blocked and all of the sudden the engine quits, suction relaxes, object moves away, and then the same thing happens again after starting and running the engine. This scenario is generally more intermittent but that isn't a guarantee as such.

As I am typing this I can't remember whether this is a diesel or a gasoline engine, regardless, changes in fuel, additives, and other chemical additions could possibly cause degradation of seals, o-rings, gaskets or other components and have effects that could result in poor engine performance. Good luck and regards, Allan
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 10-05-2013 00:58
Thanks for all the info,the machine is now running great !All due to the advice and experience of all that responded,it was the pos. wire going from a failed oil pressure gauge to the Murphy switch
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-05-2013 01:10
Great to hear that it was actually something rather small as opposed to something that could have been big and very expensive. Well, I guess you'll just have to get back to work now and make up for all of that down time. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-04-2013 03:51
Like Allan has said check your fuel system.  If it has fuel transfer pump check it out to be sure it's getting enough fuel to injection pump and nothing plugged up along the way.  Sounds like something plugged up or transfer pump has gone out to me.  If has check valve somewhere that is okay not leaking back or plugged up.  Check terminal on shut off switch on injection pump that is hasn't gone bad too.  Call Lincoln or Bill's in OKC with your code number and ask for a manual on your Kubota.  I'm about sick of Lincoln can't put stuff back on their site for everyone to access and if the one with Kubota is on there they got it hid again lol.

www.lincolnelectric.com

www.billswelderrepair.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln classic III engine shutdown