Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Adana, Turkey
- - By Superflux (****) Date 10-02-2013 12:25 Edited 10-02-2013 12:57
Well forum friends,
My job has taken me to the very North East corner of the Mediterranean Sea.
I've taken on a tank building project that has now made the decision for me to pursue an API 653 cert for my future career plans.

The pipeline itself has an interesting story. This is the location of the pig launching station that James Bond ("The World is not Enough") used to insert himself into Russia.
The culture here although Muslim, is not as strict as in Kuwait where I was last year at this time where the all women are blacked out in Burqas and black ninja masks while the men sport a white Man Dress with a tablecloth and fan belt on their heads.

1) The mountains in the distance are the border between Syria and Turkey.
2) Adana has it's own style and flavor of Kebaps (shish kabob).
3) The Taskopru bridge was built by the Romans sometime between 100 and 384 AD and is the oldest continuously used for vehicle traffic. Ghengis Khan, Marco Polo and WWII tanks have crossed this bridge along with countless other conquerers, partisans and merchants. Rome had some great civil engineers. Of course having unlimited slave labor helps also to be able to build infrastructure projects that will last for centuries.
4) This mosque is one of the largest in the world with a capacity for 28,000 prayers. When you consider the space required to stash that many shoes before entering, then lay down the prayer carpet, that translates into a projected seating capacity of perhaps 100,000 or more. It is also Right Next Door to my hotel! The 5:30 am call to prayer makes for a great alarm clock...
5) If you buy a fresh leg-o-lamb, you also receive a complimentary testicle...
Sorry about the size of the pix.
Attachment: FirstDinnerinAdana.JPG (0B)
Attachment: Mosque-4.JPG (0B)
Attachment: Taskopru.JPG (0B)
Attachment: SyrianSunrise.JPG (0B)
Attachment: LambLeg-2.JPG (0B)
Attachment: JettyLine.JPG (0B)
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-02-2013 22:36
Coming over to the dark side now.
Next test will be in March. Check the API ICP site. They are setting it up where you can submit your paperwork on line.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-03-2013 03:37
One thing about it all John....no matter what you always look like your on vacation.  LOL   your a hero to me bro!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-03-2013 07:07
dbigkahunna,

I have ordered the Chris Matthews/Woodhead study guide for 653 and "Aboveground Storage Tanks" by Phillip Myers to give me a better grasp on this project.
Fortunately I've built a few tanks back in the 70's while on permit with Boilermakers 101 out of Denver. "Do or die for CB&I"! as we used to say. Wear out a 4# hammer a day pounding bull pins and wedges into keep plates. Fun times and HARD work. Glad I was young.
Never have been involved on the QC side of it before and I might need to pick your brain later when we get rolling
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-03-2013 11:28
Check out John Cornell
http://storagetanks.info/index.html
He does a lot of on line training and puts on a lot of classes and training.
And all he does is tanks. No PV or piping.
And you are more than welcome to what I know and can help you with.
The study guides are good, but the bulk of the questions will come out of 653, 575, and Section IX. Know 651 and 652,
Section IX stresses WPS, PQR and WPQ. The big part of the open book is having your documents tabbed where you can move around in it.
You are making a good move. There have been more tanks built in the last 10 years than were built in the previous 25. I call that job security.
Get the TES certification where you can be there from putting in the skillet to blind it off to pulling the skillet to put the tank back in service.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-03-2013 12:31
dbigkahunna,
Thank you for the career advice and directions for further study.
Whew! There goes my next paycheck.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-03-2013 22:45
Great pictures John!! That meal looks tasty! Enjoy your stay!!

As-salam alaykum my friend!!
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 10-14-2013 12:51
Looking relaxed as usual.  Thanks for sharing your pix & travels for all us desk squatters.

QCRobert
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-03-2013 18:05
Very cool.

Al
Parent - By Tex (**) Date 10-12-2013 18:43
Hay John, Sorry I missed you when you were home last. Hopefully we can get together one of these days. The pics you posted were something else. Always one who can appreciat fine arcitecture, that mosque is beautiful.

On a different note, be glad you weren't home last week. We had one heckuva snowstorm. We were shutdown around here for a few days. If you decide to buy one of those legs of lamb, slice that nut up real thin and fry like chicken fried steak. They are damn good eating.

Give me a call when you get home.

Tex
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Adana, Turkey