Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Fillet weld test for WPQ in AWS D1.1 and AWS D1.6
- - By kevin zhang (*) Date 10-03-2013 11:53
Hello everyone,

I have a question for fillet weld , there is a consumables verification test(4.12.3) for fillet weld in AWS D1.1, but i don't understand why AWS D1.6 has no this requirement for fillet weld.
Could you pls give me you comments?

Thanks,
Kevin
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-03-2013 11:57
I'm not sure, but I included a consumables test in my last D1.6 PQR testing just to be sure everything was OK.
Parent - By kevin zhang (*) Date 10-04-2013 07:47
Thanks for your replay , Jonh

I think it needs consumables test for fillet weld in PQR, but i cann't find this requirement out in AWS D1.6, because some times i review PQRs from suppliers, there is no consumables test for fillet weld, i want to require the test but i cann't persuade them.

Thanks,
Kevin
- By 803056 (*****) Date 10-04-2013 15:54 Edited 10-04-2013 16:08
I had a similar conversation with a past chairman of D1.1 a short while ago regarding the need to qualify a WPS using a grooved assembly as a key component of qualifying a WPS for fillet welds.

His response was in so many words that anyone familiar with welding would know that it goes without saying that a PQR using a groove plate is needed to demonstrate or establish the mechanical properties of the combination of process, filler metal, base metals, etc. The qualification requirements for fillet welds simply serves to demonstrate the soundness requirements can be achieved. While his comments confirmed my thoughts on the subject, his oral opinion doesn't carry the same weight as an official interpretation rendered by the committee.

I believe I have an inquiry pending with the D1.X committee for clarification on the subject. It would be a improvement if the requirements for both a PQR using a grooved plate and a separate PQR for the fillet weld were clearly stated in the D1.X documents. Currently I believe it is D1.6 that most clearly states that both tests are required if the WPS is to include fillet welds. D1.2 alludes to the need to qualify both grooves and fillets, and D1.1 does a very poor job of making the requirements clear.

The same conversation included an opinion that it would be prudent to qualify the fillet weld first to establish the appropriate parameters for the fillet welds, i.e., high and low travel speeds and amperage ranges needed to weld the largest single pass fillet weld and the smallest multiple pass fillet weld. Those same parameters should then be incorporated when welding the grooved assembly.

When one considers why a welding procedure is qualified by testing, it only stands to reason that both a grooved assembly and a fillet welded assembly should be tested if the WPS is to include both grooves and fillet welds. However, until the requirements are clarified by the structural welding committee, there will be those individuals that will continue to qualify fillet welds using the T-joint without demonstrating the combination of variables can meet the minimum mechanical properties required by the welding standard. That, in my humble opinion, is a serious oversight. It indicates the individual charged with the task of qualifying the WPS has little understanding or appreciation of why a WPS is qualified by testing. 

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Fillet weld test for WPQ in AWS D1.1 and AWS D1.6