Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Skullgard hard hats
- - By alan domagala (**) Date 10-03-2013 15:03
I came across some old MSA Skullgard hard hats that were factory painted. Does anybody know a good way to remove the paint without damaging the finish below the paint to much?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-03-2013 15:36
Any product that would remove the paint will definitely damage them and make them unsafe.  Why would you want to remove the paint? 

Hard hats of both varieties are not that expensive.  Don't go cheap trying to save some.  Just buy new ones.  My personal one is my most expensive and it has an overlay of the flag and an eagle on it with full brim.  Still less than $50 if I remember right.

But the plain ones that welders would use with their hoods are really cheap compared to a life or even OSHA fines.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Attachment: DSCF5252-Copy.JPG (38k)
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-03-2013 22:38
$50??? LoL!! I paid around $100 for mine! Hahaha!!

Agreed, hard hats in general are cheap. You'll pay nearly as much for a reflective vest as you will for a hardhat!!

OSHA, probably don't have to worry about them for a few weeks!! :lol::lol::lol:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-04-2013 00:37
So, are you laughing at me or yourself?  I have seen few hard hats over $80.  I may have paid $60 for mine but I know it wasn't over that.  And the normal 1/4 brim ones the welders wear go for about $30-40.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-04-2013 01:00
Maybe at myself! It's one of those brown fiberglass full brim hardhats. Don't know why I bought it actually. Think I was having a good year and needed some more deductions!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-04-2013 01:06
That's what thought.  The guys around here wearing those pay about $80 for them.

Anyway, we all need to laugh at something these days.  Can't take this world, and especially this country, too seriously.  It's all nothing but a big joke.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-04-2013 01:57
No doubt about it Brent!

Watch the news in the morning and laugh at the house and senate as they go at it like 6 year old school kids!! Then I think to myself, "We're doomed". LOL!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-03-2013 15:42
I wouldn't fool with it too much...you are supposed to be able to inspect the hat periodically for damage, stickers and paint are not a good idea. Just my two cents
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-03-2013 23:48
I like the fact companies make you put safety orientation stickers on your hard hat.
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 10-04-2013 13:20
If it's the white painted one, it really stays a lot cooler.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 10-05-2013 19:06
Most Mfg of hardhats recommnend replacement every 5 years, and OSHA defaults to ANSI, which defaults to Mfg's recommendation on replacement.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Skullgard hard hats