Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Test Qualification of WPS
- - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 10-03-2013 20:10
Hello! My question is about tests to qualify WPS by AWS D1.1 and D1.5 latest editions.  If I buy a gorup of testings machines like tension test machine, or CVN machine for a internal lab. Can I use this machines to certify my owns WPS? I mean can probe my own WPS in home? or I need a third party that certify such tests to be valid?

I don`t see prohibition in the codes. Can somebody tell me something? thank you.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-03-2013 22:10
Most codes do not require third party participation.

Whether you can justify the cost and expense of maintaining the testing machines is a different story altogether.

Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-05-2013 01:07
"Most codes do not require third party participation."

But some job specifications will.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-06-2013 19:01
That is always true. Some engineers and owners make it a point to add their two cents worth to the project specifications to ensure the end product will meet their needs. After all, the codes include the minimum requirements. It is the owner's responsibility to add to the basic requirements when it is necessary.

Based on a couple of situations I have seen, it is prudent to involve a qualified third party to oversee the qualification of WPSs and their supporting PQRs. However, an effort has to be made to ensure the third party is qualified for the work. Having the CWI credential offers little assurance the third party is qualified for that task. The ability to set up a program to properly qualify a WPS or a welder is not something that is assessed by the CWI examination. That is where the SCWI credential comes into play. The SCWI examination is focused on the methodology of qualifying the WPS and the welder. Is the stem perfected, not yet in my view, but the Certification Committee is working toward that goal.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 10-11-2013 14:51
I had the same thought until after pricing a few tensile test machines.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Test Qualification of WPS