Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Happy Customers.
- - By strother (***) Date 10-04-2013 02:37 Edited 10-05-2013 00:16
The thread about unhappy customers have prompted me to ask a question. How do I keep my customers happy while I grow my business? Over 13 yrs of running my business I have built a reputation as an excellent welder and a problem solver. Thing is I need to grow so that I can bill more hrs. There is only so much one man can do. I have had I hard time finding help that fit my needs. Either they can weld but can't think or they can think but can't weld . If they can do both they will soon find a better paying job! I have a guy now that is pretty good helper/fitter but his welding is rough. He has 20+ yrs experience but has been out of welding for 5 or 6 yrs. The only way he is going to improve is to throw him out there and let him work. My question is how do I do that and keep my customers satisfied during this painful process?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-04-2013 11:39
That's the hard part there. Finding help where when you leave the shop you know they are going to be working just as hard and not slacking off. Welding out on a job hoping you find a guy that will do the quality of work you would do. I'm in the same situation with getting this new shop. Would like to have a guy there to do work while I'm out but if I'm out he needs to be able to figure things out. If I stay back and send him out then he needs to put down welds that pass first time out so I don't have send his/her butt back out to bfe someplace to fix them and ruin the reputation I have with clients.

I have a feeling it will be some hiring and firing to find the right person. We're small so being competitive on pay and benefits is not an option. I think if the guy/gal has a reason they want to work for you, great boss, learning stuff from you, likes the type of work maybe they'll stick around and grow with your company. First employee on then one day he/she could be foreman, project manager and be making better money while running a crew for your company. Will be watching this post to read the opinions though! Good luck Randy!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-04-2013 12:21
15 years ago my customers started complaining about the LOOKS of my shop's welds when I had to hire help and could not handle it all myself.  It took some explaining to customers that they themselves knew one person can not do it all.  Then ask, whose work should I not do so I can keep the quality up, yours?  I have to train my sons and others at some point and give them the opportunity to do the work on actual projects not just practice plates of steel. 

And yes, I have been through the same thing countless times to try to find good help.  But, it is just as hard to find good customers.  In today's market it is not expecting too much to 'interview' your customers.  Most don't know what is going on, but I do, then I send away those I don't want to work for.  Especially those who have already proven themselves to be a pain in the neck.  And guess what, we still make a good living and keep both my oldest son and I pretty busy. 

And now, we have seldom an unhappy customer with lots of happy customers.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By strother (***) Date 10-19-2013 00:46
Brent, You right about interviewing customers. I've been weeding out bad customers and I am suspicious,for lack of a better term about new customers. I've struggled with this business from day one but for the most part it has not been a lack of work but a lack of business experience that has caused a lot of my headaches. I think I've started making the changes necessary to make this thing work. I actually turned a bad customer into a good customer with a "customer interview".
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 10-08-2013 02:01
You will never find an employee that cares for your business as much as you do. Also you may find that you are overly critical of them and their work because it's your reputation on the line. Make sure they are qualified and competent to do the work. Also I have found that the image of a company almost seems more critical to todays contractors than anything. And by that I mean not only the quality of the work performed but also the quality and image of the people and equipment performing it. We have learned to be critical of how our trucks, safety equipment and tools look and work. Also a little yes sir no sir goes along way when your employee deals with your customer. Let them know where the money (their paycheck) comes from the customer, not you, then they seem to try a little harder.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Happy Customers.