Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Restaurant Reviews-
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-08-2013 00:52 Edited 10-08-2013 01:04
So as many of us that travel I'm sure we must go into cities where others have been. When I get into a new place I'm always looking for a new restaurant. Sure we have your standards, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday and all of your gut rot fast food joints but I like to search out the more unique places, mom and pops and such. Here are a few that stick in my head from my travels around the U.S.A.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin- Dooley's Irish Pub http://dooleyspub.com/

Neat little place down in town, full bar, Guinness of course. My son was with me and the proportions were enormous!! Price was reasonable especially when you saw the plate of food they brought out!!! We had the cheese curd appetizer. These things were also enormous!! For those that don't know cheese curds are lumps of cheese breaded and deep fried. The food we had was excellent. If you're ever in Eau Claire stop by Dooley's and grab a pint.....or an American size beer!

Garrison, Minnesota- The Y Club http://local.yahoo.com/info-24409253-y-club-garrison

This was one of my favorite places in Garrison. I think I spent a fortune at this place as we were there for nearly a month. I had the Walleye, Buffalo wings, burgers, soups and of course they also have Guinness! They are right off the lake(Mill Lacs) right in the heart of Garrison, not that big of a heart so you can't miss it. The last week or two we were there we ate there almost every night. We climbed off the tower, loaded up and headed to the Y Club. Friendly staff, great service and great food.

Crete, Nebraska- Think the only thing I remember about Crete is that they are surrounded by corn. Restaurants?? Sorry, I got nothing. I also remember I was glad I was leaving! LoL!!!

Quincy, Illinois- Kelly's Tavern http://www.kellysquincy.com/

I read the reviews on this place today and could not find a negative comment. Service excellent. I read about the cheese soup and reviews said it was great. Gave it a shot, yep, it's great! If you like mac and cheese give this soup a try! Tonight I had the Buffalo Chicken sandwich. If you like spicy this is for you. A bit hot for me, I was surprised but very good. Appetizer, Teriyaki kabobs. Came with a slice of pineapple and dipping sauce. I could have ate just that for dinner. I'll give further reviews as the week goes on from Kelly's as I believe I will be eating there again. Oh yeah, of course they have Guinness!!

Buffalo, New York- The Anchor Bar and Charlie the Butcher

http://www.anchorbar.com/
http://www.charliethebutcher.com/

As I am from Buffalo I highly recommend a stop at the home of the Buffalo wing, The Anchor Bar. Was there a few years ago with the family and hogged down on a mountain sized platter of wings! Love this place! When I say wings I mean big, meaty wings not these anorexic things I find all over the south!

NOTE: Buffalo Wild Wings, started by a guy originally from Buffalo. One of my favorites out on the road when I'm craving wings, they do them right and you can find them almost anywhere.

Also a Buffalo favorite, Charlie the Butcher. They are online and their specialty is the famous Beef on Weck. Well, famous to us Western New Yourkers!! Think they are trying to keep this a secret! All I can say is dang it man!! My kids and I stopped there last year and my oldest kid was drooling at the mouth the other day talking about how we have to get back to Buffalo, specifically, Charlie the Butcher's! She said we can drive right by my Aunts house and go to Charlie's first!!

Got any special places that stick in your head from your road trips? These are the only ones that really stick out in my head right now. They have a few other places around here in Quincy that sound good but we'll have to see. Happy eating!! Signing off from Quincy, Illinois!!
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-08-2013 10:35 Edited 10-08-2013 10:51
Ole's Big Game Lodge, Paxton, Nebraska
http://olesbiggame.com/
Right off I-80 about a half hour west of North Platte, Ne. Years ago when the power plant in Sutherland was being built, we'd stop in for a beer and burger after work. It has a World Class big game display that greets you with a glass cased, 9' Polar Bear that poached out of Russia. Everything from insects to elephant are stuffed and mounted. Back in the mid 70's, the Central/Mountain Time zone went right down the middle of Main Street. At 2:00 am you could close down the bar on the east side and then stagger across the street to Ole's and drink for another hour. Not that I ever participated in that decadent ritual... Ak-hemmm, cough.... The time zone line has since been moved out of town.

Safari Club, Thermopolis, Wyoming
http://www.thermopolisdaysinn.com/index.php/dining
Home of the World's Largest Mineral Hot Springs). Stinky sulphur, but really cool stalactites like at Mammoth in Yellowstone.
Same type of mounted display as Ole's only located in an otherwise blase motel next to the Hot Springs State Park. In the winter, world class mule deer on the lawn will be staring at you through the windows of the dining room while you stare back in amazement and think to yourself, "I could pop him in the ear with a .22 and have 'em caped out and in the trunk before anyone would notice..." Wrong!

Alpine Inn, Hill City, South Dakota
http://www.alpineinnhillcity.com/
Half an hour from Mount Rushmore and 10 minutes to the Crazy Horse Monument is another "don't blink or you missed it" town in the Black Hills. On the30 yards of old west boardwalk lies the nondescript Alpine Inn. I hear their German style lunch is fantastic. For supper (which is the only time I've ever stopped in) there is NO menu. You get a Fillet Mignon either large or small with a baked potato and a wedge of iceberg lettuce. Very modestly priced, yet well aged and tender. You really won't get a better tasting one anywhere. The desserts however are to die for. Incredible hand crafted puffy and fluffy Bavarian pastries that defy description. Fairly pricy they are, but one will satiate two, possibly 3 people. WARNING! If one should attempt to consume a single dessert per person, the following will happen: Men: in two days, your belt will have shrunk at least 2 holes. Women: Your hips and thighs will increase to the point that when back at Mount Rushmore or in Rapid City, other tourists will want to have their foto taken with you thinking you are Kathy Bates. Take my advice and go with at least 2 other couples and mix/match/share a couple of different desserts.
I hear they have a good German beer selection, but I'm no authority on that. I prefer good old watered down American Bud or MGD. Or perhaps I could choke down a Coors if I had just freed myself after having been staked to an ant bed by Hostiles...

Bonsai, Rock Springs, Wyoming
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/324/1326822/restaurant/Wyoming/Bonsai-Rock-Springs
If any of you Yuppies that happen out west and find yourself missing the last Starbucks, Boston Market, Cheesecake Factory, etc back in Denver and need to quell your big city urge to eat some cut bait... WELL HERE'S a deal for you!
Believe it or not, there is a decent sushi bar here in the middle of NoWhere! Not too bad and I've had worse sushi (and more expensive) on the beach in Ventura, CA.
Located about half way between Denver and Salt Lake City on I-80.

Chico Hot Springs, Pray, Montana
http://www.chicohotsprings.com/
Located half way between Livingston (on I-90) and Gardner, Montana (North Gate to Yellowstone Park) lies one of the West's Greatest lodging and culinary jewels hidden off the main road with magnificent views and other amenities. A 100 year old resort spa, it has a Huge outdoor pool naturally fed by SWEET 108°F hot water that goes into a small hot tub (15 X 50 feet) and then overflows into a large 50 X 100' swimming pool. I don't normally go into public hot tubs cuz you know what happens in them... There is constant flow of fresh hot water and the pools are completely drained and refilled EVERY night after the 10:00 PM closing. PLUS there is a bar ten or twelve feet away so you can keep your Rocky Mountain High well maintained. This is clean pure and is the same water served in the restaurant unlike all the H2S stinky springs you may have been too (like in Thermopolis). My favorite time of year there is winter, especially if it is snowing. Nothing like lying in the 100° main pool water at night staring into the inky black Montana night with snow falling on your face.
Oh yes, the restaurant review. It is Montana's only 5 star restaurant. Serving locally grown beef, with green houses and gardens onsite many of the vegetables served are organically grown and very flavorful. In the spring, wild mushrooms are also served.

Oasis Restaurant, Manhattan, Montana
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g45262-d511148-Reviews-Sir_Scott_s_Oasis-Manhattan_Montana.html
This is a MUST give him your business for the Veterans out there, especially if you served in Viet Nam... No, they have no war memorabilia on the walls. Just a small, simple, rustic out of the way steak house that has incredibly low prices, combine with top quality and they feed you like you've been bucking tons of hay all day. Which BTW, many of your fellow diners will have been, or at least WORK for their living on the ranches and wheat fields.
Here's the local legend.
Ted Turner and Hanoi Jane stopped in one evening for dinner. Ted owns the largest private ranch in the state near there just in case you give a rat's behind. The owner politely approached Jane and informed her she had to leave. Ted interrupted and attempted to speak and was immediately cut off. "I know who you are and I know who she is." "You can stay if you want but she is not getting served and YOU (looks at Hanoi J.) WILL leave my bar NOW!"
Disclaimer. I've not been there in a couple of years and have heard it has been sold and the new owner is not continuing it's once stellar reputation. YMMV.

Well, that's all I can come with for the moment.
Of course if any of you happen to be in my neck of the prairie (Casper or Cody Wyoming), feel free to contact me for any advice and direction to local attractions. And if I happen to be around, which is very rare, we can pound a few beers, blast a few rounds, rip some trout lips and pass a few road whore stories back and forth. I'll give you a tour of some my unique spots of God's country in this corner of the planet.

Oh yes, I also provide Geological info tours at no extra charge like I did for my Texas LadyBird friend last summer... Or attend one of my "Tactical Weapons training seminars" like I did for these two Sturgis bound misfits, complete with my private 1,000 yard target range (Hit the rock of your choice on the ridge over yonder)...
Attachment: CokRok.jpg (0B)
Attachment: Bikers-n-guns.JPG (0B)
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Restaurant Reviews-