Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Any info on this odd welding machine?
- - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 10-08-2013 15:38
I have pipelined for many years and have never seen a machine like this.  I have this guy who wants to sell it/trade it to me and I am interested but don't know anything about it.  He said it was a pipeline shorty or a Lincoln junior, 40's model I think.  If you know anything about these machines please chime in
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-08-2013 15:52
Does it look like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-SAE-150J-SAE-200J-Shield-Arc-Junior-Welder-Instruction-Manual-/270943474333#ht_466wt_721

EDIT
nevermind me, there wasn't any pictures in the post when I viewed it a minute ago.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 10-08-2013 15:55 Edited 10-08-2013 16:00
Just got the pictures of it posted up.  Pictures are not the greatest. I felt like I was in a show of American Pickers and had to dig it out from a pile of junk.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 10-08-2013 17:59
I would say they are the same machine
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-08-2013 18:15
I did notice an electric starter on the one in my link. Hand crank on yours.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 10-08-2013 18:26
I noticed that to.  Found another one on ebay but no year of manufacture. I let him barrow that little blue miller maxstar 200 shown in one of the pictures and now he wants to trade straight across. What do you think?

Here's the link I found to the one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-SA-200-JUNIOR-WELDER-VF4D-WISCONSIN-ENGINE-/190902200977?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item2c72a86a91
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-09-2013 15:35
$3250.00 on ebay is NUTS !  :eek:  Can buy a real SA200 in good condition for that.  Wouldn't pay that even if the Wisconsin engine had been all gone through but if has they could have half that much or more just on engine overhaul.  Try it & weld with it first !
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 10-10-2013 20:39 Edited 10-10-2013 20:42
This is like the one I have. Lincoln with a 2 cylinder Wisconsin engine. It is the machine I did the first two things in my life that would shape my future forever. 1. It's the machine I struck my first arc on. My dad had it during our farming years in eastern Washington. 2. Its the first machine that I burned my eyes on. I was 12 years old. I woke up about 1:00 AM screaming in my bed "I’m blind" My mom and dad came running into my room. My dad new right away what I had done.  What a miserable night. It still runs great. If you buy the one you’re looking at and it has the Wisconsin engine. There is a little trick to starting them. Under the carburetor there is this little leaver. My dad called it a tickler. You need to pull that little leaver up and down about 4 or 5 times. This primes the engine, and she will start on about the second crank.

Thanks
Jim
Attachment: images2.jpg (12k)
Parent - By welder_Bob (**) Date 10-08-2013 23:34
Here is what is on Lincolns sight about it.
Attachment: im172.pdf - Im-172 (749k)
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-09-2013 15:31
It's a DC-250-AS powered by Wisconsin VF4 or VFD engine.  Junior size but other say Jr. or Junior or SA200 model S-7081 on the tags.  I've worked on a couple of them that were being used for fence building & light structural work.  They are smaller generator as you can see than the real SA200 with water cooled engines & going to have less duty cycle.  A guy in Canada has several of them and his videos of them are on you tube welding pipe & iron.  You see him starting his with hand crank or electric start in the cold but he must have them rebuilt in very good tune or warmed up before making video :lol:.  Wisconsin engines are famous for hard starting & vapor locking :mad: on hot days plus engine parts are expensive today too.  Idler is a rare seldom seen option on the V4 powered junior sizes.  Most got all or more amperage control by varying the throttle rod or cable adjustment on them.  Some did not have other rheostat on them either.  Wisconsin Motors has free online downloads for Wisconsin & Continental engines and Wisconsin engine accessories.

http://www.wisconsinmotors.com/

DC-250-AS operators manual

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln3/im172.pdf

Parts Page

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln1/p42.pdf
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-09-2013 18:22
I love how people know these facts about welders! Can't see it being the same in twenty years time about new inverter type machines!
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 10-10-2013 01:17
My first portable was a Lincoln with a 2 cylinder Wisconsin crank start. It had 3 posts on one side and 1 on the other. It turned out to be a good  teacher. The other Wisconsin experience was flywheel start and on a baler that ran once a year. That was all suffering
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-10-2013 03:04
Dang it Stan.   And you were beating me up about my old beast on my truck!!    (I know don't even start) You are still in mourning over that shorthood.....ya got to have a rusty ole antique sitting there close to make ya feel better about making your living on that gator eh?

BTW.   are ya going to be able to salvage her?

Actually I think it is pretty cool, I love it when folks take the time to really restore those old machines.   I really love it when they throw em on a truck and run em everyday.:grin::evil::grin:  Buy it and fix it up with all that money you got then find you a 32 Ford to build and throw it on.  SWEET.:grin::cool::grin:
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-10-2013 05:07
lo-hi, That was my first experiences with Wisconsin V4 too one dad had on a older New Holland hay baler.  Cool damp night time to start baling it wouldn't start.  Hot humid day need it to start it vapor locked they can be contrary engines but there are cures I learned from others to saw notches in manifolds to help on vapor lock and other tricks even Wisconsin knew to tell you.  It was always my job to be the mechanic to keep it running that is where my hatred/love thing towards Wisconsin engines started lol.  I still got Wisconsin 1 cyld engines on roto tiller & a pump.  Had one on a generator the camshaft in that V4 sheared in half so yes they are also bad about cam & crankshaft breakage if you don't keep them in shape or been abused before you got it.  I have another rebuilt military surplus Wisc V4 on crate in barn awaiting transfer to a log splitter or some other shop built gadget.  Can't get away from them lol. :eek:
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 10-10-2013 10:39
Is that a hand crank on the front, as old as I am I have never seen one with a hand crank. It might be worth buying just to keep around.

M.G.
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 10-10-2013 14:49
I figured the trade on that miller maxstar 200 that he wants of mine is worth about 1000 dollars. I am in the process of building a new weld test lab.  Might be a good conversation piece to have around.

Yes it is a hand crank on the back of the machine.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-10-2013 19:42
FieldRes is the one I was thinking of who has videos on you tube of several of the Wisconsin V4 Lincoln welders and many SA200s up in Canada.  Those V4 with straight pipe got a little bark to them too ! :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzZLYmuUl34

Last ones had Wisconsin VH4D with electric start, distributor ignition instead of VF4D with hand crank.  I converted a VF4D to electric start with flywheel off a salvage VH4D many parts like that will interchange on them.  Hand cranking one with dist instead of a magneto doesn't work well.  In tune they start well with a magneto hand cranking. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGKfj1UfZuA
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-11-2013 21:28
There is a primer lever on some of the fuel pumps on V4 also but some don't have the primer on them.  Last time I checked fuel pumps for V4 could be had new but can't get rebuild kits for them now.  Finally found pics of a DC 250 AS I fixed up for a guy years ago he is still using it today.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Any info on this odd welding machine?