Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / aluminum tank
- - By lo-hi (**) Date 10-09-2013 11:07
Was called to weld 3" threaded nipples into a couple of large tanks, about 10,000 gallons. One was stainless and not a problem, the other is aluminum. Not a tag or any type of identification anywhere on it. It was used to hold peroxide and is in place horizontal. The stab in will be on the bottom. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to the type of material. Wondering if there is a common alloy used to make tanks. The plan is to go with 4043 and my spool gun, oh and its out in the woods on the side of the road.  Thanks Perley
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 10-09-2013 15:02
The tanks that we built a number of years ago, they where upright tanks and we welded with er5356 filler rod. My friend tried to repair one with 4043 and it would hold for a little while then it would crack, he ask what we welded the tanks with I told him that we used 5356 he made the repair again using 5356 and had no more trouble out of it. It might also help to fine the maker of the tank to fine out what type of material that where used.

M.G.
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 10-09-2013 15:56
Thank you for the reply. Customer bought the tanks second hand and there isn't a sticker or tag anywhere on them. The worst part is that both tanks were supposed to be stainless. Second party transportation and rigged to their slab. These will be bulk storage for maple sap, so a spill wouldn't be catastrophic just really disappointing and embarrassing for the welder. I will take your suggestion and get a spool of 5356 and maybe put a 1/4"saddle around the penetration. Thanks again Perley
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / aluminum tank