Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Considering a move
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-15-2013 17:02
Well, I've been at it for 6 years, proved to myself that I can do this. Have had very successful years as far as gross income but I am considering a move again. Call it the nature of the beast(me). Getting bored of a lot of this stuff I deal with. I like building custom handrail etc., but dealing with the whole residential end is annoying at times. In my minds eye, not worth the effort when Johnny Joe's Welding charges half the rate per foot as I do. I'm not giving up, just bored with it more or less. Worked in a ditch awhile ago, it sucked. The thrill is gone with all of that. Then add in dealing with taxes and the IRS (also annoying). When you send in paperwork then a few months later they send you another notice about the same thing threatening you and you have to deal with the same shyte over again because they suck at what they do.

Getting an offer on a job doing stuff I enjoy and when I say enjoy, I really mean work is fun(again). Waiting to hear what these folks offer me and see if I counter offer or if I just walk away because they have insulted me.

Questions I have though I have several good clients that I don't want to leave hanging but I know a few guys that might be willing to take over caring for their needs. I hate to just hand them over. I've spent the better part of 6 years building a relationship with them. I guess I could sell the business, contacts included except for one or two.

Anybody got any suggestions as far as the business end? I could easily just close the doors and disappear but as I said relationship with some of these clients goes back years and years. Still up in the air about it but things around home are changing and really thinking about kids and their future. In about 6 years or so perhaps I'll be back in this game as a business owner when it's just me and the wife. Probably won't be welding, something we can do together. That's me though, always need change and something fresh, challenging.

Thoughts? Input? Thanks!

Shawn
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-15-2013 23:14
:lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :lol:
Parent - By strother (***) Date 10-16-2013 00:51 Edited 10-16-2013 01:06
Shawn, I've been in the same spot a couple or more times. I think the only ting that keeps me from hanging it up is that I always have one more job for a good customer that I have to get done. A few years ago I passed up a really good job because it took them 4 weeks after the interview to offer me the job and they wanted me to show up for work in 2 days. I was 2 weeks from finishing a job that I had started and felt like I had to finish. A year or so down the the road the company the I was so loyal to tried to screw me over and had to go to court to get paid . In hind sight I think I probably dropped my candy when I turned down a VERY good job offer but it is what it is and every situation is different.I completely understand the headache of handrail and residental stuff. And the tax and other office stuff is a full time job. I wish I could tell you it gets better ,hell I wish someone would tell me it gets better but I've been at it 13yrs. I've had times when I'm on top of the world but for the most part I've just stressed out. I've proved that I can survive this business but at some point just surviving is not acceptable.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-16-2013 03:05
Okay, I've stopped laughing (mostly at myself) and have a little more time now...I think.

Shawn,  I just went through that exact scenario.  My son is now also a CWI and we both wanted out of the shop work and have some great contracts going for the inspections work.  The shop was still going great and we have made it our whole family's life for over 17 years now.

What to do?  What to do?  What to do?  :confused:

None of our employees wanted to run it.  Our main guy went home whenever he could if we were gone (he really didn't need the money just wanted to work but was too insecure to stay incase he might make a mistake).  We couldn't find a manager.  We had lots of INTEREST in buying but no one could come up with money and I wasn't interested in financing. 

After 17 years, plus the 18 the original owner had worked it, there is a great customer base.  This is a relatively small community and we have had the same customers for 17 years and added more along the way.  Try letting go of that.  I can't begin to tell the personal stories that end up making you feel like you just lost a loved one when you finally decide and you close the doors to go on to where you are sure you are supposed to be.  We are still selling some of the equipment that didn't sell before we closed the doors.  We have kept some to do personal projects and satisfy some of the really good customers.

Mainly, you have to go with your own life's goals, desires, and gut.  It isn't an easy decision.  For us, it meant lots of prayer and a lot of counsel from customers, new clients, pastor and friends.  But the decision falls square on your shoulders.  You have to live with it.  And you need to be able to let go completely of which ever one you decide not to do.  Don't look back.  Don't second guess.  Move on and just keep doing your best at whatever you do.

For me, a couple of Scriptures come to mind:
1Co 10:31 "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." 

AND: Ec 3:22 "Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?"

AND FINALLY: Ec 9:10 "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest." 

Good luck, our prayers are with you.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-16-2013 10:27
Hey Shawn,
I always thought that if you have to drag your ass out of bed and go to "work", it's time to look for something else.

Sounds to me like you enjoy the chase of finding and bidding new work.  Can you afford a Supervisor to run the shop while you handle the sales end?  Maybe a partner?

Tyrone
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 10-16-2013 16:06
That is a tough one, I have thought about it a few times myself over the years.
I have been at it about 30 year now and still enjoy it. My only gripe is keeping up with
everything at times.  I have kinda set up things easier I don't bid or advertise and have all good people to work for
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Considering a move