Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D14.1 question
- - By Kyle Date 10-16-2013 12:16
Hey all,

I'm new here, I searched and didn't find an answer, so hopefully my question hasn't already been answered elsewhere.  I am working under D14.1 for lifting equipment and we recently quoted a small lift beam in aluminum.  One of the options we discussed was Tig welding.  These were unloaded secondary welds on spacers.  The problem is, the D14.1 section 8 lists FCAW, GMAW, SMAW, SAW, etc. but doesn't mention GTAW at all.  At the very least I would have to assume it would need to be qualified, but at worst can't be used at all.  We ended up using GMAW and got the job done, but it sure would have been pretty if we used Tig.

Please let me know if anyone has encountered this and/or already got a ruling on it.

Thanks - Kyle
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-16-2013 12:39
Hi Kyle...Welcome.
Out of curiosity, what edition of D14.1 is the current edition?....I have D14.1-97
I wasn't aware that GTAW isn't listed anywhere in the entire code until you pointed it out. We don't Tig anything here at work so it never came up. I scanned the code pretty briskly but I saw no mention of GTAW in any of the pre-qualified details or in any instructions in the WPS qualification clauses either....spells out the processes that you mentioned and that is it.

I'm curious also why GTAW isn't even mentioned.
Parent - - By Kyle Date 10-16-2013 13:13
I have D14.1/2005, which is the most current revision.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 10-16-2013 14:30
Welcome to the forum Kyle.

See AWS D14.1: 2005, Section 9.1.4, which allows the use of pre-existing or new procedures qualified in accordance with AWS B2.1, which provides data for GTAW of aluminum.

Tim
Parent - - By Kyle Date 10-16-2013 15:38
Thanks John and Tim for the welcome.  Tim,  I looked at the bookstore on the AWS main site at the various D2.1 codes.  I don't have any of them on hand.  I did a quick search and found one specific one for GTAW of 18-10 gauge aluminum.  We were welding 1/4" plate, which would be above the limit of this spec.   Is D2.1 like the D1.1 that covers it all in generic form and the various D2.1.... are for more specific processes and applications?

Thanks again, Kyle
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 10-16-2013 16:00
AWS B2.1 :2009 (B as in Bravo) is the latest version of the Specification for Welding Procedure and Performance Qualification.
This will have what you need.

Tim
Parent - By Kyle Date 10-16-2013 16:26
OK, thanks a lot.  I meant to type B2.1, just old habits with D1.1, D14.1 etc.  I appreciate your help on this.  The guys in the shop will be glad to hear we can finally have an excuse to buy a decent Tig welder.

Kyle
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-16-2013 19:20
Kyle,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

In addition to what John, Tim, and Al have already said, most of the time when a code does not cover a particular material then it defers to the code that does cover it.  I don't remember Aluminum being covered in D14.1, though without my book handy that is treading on thin ice with my memory.  Thus, it would defer to D1.2 which is for aluminum and allows the use of GTAW for doing so. 

I think if you look close enough you will find many avenues available in order to use GTAW on your aluminum work incorporated into your D14.1 project. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 10-16-2013 18:18
Most welding standards will permit the contractor to use any welding process or technique desired if the contractor demonstrates the proposed procedure produces the mechanical properties and meets the acceptance criteria listed by the applicable code.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D14.1 question