Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Courses
- - By d_paul71 (**) Date 10-16-2013 16:07
I was curious as to if there were any "free" online courses are offered that will count towards the 9 year certification renewal?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-16-2013 19:30
Surely you jest!!  I know of no college, business, Association, Society, etc, even though called 'not for profit' or even 'non-profit' that is not in it for the money.   Especially if they have developed internet online courses.  There are expenses even if there are not profits. 

I don't think you will find anything that fits the specifications of the PDH's/CEU's that are qualified for the 9 year re-cert.  But, it doesn't hurt to try.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-16-2013 21:30
I was just going to say... "You'll get what you PAY FOR!"
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-16-2013 23:41
The Brazilian subsidiary of ESAB offers for free download from their site an almost complete handbook on welding of 780 pages printed on one side, which obviously means 390 pages printed on both sides.
The handbook includes:
Welding metallurgy
SMAW
MIG/MAG
SAW
FCAW
Welding with St. Steel electrodes
Piping welding
Mechanics of fracture
Safety in welding
It doesn't include TIG.

Of course, the handbook is written in Portuguese language. Get in touch with American ESAB and ask them if they have something similar to offer. 

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-17-2013 01:20
But that will not qualify one for PDH's to accumulate in order to not take the Part B exam at the time of one's nine year re-certification. 

He is trying to get free credits to accumulate PDH's that don't cost him anything and probably also is short on time and needs as many as possible as quick as possible.  For Free!  Did I mention he wants FREE PDH's. 

You can't get those FREE PDH's from downloaded handbooks from ESAB, Miller, Lincoln, or any other supplier.

They must be accrued according to QC1 and/or B5.1.  Normally courses offered to open enrollment through colleges, AWS or other organizations, section meetings, etc. 

You only need 80 of them in nine years.  But if you are down to 3 years and still need, say...60 or more of them, GOOD LUCK.  Take the week long Boot Camp, an Endorsement Exam, or the Part B.  You'll never make it otherwise.  (that is assuming the OP has less than nine years to accomplish this task)

You also will need to know the difference between CEU's and PDH's and how to calculate to know how many PDH's.  MOST college classes are in CEU's but AWS uses PDH's= 80 in 9 years.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By d_paul71 (**) Date 10-18-2013 14:56
HA You make it sound so bad to ask for something that is "free".  I have five years until my renewal.  I received 98% on my Part B exam.  I'm not worried about the time nor the testing.  It was just a question.  A simple "no" i have never heard of one would have been sufficient.  If there was something out there to where I could have started banking hours, I thought, that would have been wonderful.  That's all..

I'll remember to limit my questions.  Or at least use proper content and not to make it seem like a welfare case.....
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-18-2013 15:30 Edited 10-18-2013 15:33
No, it is not bad to ask.  As it is nice to save as much money as possible in any line of work, I understand. 

On the other hand, I did state something along the lines of being worth checking into ("But, it doesn't hurt to try") in my first response.  Just don't get your hopes up because I really doubt that there are any that qualify for the PDH's.

I'm also glad you are planning ahead.  Sorry I leaned so hard on the possibility that you, as so many others, had waited until the last minute to start gathering PDH's.  Honest, my sincerest apologies. 

Don't take the intended humor thrown toward the good Professor to mean we want you to limit your questions.  We all have different mood/emotional swings and at times our humor/sarcasm etc are not worded in a way that indicates the lightness of the response. 

If you are like many of us, we see no need to take the Part B over since we have already proven we can pass that.  It is more important to gather more information, skills, experience- even if only through the experiences of others, than it is to take a test we have already passed. 

Again, I did not mean to offend you nor your inquiry.  I was throwing some lighthearted, though obviously ill timed and worded, sarcasm into the conversation while answering the Professor's suggestions of the manufacturer's handbooks, which are very good they just won't help you get any PDH's. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-18-2013 17:37
We often jest about the cost of things here on the forum...

BECAUSE.. the folks requiring us to spend our money are non-profit orgs.

Please don't take it personally....  If I find free stuff I share it buddy!   But most of these guys lock it up pretty tight.

Now if part of your job includes teaching... You can satisfy that way, as long as the many conditions are met, and that will only cost you the time involved to prove what you do is wothy of consideration. :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-20-2013 22:39
I took a course on filler metals offered by ESAB several years ago. The cost was minimal. They sent a lesson and an examination. You completed the examination and sent it back to ESAB to be graded. The course was well worth the money and it has served its purpose. Since the course is available to the public and since it does have graded examinations, I am pretty certain PDHs could be earned if the proper documentation is submitted to AWS.

You could take notice of Brent's (and my) example of earning the required 80 PDHs by writing articles relating to inspection and welding for any number of trade magazines. At 20 PDHs per article, it doesn't take too much writing to reach the goal.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-21-2013 03:46
Making me look that back up aren't you?  I thought it was only 10 per article. 

Whichever, one must remember the need to get a fair amount of those PDH's during the third three year portion of the nine year cycle. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-21-2013 13:34
Again, you caught me in a fib. It is only 10 PDHs per article. My bad. I thought it was 20, but when you said it was only 10 PDHs, I figured I better check my numbers and POW! There it is, only 10 PDHs per article. I guess I'll have to shorten the articles and write twice as many to rack up the PDHs need for recert!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-21-2013 18:53
:lol: :lol: :roll:
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-22-2013 22:17
Not that I know of but I would love to develop one.

Gerald Austin
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Courses