Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Would CWI license be worthwhile?
- - By 213gragan Date 10-18-2013 14:28
Right now I'm trying to figure out what it is I'm going to do with my trade. I've got 11 years welding experience jumping around in different environments. Ultimately, I want to make the most money possible to fund opening my own side business someday of doing ornamental gates/staircases/gazebos and things of that nature. Might have a bite on a non union pipe welding gig right now. I might also have an opportunity to have the shop I'm at now send me to CWI training after the end of the fourth quarter. That's only a possibility though and I'm barely able to survive on the maximum 40 hours that I'm getting at this shop. Only been here for a year so I'm not married to it. In the end I don't believe I'm going to stay here at this shop regardless. There isn't any work here and I'm not welding as is. Do CWIs make much more money than welders and would it be pretty much a complete career reboot? Would I be starting at the bottom level 1? Or should I just go ahead and get my own rig, stand on the side of the road with a sandwich board that reads "HAVE WELDER-WILL TRAVEL"?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-18-2013 15:43
CWI's make less money per hour than welders with their own rigs but don't have the overhead.  They usually make more than welders employed at a shop.

Worth it?  That all depends upon you, your goals, and what you like to do.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-18-2013 17:23
If your employer offers to send you to the training... GO!

That training will serve you for your whole life, whether or not you choose to become an inspector.  The CWI designation can open doors to quite a number of things... UT, RT, MT training and certs.  If your boss needs that in the future he will pick somebody to get the training that has proven themselves.....  It can help if you are working for yourself or make somebody more likely to want to steal you away from your current employer for more money.

Do not expect the training they send you to to make you good enough to pass the CWI exam... Spend *months* in advance studying the mateirals suggested  (body of knowledge) and the code you will be testing on.

As mentioned above... Mobile field welders make great coin...  Inspectors can get up there in time... I know some inspectors who have many different certs that can charge what they like... But they are very experienced and have earned the right to set their own price... When you can make or save somebody big bucks, and word gets out, everything changes.

BTW

Welcome to the forum!

Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-18-2013 17:52
Generally speaking, Anytime an employer is willing to provide upgraded training for you, I would think it is in your benefit to accept this.
Oftentimes though they (employer) wants a contract where if you quit with in a certain time frame, you must pay them back.
If that be the case, make sure you are willing to hang with this employer, or accept the financial burden.
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 10-22-2013 17:45
If it is offered, get the CWI. It can make life a lot easier. If you want the big bucks and an easy life, get a degree and let the field people figure out how you want something done from your climate controlled office.

The rates can run from $3000 per week to $6000 per week and maybe more in some circumstances, I can attest to some of that, the upper limit is hearsay. Part of the pay is per-diem which is usually not taxable. Check with your accountant. Pay is usually dependent on experience and the type of job. Overtime is sometimes paid. Check the pay package carefully. Per-diem may not be offered or available. Cell phone, computer, camera, and tools may be paid extras. Vehicle mileage may be paid or you may get a flat rate per day plus mileage. Always request a pay package from the employer. Know what you are supposed to be paid before you leave home. Tales about getting offers and actual pay after you arrive on the job are frequent.

Life can be good if you can stand being gone all the time. I worked all over most of my home state, home Sundays most of the time, sometimes working out of the home office for several months. Couldn't wait to get back out on a new project.

Good Luck and be sure you are prepared for the test.
- - By 213gragan Date 10-18-2013 17:34
Alright, so how does one go about getting started with his own rig in the field? Buy the gear and consumables, I got that. What would costs be like as far as is there insurance I would have to carry or any other licenses i would have to have? I'm fairly new to the Houston area and I hear that a lot of the field jobs are kind of on the good ole boy system and if you don't know people then you'll get run off.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-18-2013 18:01
From my experience, "The Good ol' Boy" network might be helpful in finding the jobs.
If you can perform the job as good or better than your fellow welders (pass all NDE with acceptable production quantity), then you are good to go.
If you are not in the clique then you might get the first ROF, but this is often a good thing.
Parent - - By 213gragan Date 10-19-2013 15:54
ROF?
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 10-19-2013 17:42
Reduction of force=Lay off

If you know where to find it, there's good money in welding and inspection. In most situations, as you are experiencing now, less hours equals less money and more hours equals more money. Shutdowns, outages, turnarounds, overhauls typically provide lots of hours and nice paydays.
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 10-20-2013 21:20
we call it ROMF
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-20-2013 21:44 Edited 10-21-2013 06:13
Nope Duke,
ROF and ROMF are completely different critters!
When the Project Mgr calls the law on you, then the Sheriff gives you a ride to a dead end road into a swamp and tells you "I don't want to see YOU EVER AGAIN!!!" That my friend, is an an ROMF!
ROF is totally cool, and I've managed to have a few in my 40 years of working in this trade.
The aforementioned incident is an extreme example...
- By hvymax (**) Date 10-22-2013 15:11
If your employer is willing to foot the bill do it. It is rather expensive and the pass rate is low. It can come in handy but unless you are willing to travel from job to job or live on a pipeline or internationally it is not generally "All That". It is IMO the highest credential in all of welding and bragging rights are always good and you will get hired just as a QC presence on some jobs. Take the time to tab out your codebook so you can find what you need (I used all 3 sides of the book). The codebook is the killer so manage your time well. The rest of the test is paying CLOSE attention to the questions and carefully evaluating each possible answer.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 10-22-2013 15:37
First, the CWI credential is not a license. It is simply a certification issued by AWS to those individual that meet the qualification requirements, pass the requisite examinations, and anti up the required monies to AWS.

Any credential is worthwhile if it sets you apart from your competition and provides a recognized attestation of your qualifications. Of course, it goes without saying that the credential must be relevant to position you are seeking. Who cares if you can dig faster and deeper than your competitor unless you are applying for the job of digging ditches. 

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Would CWI license be worthwhile?