Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / writing a quality manual
- - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-19-2013 04:08
how would I write a quality manual for my 1 person shop, to qualify for AWS welding fab cert?
thank you for your time and consideration
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-19-2013 13:39 Edited 10-19-2013 13:43
Are you sure you want to?

Are you sure it is going to benefit you to compensate for the cost?

The total cost of any program for Pre-Approved shop status can add up to anywhere from $7500-15,000.  And you have to go through audits at least every three years so the cost in ongoing.  AWS's program is not recognized in all jurisdictions either.  Many cities have their own program and it is cheaper, easier and recognized by your local people.  AWS may not be.  Here, I have city of Phoenix.  If I want broader coverage, I can get Clark County, NV which is Las Vegas area.  Theirs is recognized by many others.  If I really want a good one, I go and get one of the CA cities like LA or even San Diego.  Many smaller communities, like mine here in central AZ, recognize any of these as it shows them you have a program in place and they can't afford to do that kind of code enforcement and audits etc.

The majority of the reasons for it are to do contracts without in shop inspections.  But if you go through AISC and IBC carefully you find there are still a couple of in shop inspections not to mention all the paperwork for yourself.

Plus, how do you set up a QC program independent of production and even management when you are all three? 

The best way is to hire an outside TPI/CWI when you are trying to get such a contract and include their wages in your bid package.  Now, you don't pay them, but their cost is included in your bid.  Your customer just doesn't pay you that portion of the contract and pays the TPI directly but it isn't coming out of his pocket totally because you already had it calculated in to your price as not being a pre-approved shop.

One other factor, many customers will go ahead and hire a TPI to monitor the shops activities even if they are pre-approved.  In fact, contracts going to some areas, like CA, are required to be continuously inspected by the customer's TPI/Verification Inspector. 

Now, having said all that and asked the questions, the best place to start out is to go to the ICC website, the sponsoring organization for the International Building Code.  Find a document that is a free download called the 'Model Program for Inspections'.  I'll try and find the link and add it here in a bit.

You will need a copy of most of the AWS D1 Code books: D1.1, D1.3, D1.4, D1.8 at the least, as well as other documents in their publication.  You will also need AISC Construction Manual which contains: Specs for Buildings, RCSC for Bolting, and the Code of Standard Practice.  Then you will need AISC's Seismic Design Manual. 

You will find in the AISC's Seismic Design Manual and in D1.8 a clause about Special Inspections and a requirement for a Statement of Inspections.  Now, the Engineer has things he must specify to be done, but, the TPI has things that must be on his check list.  I say this because it will give you some ideas of things you will need to do for your in house inspections as well as prepare you for what the TPI will be looking for on the couple of visits he makes to your facility.  Plus, it will give you some other ideas to cover your fabrication portion of your QC Manual.

Then, besides the Model Program Download, you need a copy of the IBC.  At least a 2006 which is what most cities are still using.  But, probably a 2012 as they are getting ready to adopt it and you will need to be ready for the changeover.  Many things have changed in the 2012.

My QC Manual is about 40 pages long all together.  And that is only for my QC/QA work in my shop and as a TPI.  It does not include the fabrication shop portion. 

This is not an easy thing to do.  That's why, for most companies, it costs so much to set up.  They hire these things done or a person on staff to do it if they are large enough to afford it.

You are also going to need a safety program, an employee's Policy Guide that covers many labor situations, and so much more.

As I said, Are you sure it is going to benefit you to the point that it is worth it?  Or is this just a person status pipe dream? 

I'm not trying to put down the idea, or you.  Just asking the questions.  Good luck.

Oh, also, if you should be able to get lots of information of the AWS website about the program including, a believe it's free, a download of the specifications for the Fabricator Shop Certification Program that gives you a list of the requirements.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-19-2013 19:28 Edited 10-19-2013 20:09
Brent:
I do know a little about fab shops, had one in LA ca, class C general contractor.
my real questions you did bring up.
"Plus, how do you set up a QC program independent of production and even management when you are all three?"
you set me on the track there and should that be short and sweet in the manual?
"You are also going to need a safety program, an employee's Policy Guide that covers many labor situations, and so much more."
safety program is me being safe, and following most osha rules (but I never wear a hardhat, own 3 but never use them being only me in the shop or field. safety glasses wearing them, but my reading glasses, welding screens none, again only one in the shop or the field.)
and employee policy guide? ( mine would say work safe and quality counts:grin:)
should I have a management policy guide?( mine would say make a profit:twisted:)
and this might be an ego driven thing, but have all the experience and equipment a top flight fab shop has.
just wondering if the headaches are worth the honor of the certs with aws, aics, api, etc.
Thank you for your time and consideration
Sincerely
Kent
btw: why my shop is just me is I am awful to work with and worse to work for:twisted:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / writing a quality manual