Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / 500 Feet
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-20-2013 20:50
We've been on an 845 foot tower for the last two weeks. Between wind and rain it has been pure murder to get anything done. I'm playing top hand at the moment and hand to move our block up another 100 feet. Cruised up the outside of the tower to 400, tied it off and lowered the load line back down only to have the wind literally blow it out about 50 feet away from my guy waiting below to connect to the tag line. Climb back down the outside with my positioning pelican connected to the rope where we could mate the two once again.

We hung steel horizontals up to 375 and as my rookie made his way down I decided to make a mad rush to 500 feet. Up I went, stopped for a few minutes to snap some pictures, a few selfies then mad dash back down the ladder. Met my rookie at 50 feet, passed him and was back on the ground. Still have 345 feet to go for a new personal best. It was odd though, 500 feet just didn't seem like much of anything different. Little more wind but the day was already a bit windy, or breezy as the weather nuts around here call everything. Here's a few pic's.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-20-2013 22:14 Edited 10-20-2013 22:20
So, did you monkey up to the 845'? I'd have had to find a way myself, just to hit the high mark.My personal, nonscientific hypothesis was this. Each foot off the ground represents a % of death upon impact. 10 feet, you have a 10% chance of croaking if you land wrong... 50 feet, I know those who claim to have survived this fall. Can't say for sure, I weren't there..., seen a 30' footer that made it.
100 feet, yeah, you're pretty much a "Gone Johnson"! Plan the work, work that Plan. It'll all be good.
Some day I'll have to tell the story of a circus net at 175'...
Super cool fotos BTW.
Enjoy! I'm envious.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-21-2013 03:03
Yeah, at a point you're just a gonna go splat!! Have not made the journey to the top yet. It is in our schedule at the end of the job to get there, snap some pictures and hang out for a minute. Will have to get on the outside of the tower obviously!! Our new guy is doing well but he is still quite nervous on the outside of the tower. He does not like it much. We were working at 375 the other day and I have a lanyard I can wrap around larger angles. I threw it up above me about 5 feet above the x bracing. I was working two legs and was leaned over pretty heavy. The lanyard slid about 6 inches to a foot quickly, I kept on working and just started laughing. My new recruit said holy cow! Don't do that, your making me nervous! Typically that is what we call a heart check, it checked his heart more than mine. I've had it happen countless times but always have my safety lanyard connected. I double check all of my connection points before I sit in the seat so I know I'm not going anywhere. Poor kid just shakes his head at me sometimes.

When I get the 800 plus pictures I will definitely post them up! Circus net?? Hmm, sounds interesting!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-21-2013 05:53
Heart Check! I love That!
Don't tell the Missus about those. They just don't seem to fully grasp the "FunFactor" of life on the high iron.
I'm fairly sure I never told mine the Circus net story.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-22-2013 11:27
Yeah, some things are better left unsaid to the Misses!!
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 10-21-2013 18:06
To add to your percentages thing.  Everything on this planet falls toward the ground at 9.8 meters per second or 22 mph, per second of free fall.  So drop for 1 second, you hit the ground at 22mph, 2 seconds equals 44mph, 3 seconds equals 66mph and so on.  Now those figures don't take into account air resistance.  So if one day you take the golden step and you hit doing a spread eagle, your max speed is about 125mph.  If you decide to do a header you'll probably be doing about 175mph.  So I guess it would be safe to save, if you fall for more than 3 seconds, you're screwed.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-22-2013 14:38
Nice pics Shawn, my son sent his mother and I a picture from on top of the Astoria Bridge between Oregon and Washington spanning the Columbia River the other day. He was 400' over the water walking on the upper superstructure(with hand rails of course). A cool picture too, just not so much from his mom's point of view. Enjoy the fresh air up there and keep those awesome pictures coming. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-24-2013 01:06
I posted pictures on facebook from 275 my first time and my Mom said that was not something she wanted to see. She don't even comment on the 400 and 500 pictures!! She might fall out when I post this 845 picture! Haha, the Empire State Building is only 1250 feet to the top of the roof. At 845 feet I'll have climbed halfway up the Empire State Building!! :lol::lol:
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-24-2013 04:42
Climbing is for you young folk, The only way you will get me that high is to install an elevator. :smile:
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-05-2013 14:06
Almost 43 years old! I climb faster than most of the young guys I work with! :lol::lol:
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 10-21-2013 14:36
Hello;
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. In the fourth picture; how do you get a pond/lake that blue? Maybe I am used to mud bottom tanks and rivers. Crossed over the Brazos the other day and it was almost chocolate milk color. Looks like a job of a lifetime there. Definately something to tell the kid/grandkids.

Have a good day;
Matt
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-22-2013 11:26
You know I'm not sure Matt. I'm sure it's a man made lake but we were talking about that the other day while looking at it, "how is that so blue".
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-20-2013 22:44
Nice bird's eye view without the wings. Key phrase of the day: "Without the wings."

Nice photos!

Al
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 10-22-2013 01:43
In 3 seconds falling I bet I could use every bodily function available, several times over.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / 500 Feet