Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / No Certified Welder
- - By AS_Coordinator Date 10-22-2013 18:28
I was just audited last week, my auditor told us that a non certified welder can work on a government job as long as a certified welder signs off is this true?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2013 01:12
I answered in your other post, this is a better location.

So, this is a D17.1 job for a government military customer.  And your auditor tells you that a non qualified welder can do the welding as long as a qualified one signs off on it.

I wouldn't touch that with a 100' pole, not until I checked out the codes and the customer's contract documents.  Sounds highly suspect to me.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-23-2013 12:21
There are aerospace/aircraft repair stations that use a practice of having unliscenced mechanics (A&P or AMT) do structural and hydraulic repairs and have a certified A&P mechanic do the signing... Typical and allowable per FAA no matter how stupid it sounds.

It sounds like this is what your client is after....    It can't happen and still comply with D17...    This code requires all welders and procedures to be quailfied by testing on each of the material groups used in production... No exceptions
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2013 13:49
I'm rather curious as to what role this auditor played?  Was he a client rep?  A govt rep? An organization such as AISC, AWS, FAA, etc rep? 

Why was the audit performed?  For a particular job?  Or for the general work status of the shop and it's procedures?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By AS_Coordinator Date 10-23-2013 19:35
He was a BSI auditor, it was our yearly audit for AS9100c
- By hvymax (**) Date 10-22-2013 18:33
There are projects where a certified welder is not required. My experience is these things are never checked except for structural or pipe. Of course there are Corps of Engineers projects where everything is picked apart. If it specifies a certified welder it better be a certified welder.
- - By soum-momo Date 10-22-2013 18:42
my name is MORIBA and i am not certified in welding. my precess in welding is arc
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-23-2013 13:36
Welcome Moriba;

Join the crowd were welding is the common passion. Second only to, well we had better not go in that direction. The heck with it, welding is our passion, second only to good food. What did you think I was going to say?

What form of arc welding are you familiar with? I ask because people from different countries often use different terminology to describe the same welding process. Shielded metal arc welding (commonly called stick welding) is one welding process that is widely used, especially in the field. Gas metal arc welding (commonly called MIG welding in the USA and MIG/MAG in Europe. We see GMAW used extensively in shop that fabricate both light gage sheet metal and heavy structural steel. The variant used for sheet metal is called GMAW-S (short circuiting transfer). Heavy structural steel requires higher heat input, so we often use either spray transfer or globular transfer. Both transfer modes are still GMAW, but the way the electrode melts and the droplets transfer across the arc are different. Fluc cored arc welding is similar to GMAW in that a continuous electrode is used and both are considered to be semi-automatic when operated by a welder.

Welcome aboard.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-23-2013 13:42
With regards to the practice of using a noncertified welder welding under h direction of a certified welder; "No way Jose!"

The only code that makes provisions for the use of noncertified welders is ASME. That practice is permitted only for tack welds that are completely removed before the production weld is made. Even that practice may be limited to a specific construction code such as Section VIII.

What are the repercussion of the noncertified welder making a "bad weld?" Does the certified welder overseeing the work lose his certification?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2013 13:46
Moriba,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Doesn't matter if you are certified or not to be welcome here.  What matters is your desire to learn, share your experiences and knowledge, and have a little fun. 

Your post was rather brief.  Are you interested in becoming certified? 

As Al asked, do you know the various designations to be able to tell us more about the 'type' of arc welding you use? 

Did you have a question about it or were you just taking the opportunity to introduce yourself? 

Enough of my questions for now.  Again, WELCOME.

Have a  Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2013 13:51
Oh, as for me, the welding is in third place...right after my family which takes second only to the service of my God.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / No Certified Welder