Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Questions about CWI and CWEng
- - By Wc917 Date 10-22-2013 20:51
Hi all and thanks in advance for any info that you decide to share.

First about the CWEng:

Do many companies recognize this certificate, or do they prefer degreed engineers? Ie: is it worth the time/effort/cost?

Second am I eligible? The AWS site says 7 years experience with an AAS in engineering or 5 years with a bachelors in science.  I have 7 years total experience 6 as a boilermaker on the railroad, and 1 year in aerospace, where I currently am. I have an AAS in Electrical Engineering Technologies and a Bachelors of science in Business Management.

Is there any practice tests available to see what areas I should focus my studies on? 

I have just began to research this designation and would like as much info as possible about it.

My current company wants a more "technical" background for their managers, hence my thinking on taking the CWEng exam as well as the CWI.

For the CWI is the purchase price of books refundable from the seminar price? I plan on buying the books and studying for a couple months before the exam, but I read the books are included in the seminar/exam price.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2013 01:07
Don't know much about the CWEng.

No, the cost of the books in not refundable.  But, I strongly recommend buying them for self study before the seminar.  Just give your duplicates to someone who can use them or sell them here on the forum.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Think Positive (*) Date 10-23-2013 11:37
Did you check this website for the example test questions for exam preparation?  The last time I looked there were sample questions posted.

Regarding the use of CWEs in industry, I have only encountered one company in the last 32 years that requested this qualification - but some welding engineer job descriptions these days do say "or similar degree or qualifications....".  The tide may be shifting, and it really depends on the industry, what products they are welding, what materials, what codes...yada yada....The welding industry in some respects is similar to the medical industry in that specialization often helps as far as optimizing competence.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Questions about CWI and CWEng