Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Introduction and a question about a symbol!
- - By kingcohiba Date 10-26-2013 20:36
Hello All. My name is Brian, and I am from NW Ohio. I struck my first arc in 95 and have been in the industry ever since. I've worked as a welder/fitter, inspector (both in structural steel) and now as an instructor. I have been teaching about 6-7 years now full time and like it alright. It is much like the elevator business with its ups and downs!

I consider myself pretty well versed in welding symbols, but have a question about a very basic joint. I am making a drawing for my class to work on in the future, and am wondering whether to use a fillet symbol, or a flare bevel symbol. This is important because I don't want to show them something incorrect. I am leaning toward the flare bevel symbol, but I have seen this exact joint drawn with fillet symbols.

Any help would be appreciated. I look forward to learning and contributing where I can here too.

And it is not allowing me to attach my picture. The joint I am talking about is a flat plate, with a piece of steel angle iron laid on top of it so that the heel of the angle is pointing up.

This link, first picture....assume the white surface is the plate those angles are being welded to. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-2-x-1-1-2-x-1-8-INCH-THICK-STEEL-ANGLE-IRON-/160372217833
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-27-2013 03:22
Brian,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

You pose an interesting question about the 'correct' weld/welding symbol for this joint.  Based upon D1.1 Clause 2 as well as A2.4 you are dealing with a skewed joint with a 45° angle.  According to these codes it is not truly a fillet weld.  But, just because the angle iron toes have a slight radius does not really classify it as a flare bevel weld/joint either. 

We find this often with a few joints and the required welds to complete them.  Most often you will find this joint and it's weld symbolized with a fillet weld symbol.  But, according to the applicable codes what it really requires is a weld detail with all the applicable details for completion of the weld.

Hopefully someone else will chime in, but for now I'll have to leave it at that.  I will look up exact references later if they are needed.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 10-28-2013 03:53
When a standard welding symbol does not convey the information needed by the welder or the inspector, the detailer should use a detail showing the joint and the required weld.

This sounds like a case where a standard welding symbols doesn't do the job justice. Assuming D1.1 is the applicable welding standard; the weld doesn't sound like a typical fillet weld because the dihedral angle isn't more than 80 degrees and it isn't less than 100 degrees. So, the structural drawing should indicate what the required fillet throat is and the detail shop drawing should indicate the required leg size and take into consideration any Z-loss.

I agree with Brent on this situation.

Good luck.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Introduction and a question about a symbol!