Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Vertical Up Groove With FCAW
- - By louis2 (**) Date 10-28-2013 15:03
We are using E71T with 75/25 shielding gas, vertical up, 3/8" plate, 45 degree groove, 1/4" root gap, 1/4" thick backing strip. Can we weave the root, filler and face? Or should weaving not be done with FCAW vertical up?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-28-2013 15:33
You may want to take a look at your written welding procedure, on this document it should tell you whether stringers or weaving is allowed.
Hope this helps.
Parent - - By louis2 (**) Date 10-28-2013 16:23
No procedure. It is just a welding contest and I believe they will allow weaving. I just wanted to know if it was an acceptable technique for FCAW vertical.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-28-2013 16:34
Just make sure to read the welding procedure carefully before beginning if you show up for the contest and they hand you one.
Weaving in the root is dicey in my opinion, there is chance of leaving something in the sides each time you weave, but some welders can handle it and do OK.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-28-2013 16:36
Absolutely allowed, absolutely workable.  It will also depend upon what you are calling a 'weave'.  As long as you aren't trying to do what I call Gorilla welds weaving is fine. 

The largest problem with weaving is the heat build up on some materials that are sensitive to too much heat.

If the coupons were being bent, which is sometimes the tie breaker for contests, then you would want small to no weaving in order to keep your heat input low or you will have a problem with the metallurgical properties and the coupon stands a higher chance of breaking. 

Are you using .045 or .065 (1/16) wire?  Either should be fine but obviously the larger electrode will carry more heat and the larger your weave the more heat it will carry.  The more heat you carry the harder to make a good looking weld especially on thinner plates which will not have anywhere for the heat to go.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-28-2013 17:06
Hey Brent, are you having a mathematical moment?............ ".065(1/16")", or did you mean .0625? Sorry I just had to do it. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-28-2013 17:39
Good catch Allan :wink:

Sometimes they round it up and call it .063.... 
.065 might be a stretch
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-29-2013 02:48
Eh, what's a couple of thou among friends?  OOPPSs, I forgot, inspectors don't have friends. 

Besides, it is definitely close enough for gov't work...but we won't start that discussion.

Thanks for keeping me straight guys. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-28-2013 19:03
Brent is correct... Absolutly workable.

Look to the wire manufacturers suggested settings for vert, and make sure that you are using the parameters (voltage especially) for mixed gas...  There are differences between brands that can cause issues.

Also,  Inexperienced folks or folks that have not had a lot of practice weaving a V groove on a 3/8" test plate, will often end up with excessive reenforcement on the cover pass.

Furthermore, on guided bends, if the welder spaces the weaves excessively (a scalloped look at the toes) it is common for tears to occur at the weld toes of each weave...   Keeping a straight line at the toes is critical.

You will probably find that with Lincoln, Hobart, ESAB brands of FCAW E71T-1 fillers that you will get superior weld bead control in the vertical position when you run at the *upper* range of the suggested parameters for vertical welds.   They are designed for production!
At least this is my observation of 1000s of 3/8" guided bend tests over the last 10 years
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Vertical Up Groove With FCAW