Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Correction
- - By gastonM (**) Date 10-31-2013 20:28
D1.1 questions.
1) Do you accept a prequalified WPS using B-U2a-GF single V butt joint, to correct a root opening of 19mm on a 1/2" plate thickness, wich has been designed with the same joint configuration but  with 6mm of root opening.
2)  Do you accept the same prequalified WPS , to correct a root opening of 19mm on a corner fillet, being fillet outside and backing inside.

If someone can help me, i can upload a skecht to clarify the question.

Regards
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-31-2013 20:58
If I understand you correctly the tolerances will allow you up to 12mm but you have 19mm so you still need to butter the edges by a total of 7mm to close the gap before welding to the aforementioned WPS can proceed. 

I need to check something but that would not be my first choice.  You are doing a repair in order to get the gap to the approved dimension.  It would at that point be a surfacing weld.  Then you let it cool, clean it up, place your backing bar, and weld it up as specified. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By gastonM (**) Date 11-01-2013 11:24
You have understood, but the difference is, that the buttering weld is made against the backing. Once after i built up, the short plate, I will make the fillet weld. I have qualified, a wps with GMAW, with a root opening of 19mm for butt joint. My question is: it´s necesary qualify a wps with FCAW for this job, and if i need to qualify it wich should be the way.
Could you tell me how to upload pictures?.
Thanks in advance
Gastón.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-01-2013 12:51
Okay, here is the catch to me.  One of the things that is to be avoided is building in too much shrinkage stress which is what you will get if you weld the buttering passes with the backing in place and bond to it from both sides.  Now, if you put the backing in place but don't tie in to both sides and the resultant shrinkage does not pull the parts away from each other so you end up with a gap between the backing and the other member. AND, the backing was not attached to the other member even by tacking, You could butter up from one side only until the root opening was at the specified parameters and then let your parts cool before beginning your welding passes that would actually tie both members together.

You either need to butter without the backing to close the opening or proceed as described above. 

Relating this to your original question, I still think you need a separate procedure to do so.  And, I still need to check a thought out that keeps nagging at me about proceeding with the repair.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By gastonM (**) Date 11-01-2013 15:40
Assuming I can persuade you about proceeding with the repair. Would you accept one PQR with a butt joint and 19mm root separation to qualify the buttering welding, and a separate WPS for fillet weld?.

Regards.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 11-01-2013 00:59
D1.1 states:

5.22.4 Groove Dimensions
the dimensions of the cross section of the groove welded joints which vary from those shown on the detail drawings by more than these tolerances shall be referred to the Engineer for approval or correction.

What is the Engineer's advise?

~Joey~
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 11-01-2013 07:57
Repair could be by buttering welding. I guess the use of pre-qualified WPS may not be applicable.

~Joey~
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Correction