Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / 835 FEET!!
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-04-2013 14:45 Edited 11-04-2013 14:54
Last day on the job, all welding finished and the crew was finishing up taking pictures. Perfect day for a little climb. 845 feet to the base of the antenna but at 835 the ladder turned into a rough looking pile of junk I would not trust my worst enemies life to!!! Hands down one of the coolest things I've ever done!! Well worth the trip! It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to get to the top, was taking it easy, go 50 feet, rest for about 5 minutes then go 50 more. Up higher I started remarking all of the sections with the height as they were all sun faded and missing. Once at the top I did the usual, hang outside, take pictures and text message some friends and family and enjoy the view. The climb down took all of 20 minutes! That was with a stop off at 275 to talk to the guys from the crew. Exhilarating!!
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 11-04-2013 17:37
Proof that the earth is round after all!  :twisted:
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-04-2013 18:05
Do you take the expressway down from there? You know, clip onto the guy wire and zip on down.
Ok...You're making me nervous watching you fool with that phone and not holding on...LOL

Soaring with the eagles!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-04-2013 18:29 Edited 11-04-2013 18:33
Haha! No, climbed all the way down. Climbed 1670 feet in around 2 hours. We've talked about an emergency escape route down the guy wires though!! Only time I hold on with my hands is when I'm climbing or repositioning, other than that they're in my lap or working on something. We actually saw an eagle after I got on the ground flying around the tower. The guy I worked with a bunch over the last month called me Tarzan, monkey man!

Just FYI, the observation deck on the Empire State Building is on the 86th floor(and 102nd). I was technically three stories below the observation deck and didn't take no elevator to get there!!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-04-2013 18:50
SWEET!
Some people get the really fun gigs.
I remember the first time I looked DOWN and saw a bird flying by... Kinda messes with the mind...
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-04-2013 21:06
I was eye level on our last tower with a buzzard! Kinda gives you an uneasy feeling wondering if he knew something you didn't!! :lol::lol:

One guy was supposed to come up with me but didn't. He said he should have but was saying that it was something that scares you but you want to defeat that fear. I laughed and was thinking scared? I hit 700 feet, the end was near and I was having a hard time stopping to take my rest, just wanted to get to the top!! It was definitely bad azz!! Now I will have a hard time finding a tower to beat my current personal record! This was a rarity for this company. Usually the highest they go is 500 feet, normal is 300. My wife thinks I have lost my mind completely!!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-04-2013 23:36
Shawn,

Need to ask you some questions, check your pm in a bit.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 11-06-2013 12:11 Edited 11-06-2013 12:13
Holy crap Shawn,
My spidey senses were tingling just looking at your pictures!
Stupid question.....what do you tie off to while ascending/descending?
Tyrone
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-06-2013 13:08 Edited 11-06-2013 13:18
They have a 1/4" "safety cable" you can use combined with a cable grab, however, the cable on this tower was a mess. It was off center of the ladder, pushed off to the side around stuff and generally looked unsafe. When I went up to the top of where we were going to be working I had to carry a safety rope up and secure it around 350 feet. Free climbing, sort of, I had to clip off with my safety, climb a few feet, clip the other safety, unclip the other. It's a slow go that way. Once we have the safety up we use rope grabs which slide freely as you climb so you can keep your safety pelicans on your harness.

After 350 feet when I made my big climb I just swapped pelicans left to right hooking off to the ladder. Osha allows free climbing on the towers and I must admit I have briefly due to certain conditions but generally do not as it is not worth dying over. Not a stupid question at all. Sometimes finding a place to tie off is part of the trick on these things! I carry small straps with me to wrap the legs and hang from. The angles at times are to big for you safety pelican so you safety off to x bracing. On the ladders you don't safety off to the rung itself, they say if you do fall it is not heavy enough to save you so you safety off to the side of the ladder above the rung. I have seen guys safety off to the wind bracing, another unwise move as this stuff is flimsy and useless but at times it's all you have and you hope it will slow you down enough to give you a chance to grab something. They talk safety but when you climb around on one of these things for weeks on end trying to work on them it becomes obvious that they were not built with your safety in mind.

The cable safety on this 845 foot tower, once I got up there I noticed it was fed thru a snatch block, the cable was folded over and wrapped with electrical tape. The snatch block was hung off of a cobbed together cable wrapped around a piece of angle. Trust my life to this rig?? Heck no!! Told the foreman when I got down, don't trust your life to that 1/4" safety cable because what I saw at the top would make you soil yourself. Like anything else they are not going to spend money unless they are going to make money, a safety cable won't make them money like selling space to a wireless provider does. Most of the towers I have been on have a 3/8" cable to the top for your cable grab and that is how you get up and down. Once you get to your location though most of the time we safety off and climb around where needed, the pelican shuffle. Climbed up the outside of the tower hauling our load rope some 125 feet using my safety pelicans, it's how it's done. I'm not going to talk myself up but doing this you really need to be comfortable in your location.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-06-2013 15:39
I think I will stick to the ground level or down in the bell hole:grin:

I got sick just looking at the pictures.

As I don't get off the ground much. Three years ago I took a double time job on a shutdown right by my house.  Had to climb up to what they said was 150 ft. But think it was closer to 900 ft.  First day on the job about 75 ft off the ground and I was thinking man is this really worth 4k a week LMAO. I made the job but my superintendant gave my heck the whole rest of the job after it took me all of two hours of white knuckle gripping to get up the courage to make the whole 150 accent that first day.  A few days into it and I got desensitized.  But I have no desire to  let my feet depart from this green earth.

I am glad we have dare devils that are willing to do that kind of work but it is not in my blood.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-06-2013 16:53
Understandable!! I worked about 800 feet of 4" gas pipe about a month ago after hanging from a 300 footer for about a month. I just could not get back into the "excited" zone by being off in the ditch. The view in the ditch was horrible, I got dirty(:lol:), climbing out of a 4 foot whole was harder than climbing the tower, the view was horrible....did I already say that?? I had to stand up more(:sad:). When I'm on the tower I move to my new location and my chair is already under my bottom, clip off and have a seat! The pay me to sit on my butt for 8,9, 10 hours a day!!

Like you said, daredevils. There is a job for everybody and some jobs are not for everybody.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-06-2013 15:50
I just took a better look at the material that tower is built out of....Ummmm, I'm not sure that I would have made it up to your first rest stop at 50 feet. That thing looks like it is made out of gage material, like a flemsy little ole k series joist. My mind has to be convinced that what I'm holding onto is structurally sound and I'm not sure my mind would make that connection from looking at the pics. A building at least has a floor of decking everynow and again so unless i'm loking over the edge at the pourstop i can make my mind get around the fact that I'm up a few feet....I just hate climbing ladders. I'm trying my best to overcome this though....I may need some kind of therapy...LOL....to get over the fear. I have some side work and the building is creeping up off the ground every week.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-06-2013 16:46
It is definitely not for everybody. Our one new guy is having a hard time overcoming his fear with it. He goes up but is back down pretty soon. The legs are made from 5" pipe of some thickness(?), the angles I believe were 3 or 4 inch. The x bracing, 3/4". The uneasy feeling comes from seeing loose bolts even more so when you're climbing the rickety ladder and it shakes because clamps are loose!! The tower owners preach safety and 100% tie off but some of the things you see on these and you really wonder if they give a hoot after all. The new kid I've been working with pointed out some stuff and said, "I really don't like seeing that kind of stuff". Told him you don't really pay attention to it, complete the task at hand and get back to Terra Firma safely. If you dwell on it you'll scare yourself out of a job.

Unfortunately our only quick escape route is climbing back down the tower. In the event of an emergency, "get the hel...off of this tower!!" situation you're pretty much screwed. I've mentioned several times about having a static rope rigged above our highest work area for a quick decent by repelling. I'm not sure how OSHA or the Tower owners feel about repelling off the tower but I know I can be on the ground in a matter of minutes by repel versus climbing down.

I don't think there is any type of therapy!! :lol::lol:

Putting it out of your mind is tiring mentally, perhaps enough of it and your brain goes numb to the location. Others I believe(probably me) get the adrenaline rush and then you're looking for more. 250 feet, 400 feet for me, cake walk. Working at 200 and it's, yawn..... Although at 200 feet on a self supporter with the wind blowing and the tower starts shaking and that adrenaline starts pumping again. Standing on a boom hung several feet off the side of the tower in the very corner where there is nothing in front of you but open air and the earth far below doing your best impression of Jack from the movie "Titanic" on the bow is also quite exhilarating!! Adding to it is a strong wind as the booms wiggle and shake under your feet!!
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-11-2014 04:12 Edited 02-11-2014 04:47
Try doing it without safety gear. I found this kids Russian facebook profile. this guy has bigger cohunes than I have. click on the pics and look thru them.
http://vk.com/kirill_opex#/kirill_opex?z=photo20291825_314024514%2Fphotos20291825

http://vk.com/video20291825_167825599#/video20291825_167641002
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-11-2014 10:30
Ok, tell this Russian kid to do it for 10 hours a day, climb around outside the tower all day and loosen bolts, weld, grind, pull up bags, welding lead, install 20 foot long pieces of steel. He don't have big balls, he's an idiot and one day he'll be a splotch on the ground and I'll be laughing. I can climb it without safety gear no problem but that one little slip and you don't get a second chance, to much stuff to bounce off on the way down and you'll be shredded. We free climb from time to time(with our harnesses) and I did some on this job but then your smart personality kicks the stupid one out and has you remember that family at home that needs you. Climbing without gear would be a breeze, no added weight, no ropes to trip over, safeties to tangle, a welding hood dangling behind me, a day pack swinging off my hip. Want a workout, have the Russian guy haul up 100 pounds of gear strapped to his back.

Think I've seen this guy on tv or youtube or something and thought to myself, oh, to be young and invisible, single without a care in the world. A woman a week or two ago went parachuting and her shoot failed to open. From 3000 plus feet she somehow survived. Maybe the shoot partially opened and caused drag, I don't know. A week ago 2 men died while doing structural mods on a cell tower, 15 last year. We often discuss how quick we could climb without our gear on but common sense takes over.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 02-12-2014 12:53
That's exactly how I feel when I see videos/articles of people free climbing ridiculously steep mountainsides with insane overhangs.  The thrill or challenge doesn't cut it in my books for tempting only one outcome if done long enough.
Tyrone
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-13-2014 14:28
Exactly how I feel!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-12-2014 03:51
The  towers I worked on were solid 6" diameter legs, not pipe.

A tower like the one you are hanging from is more than likely has solid legs as well. Sometimes the cross braces are tubulars.

I see they have a black iron pipe up through the tower. Sprinklers/irrigation for the fields?

Al
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-13-2014 14:36
I don't think this one was solid. Most I have worked on are a heavy wall pipe but others, not so heavy. This one in Indiana is a turd. I start welding up there and a guy starts to climb the foot pegs and I feel every step he takes. I have stopped welding while guys were moving on this heap many times and requested they not be up there working while I'm welding. The movement of the tower was to much to contend with. They grab ahold and pull up to start moving and shake the tower so bad it would literally move away from the arc, instant undercut, then wobble back and forth. This one has been the single worst p.o.s I have worked on up to now. I have to go home and weld some 3G and open root pipe just to make sure I can still weld after this job. The only one where I have looked at the code to see how much undercut was allowed. Nobody on the job or back at the office can comprehend what I am talking about but nobody else has been under the hood trying to hold a straight line either.

The black pipe is most likely a 6" copper tube, heaven forbid the thieves realize this. All of the cables for the television transmission antenna on top ran thru this. We pulled down a bunch of 3 inch in Missouri a few weeks back off an old tower with the big horns on it. Just pitched it off the tower then picked it up and put it in a pile. Hundreds of feet of copper tube, 1/8" wall. When we came back from break somebody stole the company trailer and all of the copper.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-10-2014 19:05
Oh Boy :confused:
Got a call today about a structural inspection on an antenna install on a cell tower. Do you have any words of wisdom for this chicken who may have to climb one of these structures someday?
Anything that is an absolute DO NOT DO [fill in the blank]...that I should know about?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-10-2014 19:06
What welding code do you reference for weld acceptance/rejection on these structures?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-10-2014 19:44 Edited 04-10-2014 19:54
D1.1 is what they always use for the welding. Looking at one of the prints I have is TIA/EIA-222-F Structural Standards. I'm sure there is some ANSI stuff I've seen as well.

"Anything that is an absolute DO NOT DO [fill in the blank]...that I should know about?"

Don't trust the cable safety 100% unless you've put eyes on the attachment point at the top, I've seen some real hum dingers! Hope you have a ladder? Foot pegs kinda suck. Have a good thin pair of well fitting gloves to climb in unless you just like the galvanized eating your hands up. Depending on how much you have to look at take a whiz before you go if you're in a neighborhood, out in the country it don't matter, although Yellow rain was our code word with the last crew I worked with. Take a drink and a snack maybe depending on length of stay. Watch what you safety off to, some of these I've see are a real shipwreck. Good harness, good double lanyard, the stretch type are the best, others get into your feet. A positioning lanyard for hanging out, cool dude sunglasses and a nice day like today!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-11-2014 19:36
I keep holding out that I won't hear anything back....LOL
Thanks for the reply, I really haven't done anything like this before and heights are not part of my strong suit.
I just starting to get use to being 50 feet off the ground and I still don't like it all that well, but I manage to get things done and hurry up and get back down.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-11-2014 21:08
It's not bad. I guess for the new guys at these heights it's putting it out of your mind until you trick your brain into not worrying about it anymore. I've trained 3 guys green as spring grass since I started doing this. They were usually the unlucky guy being my helper since they were the green horns and the experienced guys stayed on the ground burning up the payroll doing nothing.

The thing that got all of them was getting outside of the tower. Climbing around on "X" bracing, moving around an entire face covered in cable, boom mounts and whatever else they can attach. The guy I worked with longest was still skeptical after 6 months. He could get outside the tower but would see a missing bolt or something like that and he would get nervous. The guy we had in Illinois got to 25 feet and would not climb again for three weeks when the company told him that he was not hired as ground crew but a climber and if he did not climb then he would be let go. He made it up to 375 near the end of the job but that was it for him. He went up then stayed there for 20 minutes then he passed us around 275. He took a break there, hugging the ladder for dear life. He made it back down on his own but didn't climb again and eventually was let go. He just could not get it out of his mind, better for him to be on the ground. Hats off to him though for getting to 375 at least. The third guy worked construction but didn't climb like this. Worked with him for a little over a week. The last I heard of him was they were working a job in Kansas, one month of experience doing a decom on a tower with another guy who had 5 months experience. They were running a ginpole and something happened, tower collapsed, killed him instantly and the other guy never made it to the hospital.

I had tunnel vision the first few days out at 275 working. I'd raise the hood and my eyes would go directly to the rod bag, grab a rod, look at the weld, down went the hood and start to weld. After doing it for a year plus it's not big deal. Been on the side of a tower in ice storms, blizzard in Illinois where you could barely see the truck below. Watched a guy climb up to retrieve my leads one day with lightning flashing all around us. Foreman said, "It's ok, the tower is grounded". I laughed and said, yeah, but if the lightning hits you or near you you're dead anyhow and if not your eardrums will be finished from the noise. I was on one in Indiana with my 25ft positioning lanyard tied off. I was at the bottom end, 12-13 feet down from my attachment point. I got ready to move and unhooked my safety. The wind blew so hard it pushed me from one leg clear past the second leg and over to the third directly opposite from where I started. I was a least 5 feet off the side of the tower, legs and arms extended out to catch myself when I came back in. The only thing I said, was, "WTF!!!". I was pizzzzed off and my helper saw it. When I landed he looked at me and said, "you're scaring me Shawn". We climbed down off the tower and I told the project manager I wasn't going to try and weld in that wind anymore today. He looked at his computer hundreds of miles away and said, "I'm only showing wind speeds of 10 miles per hour according to my weather". I laughed and told him it was a bit more than 10 miles per hour. My harness, tools, and gear I weighed in around 210 pounds, blew me like a rag doll.

I've been doing it for over a year now and we stacked a tower in Missouri a few months ago. That was interesting. Being outside the tower with tower above you is not big deal. We had a ginpole connected and were flying in two 20 foot sections and a 10 foot section. The first section sat on the catwalk on top of the tower so maneuvering it around was not big deal. I then welded it in place. The second and third sections you climbed to the top and tied off and stood on the diagonals. They flew the section in and there were three of us up there with bull pins, 295 feet up. Grab the leg and wrestle it into place, drop the bull pin in the bolt holes. It was a lot different than being on the side of the tower. Being on the very top is crazy because there is nothing above to tie off to. By the end of the day we were cranking down the last bolts, sun had already set and we were working from the little bit of light supplied by the headlights off the cars over 300 feet down on the interstate!

100% tie off, a good harness, cable grab to make the climb to work quicker. Watch the loonies free climbing as they are out there. I never let them do work while I was welding. When they had to do diagonal replacements or removals I'd make them wait until I was done. Take out to many and next thing you know you're on a wild ride to terra firma. You might check but it seems like if you're going to be climbing on the towers you need to have climber certification/training. They have a card that goes with it and I believe if you're on the tower and OSHA shows up and you don't have a card then it's not good. Especially with 6 dead tower dogs this year already, OSHA is vowing to clamp down.

How high is the tower they're talking about?

Shawn
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-06-2015 14:20
Shawn,
Heard back today from the person in charge of the tower repair/antenna additions and he said the work he thought was at 180 feet. He said they had a hoist or something to get me up to where the work is. If I had my rathers, I would rather get taken up to the work than to have to climb up it...gives me a better chance of not backing out when my arms and legs quit working on a ladder getting up to the next rung...LOL

Gotta work on this mind game and see how I can put the thoughts off until I get the work done and back to the ground.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-06-2015 15:17
John, are you expanding your "horizons" or just viewing them from "up close and personal"? Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-06-2015 15:39
LOL Allan:cool:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-06-2015 18:23
Man, that's barely off the ground John.  :lol:

Son Darrell has joined Shawn's ranks and is climbing towers all through the midwest doing inspections.  Sent him to climbing/rescue school first.  All good with new climbing gear. 

He's been up about 500 but I don't think any higher yet.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-16-2015 04:17
Probably a spider basket. Nice easy ride unless the guy driving you knows your nervous then we...I mean they might make it more exciting for you. Had an inspector come out one time, was no climber. They sent him up with a 6'4" kid. When you get into a spider basket imagine a huge guy like that in there with you. He was about 220lbs. He got up to about 140 and was done, reviewed the pictures for the rest of the work.

Climbing is the best part, keeps you fit!

What is it? Guy tower? Self supporter? One time up and one time down I'd say it's going to be harder to get over it. Doing it day in and day out it is literally like sitting in an office chair all day long, with wind, sun, cold a/c, heat(all at the wrong time of course). Can't give you any tips on it though. Some can and some can't. Worked with a guy for 3-4 weeks and first climb was up to 50 feet. He didn't climb again until they told him he was hired to be a climber, not ground crew and would be let go if he didn't climb. He got up to 375 for 20 minutes then climbed down. Guy was white as a ghost(Hispanic) and had a bear hug around the ladder, even when tied off. He couldn't overcome it. He did good getting where he did but better he stayed on the ground, saves us having to perform a rescue.

I'm not sure how inspections work but from my understanding anybody on the tower needs to be a certified climber or "competent" climber. Might be different in a spider basket. Eyes open, watch the crew your working with, there are some real shady s.o.b's out there and stay 100%!!
- - By Dualie (***) Date 02-13-2014 05:02
went 150 off the side today in a swing scaffold.   I think i would have much rather been climbing a tower.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-10-2014 19:55
Haha! 150 feet? That's so boring, hahaha!!! :lol::lol:
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-10-2014 22:26
I am just like Steven Wright....I have no fear of heights.....I am scared of widths!
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 04-12-2014 06:07
it was very boring other than the fact that the 40 mph winds were banging that platform around pretty good on 2 3/8" cables.    I would have much rather been in a bowsons chair at that point
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-12-2014 13:44
haha!! Yeah, 40 mph winds make it very interesting!! We were around 160 and the wind gust blew so hard it blew me from one leg around the middle leg clean to the opposite side leg. I unhooked my safety to start to move and a wind gust blew me on my extra, extra long positioning lanyard and when I flew out I was at least 5 feet off the tower. Arms and legs extended, yelling , "WTF???". I was pretty ticked off. My helpers eyes were as big as saucers and said, "you're scaring me Shawn". Throw in the fact that you could sit there and look up another 40 feet to the top of the tower and literally watch it whip back and forth in the wind. We called it a day after that, excessive winds on a toothpick tower. We laughed about it once down on the ground, guys on the ground crew were saying, "holy f man!! That was cool!!" It was a wild ride and fun, just mad cause I was trying to get the job done and weather was not helping out.

Wind makes everything so much more exciting!!
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 04-13-2014 07:38
its a lot less fun flying a kite when you're trying to ride it.     Oh and keeping the thing from bashing in the big glass windows was fun too.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 01-07-2015 14:48
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-16-2015 04:31
Didn't here about that one. Usually I'm on a site that has tower news quite often. Most likely free climbing, moving around without one of his safety lanyards attached. Happens a lot, guys get lazy and one slip. I had a slip today, bundled up to keep warm, restricted movement, slipped and caught myself with my hand, glad I had my safety attached. Once in awhile God will remind me why I take the time to stay tied off 100% of the time. My family reminds me every time I get home. I had two friends die in March of 2014 on a cell tower in Kansas, know all to well about this. Cell carriers and tower owners don't help any. They put a sign at the gate, "Climbing face may be obstructed, alternate means of access may be required". Then the cell carrier runs 2 stacks of coax halfway across the climbing face(no ladder) and on the right side of the face are brackets to support the coax on the opposite face. "Alternate means", like what? Rub the lamp and wait for the Genie to pop out? Miracle my arse up there? Devine intervention?

I worked a site in Mississippi over the summer with two towers. One had coax, booms, stiff arms and antenna's in the compound but nobody there. 30-40 buzzards around the site everyday. Talked to a local farmer coming out to bale hay and he said a year earlier two guys fell and died on that very site. Went up to 380', did the job and went home. The buzzards though, just a little reminder. That was the creepiest jobsite I've worked.

Take care,

Shawn
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / 835 FEET!!