Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Change from one code to another
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-04-2013 15:13
I recently took my CWI exam and didn't do to will on it and I would like to know if you can change code books to take the retest. I hope this is in the right place.

M.G.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-04-2013 16:29
That's a good question Milton.

I don't think I have ever been asked that before.  Nor heard it asked.  Hopefully someone else will know, but I'm going to check through things for the exams and see what I can find.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 11-04-2013 17:00
Did you have difficulties with the entire test or just the Code section?
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-04-2013 19:24
With all of it.
     M.G.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-04-2013 18:41
Milton,
I would email the Certification department with this question.
I've heard of it being done but not sure of the particular requirements.
Did you fail the Code portion only?
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-04-2013 19:36
I just sent the question in to the certification department and it might take a day or two for an anwser.

M.G.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-05-2013 06:24
You can switch to a different code provided you declare the code you want to use when you submit your application.  One other thing, it has to be one of the codes listed by AWS for the open code book examination. Nothing you didn't already know there.

Congratulations!. Big brass ones for signing up for the combo ASME Section IX and Section VIII!

OH, that isn't the open book exam you were switching to?

Good luck my friend. You should do fine if you purchase a copy of the code you want to use and study it well in advance of the CWI examination.

Did you take the CWI seminar or other training before the test or did you try to self study on your own?

My recommendation (you have heard the same advice from others here in the Forum) is to take the seminar and then delay the test for a month to allow time to self study and absorb the information. As for the open book code; you already know that you have to read through the code several times to understand what and where the information is located. 

If I can pass the test, anyone can.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-05-2013 12:38
Al, I wish I had did that because thats a lot of information to take in a short period of time and it's damn stressfull just to take the CWI seminar. Al that would be good advice to anyone planning to taking the CWI seminar. Also I wish that I was 30 years younger. LOL
No I didn't take no other training, I tried self study.

M.G.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-05-2013 12:47
OUCH.  Many have done it, but it is even more stressful from my experience than the week of cramming at the seminar (I didn't do it that way myself. I proctor the exams and see many come and go and hear the stories of their experiences).  And the pass percentage is higher for those who have taken the seminar.  Also, the seminar is a great week of review when it comes to things in the closed book Part A General Knowledge portion.  So many people have pre-conceived false ideas about so many things in welding that the WIT book seems to clear up.  If they will heed the instruction.

Many of us here definitely advocate the seminar.  It is not a waste of money and/or time, though there are several who will say otherwise.  I recommend it even for those just wanting to learn but not qualified to take the exam.  Just because one can pass the exams without the week long seminar does not mean it is worthless or should be skipped. 

I know what you mean about being younger.  If I had only done it when I was my son's age.  What a difference age makes in the memory department, not memorizing, just remembering. 

Well, good luck on your next go around.  And while I haven't seen anything stating exactly so, I believe Al is correct, just check the code you want to test to and you can change from what you did previously.  There is nothing binding you to the same one you already took.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-05-2013 16:11
You know Brent when thier is people taking the test for the third time you know you might have trouble,when your eyes gets to seeing fuzzy you might have trouble. It was on my bucket list and I did my best but at my age it might take a little longer to fine the aswer to a question. I have never had a foreman to say I need this anwser in 2 minutes have you.
                                             M.G.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-05-2013 19:11
I agree with the time factor thing.  It is mainly an item of putting pressure on test takers to make sure they know where to find things.  If they can find it in a couple of minutes under pressure, they should be able to find it when they are not under time constraints. 

Yes, many are taking the exam for the second and third time, not to mention a few taking it for the fourth time.  Especially now that AWS changed all three parts of the exam and the pass rate dropped.  Outfits with guarantees of passage have dropped that promise. It is not an easy test. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 11-06-2013 13:37
Is the test a lot harder these days?

I got my CWI in 2001 or so and it did not seem to be massively difficult.  Granted, I was a year out of college, and I took the seminar the week before, but it did not seem too bad.

I managed to score above 90 on all 3 parts.

Main reason I ask is I am considering taking the 31.3/IX endorsement since we do a lot of that kind of work
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-06-2013 14:31
If all you need is the open book code endorsement for 31.3 then I doubt you will have any problem at all, seeing you are already familiar with the code.

Supposedly, according to the seminar instructors who try to keep track of the percentage of their seminar week students who pass, the exams are more difficult.  Especially since this past winter when they changed all three parts.  The same database of questions had been used long enough that there were too many organizations hand feeding answers instead of teaching how to actually master the code and do the job (personal opinion, rather bears out since their percentages dropped considerably). 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-05-2013 22:28
The GOOD News is, now you have an edge over "first timers".
You are familiar with the test lay out, wording and you might even get one or more of the same test(s) the next go around. You are now experienced in the test taking process. Which many of us having been years/decades out of school or any formal testing are uncomfortable with. And face it, many folks just "Choke on the 8" when it comes to tests, whether they be a practical welding or written. Your odds of passing on the second time are greatly increased as an experienced examinee now.
Some times as an Inspector, the pressure is on to get an answer fast. That's just life in the mid management arena. No matter how laid back one's attitude may be, when the job needs a code referenced to proceed and an entire crew is left hanging out on coffee break, you WILL be under the gun. Say what you will about someone else's oversight does not create a crisis on "MY" part, any conscientious professional should want to provide the service they are hired to do in a timely fashion.
If you can afford it and have the week or 2 to invest, the seminar might be a good way to go. Being the world's greatest welder has nothing in common with being even a mediocre, junior QC.
Study hard, and Good luck next time!
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-05-2013 23:03
This is what I received today Please be advised you have to retest on the same codebook.  If you want to change the codebook - a new application would have to be submitted.
In other words if you change codes you will have to cough up the money that you paid the first time.

M.G.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-06-2013 02:30
Are you telling us that you did not have to submit an application to retake the test?

That does not sound logical. Did you call them and just say, "Hey, I want to retest?"

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 11-06-2013 02:47
Wait a minute, are they saying you have to retake the entire test if you want to retest to a different code book?
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-06-2013 15:46
I'm going to call ether this afternoon are in the morning and ask that question. The way I'm thinking now I don't think I will take the test again and I don't think I will send NO MEMBERSHIP DUES in NO more.

M.G.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-08-2013 00:07
I called today and I ask about changing codes to retest and it is like taking the test for the first time for as the cost and they said I can retest on the same code that I took the first time within 3 year's but if I take the test again and don't pass it I will have to take 40 hours of additional training before I take it again. So I think I might take it later on after studying a little more because I don't like being a loser so I think I will hang a round here for a little longer and might ask a few question every now a then to be truthful I have enjoyed is forum for a good while. I've heard people that where CWI's for years say that it was the hardest test they had ever taken. Al you do have to fill out a RE- EXAM APPLICATION they sent one with the test results.

M.G.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-08-2013 16:00
That sounds reasonable, that is, being required to complete an application so AWS knows what test you will be taking and there is a paper trail should a question arise.

Just because I'm nosey, what test did you take and what test do you think you would rather take?

The AWS seminars are intended to be a review of key subject areas included on the CWI examinations. They are not intended to be the initial learning tool, i.e., they are not a training course. The pace is very rapid and there is little time to "learn" new material in the evening after class. For those individuals that need to learn the material because it is their first exposure to subjects like metallurgy, applications of a welding code, etc., extra time is needed to absorb the new information. That is when the individual should really consider taking the AWS seminar, but delay the examination for a month. That allows sufficient time to study the subjects in detail and prepare for the examination.

The duration of the training isn't the key to passing the examination. The secret is learning how to study. It takes a lot of self discipline to study after a long day in class or after a long day of work. Sitting in the classroom, listening to an instructor, no matter how knowledgeable the instructor is, is no replacement for studying the material in solitude; free of the typical distractions of the job and family. For those reasons, I suggest taking the CWI seminar far enough away from home that there is no possibility to commute to and from the classes.

I question the viability of online courses. I have taken a few online computer courses in years pass. They are too sterile and void of any interaction between the instruction and listener. I have yet to have a compute respond to my questions. I usually nod off after about  five minutes of instruction. I would be interested in any feed back from any one that has taken an online course.

Good luck, study hard, and don't give up.

Al
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 11-09-2013 13:22
I took the seminar, then the test and it was a real rough week, but I passed... Youngest guy in there by a long shot... Most people took the seminar and waited like Al said.  One thing that is great, The lunches were super good! haha

The sadder part was immediately after everyone took the last exam.... straight to the bar... and boy could you see it in the eyes of the people who knew they didnt pass...  They began to drink quite heavily haha

Jordan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-09-2013 14:00
Jordan,

You mention something else that many don't take into account when complaining about the cost aspect of the seminar and how 'rich' AWS is becoming off of them.  Let's run down some things:

1) The legitimate administrative cost by paid staff at Miami;
2) Shipping of seminar and exam materials to test site and back again;
3) The Conference room at the hotel;
4) Several hundred dollars worth of hand outs- codes, specs, and other materials;
5) Seminar instructor stipend, room and travel;
6) Money to the hosting section for advertising, proctoring exams, and other costs associated with the seminar;
7) Part B proctor, separate from section proctors for Parts A&C, travel, room, and stipend;
8) Exam consumables, not reusable;
9) Exam scoring and recording;
10) Mailing, emailing, of results along with certificates, wallet cards, and stamps for successful candidates;
11) Breakfast (either brought to the seminar room each morning or provided in the hotel food area by voucher or other means;
12) Lunch provided each day of the seminar (not the day of the exams). 

If you were involved with the process as I have been for the past few years you would see that these exams are not quite the cash cow for AWS they are often made out to be.  Is AWS making money off of them?  More than likely.  But they aren't getting filthy rich off of them. 

When you also consider the things you will learn that, as Al said, can't be learned from online courses or self study, by personal interaction and the networking that may well start you down your career road after passing the tests because of someone you met there and developed a friendship with...How could you not gain from the time and money spent.

Sadly, too many only look at the money aspect of it.  I was very satisfied with the whole experience and yes, I passed the first time through as did my son.  But, I bought all the books ahead of time and was as familiar as I felt I could be before hand.  I then passed the books given to me at the exam on to my son so he could start studying.  We have duplicates of everything that we allow others to use in their efforts while still maintaining a set at my office. 

Good luck to any planning to take the test.  Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 11-09-2013 15:40
Brent

I totally agree, I was surprised to see how serious and profession it was seeing as I didn’t really have any idea what I was getting into testing wise.  I wish I had taken the D1.1 though instead of the API seeing as I actually ended up using it.  With mailing the tests.. that is serious business! I was shocked at how strong the security was for that.  Signing off on your test, with a witness, then it all goes into PELI-cases sealed air tight on lock and key.  Good to know though.  I took mine at the LAX HILTON I believe and the food was amazing each time.  Made some great friends who I still keep in touch with also.  Looking forward to my next endorsement.
- - By hvymax (**) Date 11-08-2013 14:22
Attempting this without one of the "Seminar's" is almost foolish. I would even go so far as to recomend a 2week one. I did the 1 week and did pass but most by far don't. You really need to "develop" your own system for tabbing out or organizing your book. The knowlege you need of RT,UT.MPT etc is immense and the classes give you enough to pass if you are capable of absorbing it all. Being MR Welder with dozens of certs and 20 years of experience barely scratches the surface of what you need to pass this.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 11-09-2013 01:52
It depends on your background as to whether it's foolish or not. I have worked as a fitter/part time welder for 25 years before I took the CWI exam. I did use the D1.1 code book a lot in my job so I was familiar with the layout of it (If you take out the commentary and all the figures, D1.1 is probably about as thick as the API code book). I paid out of my own pocket to take the exam, and did not think I needed the seminar. It was the longest exam I have ever taken, but not the hardest. I passed first time around.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-09-2013 17:15
John, I took the AWS seminar and did all I could to past the test. I was the last one out the door on every test.I took ever minute I had. I've have welded going on for 41 years,I'm 61 years young I work every day 9 hours plus 8 hours on Saturday's and you know I'm not as fast as I use to be and I can't read as fast as I use to. I have a 4 year old grandson at home that my wife an I are raising and some time it is hard to study but you know I wouldn't change a thing.
  Al, I will take to you when I get off work later on I will PM you.

M.G.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-11-2013 17:33
Looking forward to your message.

Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-11-2013 18:18
Al, that was the message I sent you Saturday.

M.G.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Change from one code to another