Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Documents & Downloads / AWS Fillable forms
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-06-2013 21:01
http://www.aws.org/w/a/technical/sample_forms.html

Someone at AWS took the time to scan these in for us and made fillable forms out of them.
But...does anyone know of a way to edit these forms? The font size in a few of the fillable tex boxes are too large to read, and only the lower half of the font characters show in the box. I have adobe standard 8, but it won't allow me to edit these text boxes.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-07-2013 00:04
Interesting.  My Windows 8 is just the opposite, very small letters when I type in the blanks.

I may have to actually download them to my computer and then see if the edit function works.

I already have more forms for each of those than I can shake a stick at so never use the ones on the AWS site, but thanks John.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 11-07-2013 06:05
Mine are the same size as the text in the forms. Maybe because I keep my screen zoom level at 100%.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-07-2013 08:17
John, I use Foxit Reader for all my PDF type forms and also Foxit Phantom (but that is paid for software). I have no problem with typable font size in any of these form using this software.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-07-2013 12:08
Try typing in the textbox for "Joint Type" or "Backing Material" on the D1.1 WPS Annex N form.

Let me know what you guys are seeing there, so I will know if it is just my computer or whatnot. It does the same thing on my desktop(XP machine) and my laptop(Win7 machine).
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-07-2013 18:50 Edited 11-07-2013 18:54
Well I couldn't figure it out so I went to my old standby...MS Excel
Here is the D1.1 version if anyone wants it...I left room at the top for company letterhead.
I used Autocad to draw the joint details and cut and pasted them into that box at the lower right of the form.

edit* I should note that I made a few changes, so it's not exactly like the Form in Annex N (ie preheat/interpass temps)
Attachment: AWSD1.1WPSForm.xls (49k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-08-2013 02:05
John,

I downloaded the forms, I use Windows 8 and new version of MS Office with word and excel.  When I open the downloaded form it gives me an option of signing and filling in text.  When this is done I can enter in any info I want anywhere I want.  I opened the forms and also have a editing bar that lets me change text style and size. 

I did not have any problems with the forms. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-08-2013 12:09 Edited 11-08-2013 12:12
When I exported the file to Word from Adobe, it locked my computer everytime. I tried on several computers here at work in various departments and it happened everytime. I gave up and just re-created the form in Excel.
I went to Staples to see about getting a copy of Adobe Pro XI and they wanted $450 for it. I told them that I could remake the form with a few minutes of my own time so it wasn't worth $450.

I print the form out as a pdf after I have filled it in and added my sketch detail in the lower right corner. So I have started going back through all of my welding manual and was updating it so that it is all looks consistant and all in one pdf file.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-08-2013 12:30
My son and I wrote six WPS's for a company yesterday morning.  My WPS form is slightly varied from the AWS download but is very functional and allows for easy modifications for all variations.  Some of my forms have check boxes that you just click on the selection, others blacken in the box when you choose it.  You can have drop down boxes for some choices.  There is so much one can do to make it fast and easy. 

I insert joint details on the back (sheet two using the excel format) with some 'notes' on pre-heat, materials, and backgouging so I can just enter the note number when appropriate and they can look up the note on the back and see further details on those topics.  I pull the details out of my D1.1 and do some myself when they are special applications. 

It has been a while since one of my younger sons, my in house geek, and I worked up my form.  My only problem is my own lack of knowledge in my usage of excel and occasionally I have to play with things to get them to work for me. 

Call me tight, stingy, but with the time and effort my son and I put into it, I don't share it with many people.  I figure they can find ways to use the AWS ones or make up their own.  There are so many out there and it isn't that difficult, when one figures the number that you will do in a few years, to take the time to work one up in excel.  Even for me.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-08-2013 13:21
All of the forms that have been using were all scanned into Omniform....that did a good job at the time, but the OCR is terrible or maybe it was the scanner drivers did a poor job, either way it took so much time to clean up the form after it was scanned in that it didn't make it very effective time wise to use it any longer.

I like Excel and the lookup functions are pretty good like you mentioned, so you can enter something into a textbox, and it will look up all of the associated info and fill all of that in for you which equals awsomeness. I've been creating welding manuals with fabrication notes and prequalified welding procedures for other companies around town, so when you write nearly 40 WPS's it helps to have a time saver at your disposal.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Documents & Downloads / AWS Fillable forms