Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Workman's Comp
- - By Stringer (***) Date 11-07-2013 01:15
Tipped a left index finger in a DiAcro machine. Even as a lifelong guitarist I can handle, right? I know the risks of welding, forming, and machining. I'm not a baby about the bumps and bruises. Well, this time the insurance guys are pushing my will to play. This process is beyond beaurocracy - it's accusatory and invasive and I've got my share of spine, being a welder, and I am ready to say no to working for someone if they can't any longer protect me financially from the bumps and bruises. Examine me for a chronic case of costing money, hey I get that, but it looks like the insurance companies (too nice a term) intend to challenge claims just like Progressive (Flo you _oe). If you are an hourly employee, I suspect you will want to reconsider.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 11-07-2013 03:15
Ouch.  That's where the people at Labor and Industry step in.  Despite their governmental shortcomings, they are the ones who administer workmans comp. and my onetime experience not unlike your own was that an injury at work gets compensated if you are unable to fully continue in your occupation.  My injury was a cracked vertabrae and ruptured disc that sidelined me for a short while but flared back up after a period of recuperation and sidelined me again- hadn't yet learned I could no longer sling O2 tanks on my shoulder and climb a gangplank- but I was paid a compensating 1/2 wage during that 2nd period of recovery despite the employers accusation of goldbricking.  If you are injured at work, doing your job function, your employer had damn well better have Workmans Comp Coverage or he is in a world of hurt with L&I as well as your attorney who will come after him with much sharper intentions.  Give them a call and layout your situation.  You might find you're covered at the very least for medical bills.  Might not hurt to call a mouthpiece specializing in employment law.  Either way, as soon as it was settled I'd likely be looking for work elsewhere.  Who needs greedy, spitefull irresponsible bastards writing their paychecks.  Best of luck.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 11-09-2013 00:14
I have zero problems with my employer. I'll be back to full duty faster than doctors say, no problem. My problem is that the workmans' comp insurance company is making me accumulate five years of records from all doctors and therapists illnesses included and send it to them or they won't process my cut finger injury claim. This seems new to me and a disturbing trend if indeed it is a trend.
Parent - - By bruce69 (*) Date 11-09-2013 23:23
So it you saw a doctor four years ago for whatever reason, they want to know about it?  Even though it has nothing to do with your injury?  How does that not violate HIPPA?  It is none of their business what you saw any doctor for that has nothing to do with your injury.  Basically they want you to jump through so many hoops that people will just give up and not file a claim.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 11-13-2013 01:33
Well, I'm going to comply of course, without complaint because that's my default response.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Workman's Comp