Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The new and improved Rig
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-09-2013 17:54
I finally did it! The ol' red Dodge was getting tired and needed more space behind the driver seat for gear and needed more load capacity. I thought about a 3500 Ram and even looked briefly at Fords but since Ford dealers did not respond to my requests for quotes on F450's they have lost a large sale. That's fine though, this Ram is a beast of beast's!!

I wanted red again but they had this white one on the lot just how I wanted it. Cloth interior, 4 door, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Automatic, power group, 4500 beastie! I did not build the bed, time once again is an issue. Have to be geared up and ready to work on Tuesday morning so I found a bed local, a CM bed, skirted sides, toolboxes, smooth sides, no stinkin' diamond plate(yuk!). The bed is huge! Got the welder on there, my boxes and still have plenty of space for tanks, reels, hose wrap, extension cord and can still connect a gooseneck, although I've never had a gooseneck to connect! If I do though I have the option at least! I bought some stainless simulators the day I signed my life away, plain steel wheels are so ugly! The simulators made the white color not so bad especially with all of the chrome on the truck already. We got ready to load the welder on the bed last night and bolt it down and decided to take a measurement off the back of the bed, 43-1/4" off the floor to the top of the bed. We set the welder down and I didn't feel the truck squat at all. Another measurement and it dropped 3/8 of an inch!! 1100 pound machine and the truck simple looked over it's shoulder and said, "did you put something back there??". My old truck raised up an inch and a half if not two when I pulled the welder off! The Timbrens were about two inches off the springs! I still have tanks to put on, hoosier pole, and the extension cord, hose wrap but in total I'm guessing the bed will have dropped a half in, maybe 5/8!

My thoughts on the 4500 so far? Wow!! What a truck! Although derated engine power from your consumer available 3500(385hp/850tq) the 4500 is rated at 325hp and 750lbft of torque. It pulls the truck around likes its not even loaded with my junk. I like the interior, comfortable, clean and edgy. Seats are nice, still wish somebody would put spring or air ride seats in these trucks for us long driving road fools. The four full doors with huge back seat area, enough to fit a family of 5, if I had a family of 6 they would fit too! A son at almost 6 feet tall was comfortable in the back seat. I got the standard Uconnect 3.0 radio with free Sirius for a year. Radio sounds pretty good, not like the Kenwood I had in the old truck but auxillary jacks(USB/Aux cord in the center console) will make Pandora available if I get bored of Sirius. Multiple power outlets, two in the dash, one in center console for your phone, gps and other gadgets and you can plug your laptop in with the USB connector, another fine option when you're the only guy on the job with a copy of the prints! The suspension, frame, undercarriage on this truck is amazing! The rotors look like they are the size of econobox car tires! Fiat 500, the tires are my rotors! Four piston calipers all around a Spicer rear differential and a spring stack that looks like it could support a house!

The Aisin so far is awesome! I've always been one to "row the gears" but after many mornings stuck in Nashville traffic and in the city I have not missed my last day without the old clutch and stick. Selectable gears on the shift lever, manual as they told me give you options to choose what gear you'd like to be in. Tow/haul mode, trailer brake built in and it can be controlled from your steering wheel on your display. This model has the old school four wheel drive, pull the handle on the floor board back and you're in 4 high, few forward and four low. It also has traction control, don't know if that is good or bad but I'm sure I will soon find out as winter draws near. Also on the front end a set of tow hooks of which I have never seen before! Monsters! I'm glad they are there though, I'm sure they will be put to the test somewhere when this heavyweight sinks in the mud as the old one did in Mississippi!

The mighty Cummins, what can I say about this workhorse? They now have the DEF, just more deductions in my minds eye. Whatever works I guess. If you're tall enough you can actually see what is under the hood, at 5'9" it looks like I'd need a ladder to check the oil!!! The engine, super quiet. After 7 years of turning off the engine to place an order at the fast food joint or walking 15-20 feet away from the running truck to have a normal conversation this silence is quite nice actually. Standard super quiet exhaust out the back, don't hear much of anything, also a new change that I am finding to be rather nice.

Looking at the body lines at first I was not sure about the design. After looking seriously at these trucks they have grown on me. You look at it(at least I do) and I see a monster, ready for work, tough, stout......a beast. Although climbing into this truck after a good lunch a few times or a longs days work I see will be a problem. Nerf bars or running boards are in my future for certain. My daughter is around 5' tall and she laughed last night because the floor in the back was at the top of her thighs!

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase, as much as it was!! Sure am ready to get her on the highway loaded down and put her to the test on a long drive. If you're looking at a truck I highly recommend one. With a max GVWR at 24,600lbs it will bump your insurance into a new class, added around $300/year on mine. The 3500's are capable but the way we load them down they could be overloaded then you have to mess around with Timbrens, airbags and what have you. This truck here, Timbrens and bags are a thing of the past, if I get pulled over by DOT or have to run the scales, no worries, just smile, not overloaded here!!

Here are a few pics I took last night, still need to get my running boards, windows getting tinted on Monday morning and a few other little things.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-09-2013 23:31
Nice truck dude!!!!!!!! Hope it's a money making beast for you......Good luck and congratulations !!!!!!!!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-10-2013 02:05
Nice set up Shawn.  Keep cranking out the work, you'll need all the cash flow you can get now.

Thanks for the report on the vehicle.  Nice to know how they are doing with new designs. 

Thanks for the pics.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-10-2013 02:10
Thanks Brent! Let me know about what we were talking about at the end of the year.

Yes, have a new reason to wake up in the morning!!

Shawn
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 11-10-2013 03:51
Congratulations on the new truck. It is a mighty fine looking vehicle. Should give many years of reliable service.

Have a good evening;
Matt
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 11-10-2013 13:26
A small bit of trivia:  CM beds are manufactured in Madill Ok. That is just a down the road from me. They ship all over the country.

Griff
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 11-10-2013 14:14
Nice truck
  Wise choice going with the heavier chassis . One of the pump outfits I do work for bought a couple 3500's a few years ago, Nice trucks with lots of power but a bit lacking on brakes
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-10-2013 23:34
That's one of the main reasons I got it. A look at the brake calipers and rotors at the dealer and I was standing there wide eyed in amazement. Also the exhaust brake on this is awesome! I slip my foot off the throttle and in a second or two exhaust braking is applied and we start slowing down. A lot of times I don't even need the brakes, just ease on the pedal ever so slightly to come to a stop.

3500's/350's can carry what we have but I think you're at the top end of the capability when you consider "payload capacity" and components. If you have to mess with airbags, timbrens then that was a clue to me that what I had was more than what the truck really wanted.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-11-2013 00:13
Many states now have requirements for tire size and braking capacity that exceed the 1 ton models and are only met by the  4500 and above models for loads over a certain mark.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 11-12-2013 02:16
Shawn that is a great truck.. Just a couple words of advice..!!  On this job there are at least five 2013s and a 2014 truck.. All the guys love them with the exception of these few things to watch for..

DO NOT let that truck idle for over ten minutes if you can help it.. They clogg up like crazy..!! Guys would get in there trucks this summer for our 15min morning break and kick on the AC to cool down a bit. Then they would do it again for 30min at lunch and 15min for afternoon break.. After a week of that these trucks were clogging up and shutting down as in they would not drive.. The guys would take it to the Dodge house and for $100 they would clean it out for you.

If you do have to idle it hit the cruse controle button. This will idle up your truck then push the acc button on the cruse and it will idle up to whatever RPM you set it at.. I found 1200 is the lowest I can get away with and keep mine from clogging up..

Next BIG thing..!!! Change out your fule filter with an after market filter that has a replacable filter in it and change it every oil change.. The stock filters are crap and will let trash get through clogging your injectors.. One guy here had less then 10,000mi on his and the injectors went out.. Dodge says he put trash diesel in it and he had to eat the cost of the injectors..

They are great trucks but you have to baby the heck out of them..!!!  You just cant get in them and drive like the old trucks..!! These things will get cranky quick if you baby the heck out of them..!!!!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-12-2013 03:31
Thanks RC! I'll check into that stuff. I figured there would have to be a way to idle it up in the morning to warm it up a bit. I've been babying mine already. I just putt putt around in it! Take off from a stop easy peasy. I had my hot rod, this truck needs to make money!

You have any idea on what brand filter? I'll check on the net hear and see what I can find. Thanks for the input!
Parent - - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 11-12-2013 11:04
What model is that C&M bed with a slick deck, I didn't know they made one, I have always seen diamond plate.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-12-2013 12:10
It has diamond plate on the deck only, everything else is smooth plate, looks much better in my opinion. Not sure of the model, saw it, caught my eye as what I liked and bought it. :grin:
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-13-2013 04:40
One other thing to do for sure is use the exhaust break. Using it will keep carbon from building up on the variable pitch turbo and shutter. I installed a universal spin on filter housing that uses two filters. The first is a 25 micron and the second is a 4 micron. 65k on mine so far with not one issues at all with any part of the truck.

I will however disagree with babying the truck. Low exhaust temps will not efficiently keep the dpf clean. Use the truck as intended. Pull heavy loads and get the egt nice and hot. Loafing around city driving will do no good and it will regen constantly using up def very inefficiently. Idling will plug it up in no time for sure.

My truck didn't start getting decent fuel mileage till around 35,000 miles. I removed all the emissions BS shortly after that and it gets better mileage now than my old 5.9 did. The 5500's we have at work get 8-12 mpg loaded down depending on where we are going and how fast we wanna get there.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2013 16:54
I use the exhaust brake all the time! That thing is awesome!

I say babying the truck but I guess I miss spoke(wrote??). I don't drive it like I stole it.....which would happen upon occasion in my other truck when I would turn it up to number 10 and have that 435hp pushing the rear wheels, the smoke rolling off the exhaust!!

I wish they had an egt gauge on these things. I can't figure out why they go in depth in the owners manual about how important it is to idle and cool the turbo down before shutting down under certain conditions(rolling off the highway loaded) and they don't even give you a way to monitor it. I know how much brake horsepower I have, turbo boost pressure, fuel filter life...egt's...??? Nope....

I'd like to add a gauge but with warranty on the truck I can just imagine taking it in to do my first service and the tech's going ape shyte about the "gauge" on the dash. I wish Dodge..excuse me, Ram would offer an aftermarket gauge we could plug and play without drilling out the manifold.

Taking all of my DEF equipment off? Not me brother. I got bumper to bumper on this sucker until 100k, not going to give them any excuses on this truck. I have a chrome tip I am going to put on, 5" to 6" MBRP pulled off my other truck but other than tinting windows, running boards and accessories like that it will remain the same. Besides, I have groan quite comfortable with the quiet exhaust, the quiet engine. I'll just listen to other guys drive by with their hot rod Dodges!

Thanks for the info on the filter, taking her up to NC today thru the mountains, we'll get her heated up climbing over the Appalachians! On my fuel mileage so far I'm averaging 11mpg. If I can squeeze another 2mpg's out of it when she get's broken in I'll be getting the same as the old truck. I did weigh this pig the other day, 13,160 pounds without me in it! Holy smokes!! Wish I had weighed it before I thru all of my gear on it though.

Take it easy and thanks again!

Shawn
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-16-2013 19:28
I was talking with a guy at the gas station the other day and he was upset that he couldn't remove the emissions stuff on his truck. He had a 2013 3500, said he had talked to all the big names in programmers and they do not have anything that will work for him? I haven't checked into that for myself so I don't know? I rack up so many miles on my truck so quickly 100k and my bumper to bumper are gone with the wind. I wanted to save money on fuel because as we all know it is complete BS how much we have to pay for diesel... That's why I decided to go ahead and remove my stuff. Mine is pre def so my fuel mileage really sucked when it was brand new.

It's a good looking truck Shawn! I would like to have one myself but don't need another medium duty truck at this point. I hope yours is as good to you as my truck has been to me.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 11-12-2013 12:22
Check here:

http://www.cmtruckbeds.com/

Griff
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The new and improved Rig