Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 304 stainless steel welding problem
- - By redrua Date 11-15-2013 08:40 Edited 11-15-2013 16:04
We are manufacturing pressure vessels for cryogenic service. Our standard desing is vacuum insulated vessels with stainless steel inner tank and carbon steel outer tank. We are using SAW for circumferential and longitidunal weldings. Now one of our customer wants a stainless steel outer tank. According to my previous experiences when we use SAW for L/C weldigns some shrink on material occurs. and it does not look good, but it is inner tank and nobody will see it. Now our customer ask a stainless steel outer tank and I know it will not look good because of shrinking. For another tank we tried cooling tank after welding very fast but it is not a good solution and I need a better solution. One of my friend suggested me plasma welding but I have no experineces with it. Please share your ideas with me.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-15-2013 14:53
I have seen loads of stainless steel tanks that look good from the outside as well as the inside :twisted: To start to consider plasma welding would involve a fairly hefty financial investment and a very long learning curve that would probably take years rather than weeks.
Parent - - By redrua Date 11-15-2013 15:49
Financial invesment is not a problem in current situation we could send our welders / welding operators to training. We are planning to buy a automatic system. Our main problem is choosing correct system. Do you have any information how they manufactured the stainless steel tanks that you saw. Thickness of the tanks we are manufacturing is more than 6 mm.
I made a mistake when I opened the subject. We are using Submerged Arc Welding (SAW) I wrote SMAW by mistake.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-15-2013 18:33
That, SAW, makes more sense.  Sounded a little strange to be doing any volume of that work and be using SMAW.

But, while not at all a big stainless person, it should not be a problem with a little planning, training, and money.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-16-2013 13:20
redrua, I must admit that both your initial question and your reply raises some concerns. Firstly, in your opening statement, you admit that your company is not concerned about the appearance of internal welds because as you say, "no one will see them"? That immediately starts MY alarm bells ringing. What is your QA/QC dept doing?
In your second statement, you state that financial investment is not a problem. Believe me, financial investment is never a problem until some one has to sign the cheque. Is the purchase, set up,development and training of welders/operators going to be viable for one tank?
I have worked on several large LNG projects and many petrochem sites all involving SS vessels, many considerably thicker than 6mm. Most of the larger thickness tanks/vessels use SAW for the circumferential and longitudinal welds with no problem. As has been stated, it is quite a pleasant looking weld. Working and fabricating with stainless steel is not rocket science, thousands and thousands of vessels, tanks and other complex designs are successfully fabricated daily around the world every day, using very conventional welding and joining techniques. Just google 'images of Stainless Steel Vessels' and you will see the size and shape of some of them.
Whilst in no way am I adverse to 'NEW' welding techniques or technologies, I think in your case that you maybe you can't see the forest for the trees? I would be more concerned about the inability to control or alleviate your present production problems before throwing cash on a potentially new problematic process.
I would suggest that the apparently unlimited financial investment your company has access too, be directed internally and used to build up your fabrication skill level amongst your workforce and maybe implement a more robust QA/QC system.
Parent - By MMyers (**) Date 11-15-2013 16:16
Do you have any pictures of your welds that you can share?  SAW on stainless should be a good looking weld.
Parent - - By jherrera (*) Date 12-06-2013 16:03
can you tell us wich welding parameters are you using? (amp, Volt, Stick out, travel speed)… i think your problem is heat input, and you will resolve it with the right welding technique.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-08-2013 07:35
First off, what is the thickness of both the inner and outer members??? Joint configuration??? What code are you welding these to???, What type/design of clamping are you using?? Are you depositing sufficient tack welds prior to starting to complete the welding of each joint and how are they spaced???  and any other pertinent information because there isn't enough for us to assist you Then we can go to welding parameters to limit and control distortion, shrinkage, etc.

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 304 stainless steel welding problem