Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Multi-use WPS
- - By cwismith Date 11-18-2013 22:57
I'd like to get some feedback regarding multi-use WPS that covers 1/8" and above thickness in all positions for fillet and groove weld.

I'm against one-size fits all WPS.  The parameters for welding 3/16 material 3F is different from those for 2" material 1G.  A welder could be within the electrical parameters of a multi-use WPS and turn thin material into swiss cheese.

What do you think?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-19-2013 23:45
I believe that the ranges that allowed by the qualification scheme are adequate for the intent of the codes.

You could get into quite a few "details" when you fully dictate the process. I may not weld a 3/4" socket weld in a mirror at the same settings or bead sequence that I do for one sitting in a vise in the shop. However I will still run both within the "range" allowed if I am in a situation governed by a WPS. (Yes welding occurs without a WPS- I know-I'm bad :)  )

The requirements within a code are a minimum. It is up to an individual companies quality system to control the variables required to consistently produce "quality" welds. It is my belief that the codes and standards are NOT a replacement for  well documented quality system. If I had the choice of only one, the quality system wins. A quality system could incorporate application specific "procedures" for various weldments reminding welders of the required parameters, their responsibility for choosing such, and the resources at their disposal should they need assistance.

I have spent many hours welding on "code" jobs and seldom saw a WPS. However I did see a foreman, QC, customer inspector, NDT technician.

Just my opinion though. And by no means any more valuable than that of the fine individuals on this forum.

Have a great day

Gerald Austin
Iuka MS
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 11-20-2013 01:35
Hello;
My thoughts are this is where experience comes in to play. Most of the WPS' I've welded to fit into the scenario you describe. Multiple processes and 1/8th to unlimited. If the boss man gave me a job to do and it was, say, welding some 1/4" plate with FCAW then I'd stay at the lower end of the range. If it was welding 2" with the same process, I'd crank it on up while staying within the limits of the WPS. These things are learned over time along with guidance from the foreman or QC or even the persons more seasoned co-workers. I  have been in both sets of shoes. Hope I have understood your post correctly.

Have a good evening;
Matt
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-20-2013 03:36
Well Mr Smith,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Now, I can honestly say I agree.  I also disagree.

First, the writer of a WPS must take many things into consideration.  Welding Process, Joint Design, polarity, material, etc.  Some of these are essential variables and some are non-essential variables.  They must be kept straight to know when another WPS MUST be written.

Thickness of material is not an essential variable.  One WPS can cover all thicknesses.  The WPS may contain a range of amperage that covers all the thicknesses. 

I agree that one WPS cannot cover everything.  You just need to know when you have to write additional WPS's.  A copy of D1.1, B2.1 and other documents is necessary in order to follow up with all the information needed on a WPS.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Richard Cook (**) Date 12-06-2013 20:57
Look at some of the AWS published SWPS, they list multiple wires, multiple joint configuration and a broad range. It is better to give yourself a broad range because of the variances in the operator and to allow for consolidation,. I mimicked the AWS documents and reduced my paperwork I fit 15 separate documents into one. it provides the operator the opportunity to find his "sweet spot" allowing for greater quality, all welders are not equal. It is up to the professional welder and his supervision to stay within the appropriate characteristics for the given conditions. in my mind it's lazy supervision if they want to say do it this way period. And buy the way how many welders really look at the WPS anyway. I'm in a shop with 150 welders and I will be lucky if they remember where we have them posted.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-06-2013 23:23
I utilize a general WPS, but I use tables within the WPS to provide more specific information and to tighten the ranges to something that is reasonable for the work being done. For instance, when using FCAW or GMAW; I use a graph to specify the electrode diameter, wire feed speed, the currant range, and the voltage. If working with SMAW; a table listing the diameter, current, and voltage range works nicely.

A WPS that has very broad ranges for each welding parameter is useless to most welder.

The purpose of the WPS is to provide direction to the welders and to ensure consistency from one welder to another so all their welds meet code requirements.

I have seen many WPSs that meet code requirements, but are as useless as teats on a bull. Most welders have no problem pointig out which WPSs fit to that category.

The problem as I see it is many WPSs are written by people that don't have to use them and have little actual welding experience. The SWPSs sold by AWS fit into that category. The ranges are so broad the welders cannot produce consistent results when using the full ranges listed. My experience has been that everyone of my clients that have purchased SWPSs find they do not provide their welders with the information they need to make consistent welds. They are too loosey goosey to be of any use. The proof is when you ask the welders if the SPWPs are useful. The response is always the same. That's not my opinion, it is the opinion of the people that have to use them.

Just an observation.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2013 12:45
Al,

Not to stir this pot too much...but, then I again I have always been a pot stirrer.  Some questions:

Don't you find it also varies with the application?  For example, there may be items in production that need tight guidelines for the welders in order to give very good, well defined direction for quality repeatability.   Then, there may be items in field erection of a building where the welders can be allowed some freedom in amperage control to achieve the desired quality with a minimum amount of up front paperwork and trying to write a hundred different WPS's in order to accomplish all the various thicknesses, positions, and joint configurations that will be encountered.  Not that there is a one WPS fits all application here.  But it should be able to be a little broader in order to cut down confusion sorting through stacks of WPS's in order to find the ONE that fits this particular thickness, position, joint combination. 

Part of the problem with this question always comes back around to training as well.  No matter how many WPS's you have in order to cover every possible application, it will ultimately depend upon welder skill, experience, and training for the current application.  Many think their way is the best just because it is what they have done and they can get it to work.  But, after proper training they find they can produce better quality in less time when done correctly.  But they still can have some control over the settings unless there is very specific reasons for the tighter controls.

Hope I made sense there.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-13-2013 15:28
I agree with everything you said.

Darn computer. It shut down by itself to load a Windows update. Well, at least it got me back to the point where it shut down.

Back on subject; I agree with what you said and that is in large part why I am not an advocate for the canned SWPSs marketed by AWS. There is not good one size fits all WPS. Buying a SWPS from AWS is like ordering a pair of shoes where one size fits all. The shoes are either too tight, too loose, wrong color, or the boots are too cumbersome for dancing.

Like you, I consider the application and the skill level of the welders involved. That's why our clients hire us. That's why we pick d choose our doctors, and that's why we have favorite restaurants.

Got go. I have a teleconference to attend.

Best regards - Al
- By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-11-2013 17:24
Why are you really using a WPS? To satisfy a customer's request that you actually have one, or for the purpose that Al states, to give the welders guidance and detailed direction? If it is truly the latter, I agree with Al that broad ranges can create difficulty in achieving repeatability.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Multi-use WPS