Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding .060 Aluminum
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-19-2013 23:07 Edited 11-21-2013 23:02
I seen something today that I didn't think could be done with a GMAW machine. I took a picture but it didn't come out good so I will try again tomorrow. They brought this welding machine in and I thought to myself that's going to weld .060 6061 aluminum right. I was amazed how good of a job it did and I never heard of this machine before. I know that they would like to keep AWS commercial free so I want name the welding machine if you would like to know PM me and I will tell you.

I finally got the picture and this was on .060 6061 aluminum and using .035 4043 wire you probably could go to a .030 wire and make a smaller weld.
                 M.G.
Attachment: moto_0044.jpg (115k)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-20-2013 12:18
Hey Milt

Lincoln, Miller and Fronius all make GMAWP machines that can easily weld .060 aluminum.

It's pretty exciting to see a Mig machine do work that a few years ago only a Tig operator could accomplish
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-20-2013 15:44
Yes Lawrence I was surprised when I seen what that Fronius machine could do. I think if someone that I had just run across told me that I don't think I would have believed him.

M.G.
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 11-25-2013 16:30
Hello Milt
It is amazing what can be done but it still takes lots of practice , As far as bead size I am playing with that now and finding out just going little smaller wire doesn't help much with pulse. My machines software only goes down to .035" and I thought the same but with the right settings and speed you can get a nice small bead with good penetration and very little ridge on backside, surprised the heck  out of me doing a simple bend test, bending them over toward the weld as far as you can they don't break or crack, that is using 5356 wire on 5052 material. never had much luck with the 4043 on a bend test like that
  Tom
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding .060 Aluminum