Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metalizing Question
- By jbndt (**) Date 11-20-2013 03:14
Wow, it appears that the last time Metalizing was brought up was back in 2009.

I’d normally let sleeping dogs lay but, I’ve just been ‘blessed’ with finding a solution.

The Problem – Hard Edges

History - The Company I work for is actively getting into metalizing and is having a heck of a time achieving the proper blast profile on the edges of their built-up girders.
It’s not just affecting the parts that we are doing in house (with our own equipment) but, the parts that we have an outside contractor metalizing are also suffering the same symptoms.
To date we have abused the edges with pneumatic 90 degree grinders with sanding disks, 6” cup stones, 9” grinding wheels and a 3” Fein belt sander with limited success.
Using a GE/Krautkramer DynaPOCKET hardness gauge to test the edges, we started at 25 on the Rockwell C scale then, down to 20 and now we shoot for ‘UFL’ with the results being the same … Hard dark islands in a sea of glittering gray …

The Question – Is there something we can use to better verify the condition of the edges prior to blasting?

Is there a better PORTABLE machine that can mill or plane the edge similar to what a plate bevel machine (Mill Hog) does?

Numerous web searches have not been very fruitful and now, I need to ask the professionals.

Thank you in advance.
jb
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metalizing Question