Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PQR without backing, WPS with (D1.1)
- - By marktski (**) Date 11-21-2013 16:53
If I use a PQR without backing it is a CJP. Both with and without backing are allowed.
Can I test weld personnel with backing and have them qualified to both? D1.1 table 4.11
states "The omission of backing (if used in the WPQR test). Opinions please.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-21-2013 20:56
You say you are using a 'PQR'.  May I ask why?  You should be working to a WPS that may be supported by a PQR.

Now, for testing personnel you need to follow Clause 4 Part C for Performance Qualification. And from that area in 4.23 we read: "Note that qualification on joints with backing qualifies for welding production joints that are backgouged and welded from the second side."

Beware, that does not include CJP's without backing welded from one side only.  Those need PQR's and the welders tested to and qualified to that to prove their ability. 

But, overall, welder qualification is separate from production operations.  Also, the question becomes rather you are welding from both sides.  If your PQR is to prove the ability to successfully complete joints from one side without backing then all welders performing that joint need to qualify to your WPS written from your PQR according to the proper table.  Remember, the PQR needs three tests but after successful completion the following welders only need two plates just as in the standard welder qualification. 

So, if I may, with what process are you welding?  Are you welding CJP's from only one side?  Have you completed a WPS for production from your PQR? 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By marktski (**) Date 11-22-2013 13:05
First of all, thank you Brent.

We are welding with Metal core wire. If I set my WPS for welding with backing, then a prequalified PQR without backing still supports the WPS correct?
My concern was Table 4.11, item 6, The omission of backing (if used in the WPQR test)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-23-2013 04:16
What a week.  I should have just gone to Fabtech.  Would have had so much more fun.

Anyway, I hope my response was not too confusing.  Trying to figure out the OP's question.  Still having some problems with the sentence structure and understanding exactly what they are doing and what the question is.

I may have a slightly different view of the application but think that overall Al and I are on the same page.  I wasn't trying to make a full explanation until I could get more information, which I am still unclear about some things. 

I going to bed and going to sleep all weekend.  See you much later.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-22-2013 21:07 Edited 11-22-2013 21:29
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

One must learn the lingo if one wants play the game.

The WPS is the recipe the welder follows to produce a weld that has the required mechanical properties and meets code requirements.

The PQR is a record of what was done to demonstrate the proposed WPS (the engineer's best guess of what will work) will produce the desired mechanical properties.

The WPTR is a record of the performance test administered to the welder and it is a record of the test results.

If the WPS does not meet the prerequisites of prequalification, the contractor performing the welding must "prove" the proposed WPS (often referred to as the preliminary WPS) will develop the required mechanical properties, i.e., tensile strength, soundness (guided bend tests), and NDE (visual, RT, or UT). The material tested, the welding process, filler metal, etc. are recorded on the PQR. Likewise, the test results ae recorded on the PQR. If the test results are satisfactory and meet all the code requirements, the contractor uses the information recorded on the PQR as the basis of wring the production WPS. The WPS, supported by the successful PQR, is now qualified.

The WPS lists all the information the welder needs to make a code compliant weld. It tells the welder the welding process, the base metal(s), the joint detail, the filler metal, the shielding gas, voltage, current, wire feed speed, travel speed, preheat requirements, post weld heat treatment, etc. Just a a cookbook tells the cook what is required; how much of each ingredient is needed, what mixing sequence is followed, what temperature to cook the mixture, and for how long it must be cooked, the WPS likewise should provide the welder with the information needed to make a production weld. 

The welder performance tests required by AWS D1.1 are described in Clause 4 Part C. The tests are defined with sketches of the required test assemblies. The tests shown by D1.1 are mandatory and are considered to be the minimum testing regiment required. Once the mandatory performance test(s) are successfully passed by the welder, the contractor has the option of administering additional tests that may require additional skills. However, I reiterate the mandatory tests shown in Clause 4 are required. The welder can use a prequalified or qualified WPS, applicable to the specific test, when welding his test assembly. In many cases, the WPS used to qualify the welder is the same as that used for production welds. It is also acceptable to use a WPS developed specifically for the purpose of qualifying the welder, i.e., it is not applicable to production welds.

AWS D1.1 is different from ASME Section IX. What is permitted by ASME is not necessarily permitted by AWS. Do not try to mix and match the requirements of ASME with AWS.

My first impression of the contractor's technical competence is based on my review of the WPS and supporting PQR submitted. If the contractor does not know the proper terminology, if the contractor doesn't understand the difference between the WPS and PQR, if the contractor can't complete the welding documentation correctly, I operate on the basis that the contractor is incompetent and needs close monitoring.

Al
Parent - - By marktski (**) Date 11-25-2013 14:53
Perhaps I worded this poorly. My end result is to qualify welders to A-36 (1" plate), Groove welds using Metal Core wire .045" and .062" dia.
The WPS should be supported as prequalified. 4.24 states that "joints with backing qualify for welding production joints that are back gouged
and welded from the 2nd side." My confusion arose when reading table 4.12 variable (6) "the omission of backing if used in the WPQR test."
The prequalified joints are listed as with and without backing. (B-U2-GF), (B-U2a-GF) Therefore, my opinion is that the welders are qualified
to weld: joints with backing,and joints welded from both sides with back gouging. My WPS will specify backing, 2-G,1",45 degree V, 1/4 root.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-25-2013 16:12
Okay, if I have now gotten this straight then I believe you are good to go. 

Your qualified welders can weld from one side with backing, as when they tested.  They can also weld from one side w/o backing but then back gouging the second side and welding it to completion.  They cannot weld from one side only without backing. 

Table 4.12 is referring to that last sentence, they need to be requalified if omitting backing to weld a joint from one side only. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PQR without backing, WPS with (D1.1)