Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / does brand matter?
- - By mainiac Date 03-01-2003 23:10
hey all, im new to the board this is my first post! i took a half year course on basic welding at school and i really enjoyed it and learned alot. now i want to buy a welder for myself, to use on my truck and car and on other crazy and unusual projects (im 17). i was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the welders for sale at walmart (hausfeld?) and if it would be worth it to get it or if its just not built well. keep in mind that i am a high school student and have very limited funds. another thing i was wondering was if you think it would be a good idea to invest in a nice (though less expensive) stick welder for now. or a lower end mig welder.

btw, the mig at walmart is 80amps has infinate wire settings but only 4 voltage(or wattage?) settings and doesnt come with a bottle for about $250 and the stick welder is 80 amps w/ 4 settings for about $90

thanx in advance
~erk
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 03-02-2003 01:21
you'll be able to weld 1/8" steel w/ that mig welder. 80 amps isn't very much. 130 amps is ok for 1/4" steel. you could always buy it, try it out, and w/ walmart's return policy, you could always take it back if it's not what you want. hehehehe
Parent - - By mcavana (**) Date 03-02-2003 07:18
I think it is best to have a stick welder first. You will be able to use it for almost anything, and is less expensive to get started. The skills you develope will only help you with other processes that you get into later. try to get one with 175 amp capability. I think lincoln sells one now that is just a couple hundred dollars. However if you ONLY plan to use it on vehicles and very thin metals, the mig welder would be more practical. Hope this helps... I doubt it does :)
Parent - - By mainiac Date 03-02-2003 17:43
thank you for your help, i guess you do have a good idea, mcavana. i believe i will be getting a stick welder, now whats this you say about a lincoln 175 stick for a couple hundred? do you think i should stick to the "brand names" like lincoln and miller or is it alright to get an off brand welder?
Parent - By brande (***) Date 03-08-2003 04:58
You really can't get hurt buying from the big three-Lincoln, Miller, Thermal Arc. Parts and service are readily available, if needed.They all make decent machines, although some better than others.

I spent many years as a repair technician. Parts and such from the off brands are difficult, if not impossible.

Yes, I often modified available parts to make these off brands run, but the cost often exceeded the original purchase price of the machine!
I can keep most any machine running-all it takes is money!! :-)

Also, many technicians will not go to lengths I did to keep a machine running.

You spend your money as you see fit, got no problem with that-A good welder should last 20 yr or more. Welding equipment is definitely an example of "pay me now, or pay me later".

Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

brande

Parent - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 03-08-2003 06:30

Hey, guy,

Keep in mind that what you want to do will require more than welding. You will really want full grinding, cutting, sandblasting, hammering, etc. capabilities. Your money might be better spent getting access to a local shop. If you want to develop welding skills, nothing beats a torch -- but I wouldn't buy it a Wal-Mart! Victor stuff is the best but probably overkill. If you are near a city then you'll be able to find community shop space supported by local artists. If not, go oxy-acetylene -- it is the most versatile.

Chris
Parent - By joe valdez (*) Date 03-09-2003 02:55
Hi old buddy,
well first of all ,I am sure you learned that weding machines are not only rated according to amperage output,but also duty cycle ie: rated by minutes machine can operate in a period of ten minutes at max amperage.If you are a serious welder forget the Walmart unit,check the newspapers,phone fab shops,go to auctions,get a good 250 amp unit (Lincoln,Miller) at a reasonble price.Hard economical times means there are lots of good deals out there.
Good Luck Buddy
Joe Valdez
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / does brand matter?