Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Power supply for Miller 180SD
- - By SUBLIME (*) Date 03-02-2003 00:51
First off I have been looking for an excuse to get rid of my Federal Pacific panel and go with something else, probably GE.

I have a 50ft runt to get 230v out to my garage. How big of a breaker do I really need? How many amps can I expect to draw while welding say 1/8" 5086 aluminum.
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 03-02-2003 01:28
you won't draw more than 20-25 amps on 1/8" aluminum depending on your machine. check the welder, and somewhere it should the max amps it will draw.

I know it's not up to code, but I've run my lincoln 175 MIG off of 2 seperate 20 amp breakers (which adds up to 40 amps and 230 V) and didn't have a problem. the only thing that might go wrong w/ that is if one breaker trips and the other doesn't, you could fry your welder. but my welder doesn't draw more than 25 amps, so I was well within the 40 amp range.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-02-2003 07:35
I don't know if it's up to code either but if the two breakers are side by side you can drop something like a welding rod stub through the little holes in the switch handles and that will ensure that they both trip together (the one that trips has enough force to open the other).

Spec sheet from Miller site says max input to this machine is 68 amps 208 or 230 volts.

Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Power supply for Miller 180SD