Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Liability insurance
- - By mastermetal (*) Date 11-28-2013 20:17
Hey guys, I am in need of liability insurance. I am in Co, doing small structural, piping and general fab on industrial sites. I contract myself and equipment and I also bid jobs. One man show. No employees. Can anyone give me names of insurance company's that would cover me. Also looking for reasonable thief insurance on my equipment, if there's such a thing.

Thanks for the help...Happy holidays to you all.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-29-2013 20:11 Edited 11-30-2013 21:06
Find yourself an independent agent that deals with business insurance. I believe mine is Cincinnati Insurance group or something like that. They do well and have covered everything from hot work in a ditch to high wire work. Have never been questioned about what I do and they have not dropped me because they were scared I was welding on live gas lines, they just charge me more.

I dropped my business coverage and kept my truck on there as commercial and am adding my family vehicles as "business use"(as they are) but it is so much cheaper than the big name jokers.

Start calling around Monday morning to independents and grilling them on what is available. Some guys use some lady out of Oklahoma or Texas, not sure which and have heard it is dirt cheap($1200). I pay more for that on just my truck. Mine ran around $3600 per year, workers comp, truck, liability($1mil truck/$2mil business). Truck was around $750, workers comp, can't remember. I had to carry workers comp on myself here in Tennessee, really stupid as I cannot sue myself if I get hurt but some joker up there decided they needed more money I guess. I pay around $1400 per year on the truck alone now. This also includes tool coverage($250) and some carry over insurance in case something I have done goes boom in the future. Truck is actually $1250 but it is also a medium duty truck.

Hope this info helps you out. I know what it was like getting rolling, one man band and trying to find coverage.

Shawn
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 11-30-2013 14:10
Hey Shawn, could you send me the contact info. I have 1 mil on the truck and  my good hand folks just raised it to $2k a year- just for the truck!!!!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-30-2013 20:58
Ted, I'll send you my agents phone number and you can give her a buzz tomorrow. She should be able to get you the contact info on who I am using exactly for my truck insurance. I'll let her know that you will be calling. PM sent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-07-2013 01:56
WHATEVER you do.....ask a lot of questions and make DANG SURE the idiot negotiating with the underwriters for you has dealt with welders before....if it is new to them do not waste your time and go to the next.  Best not counting agencies you have already been given....insurance is kinda an in state thing.....call up companies and ask point blank if they specialize in GL policies for business....if so then question them on dealing with welding companies.   That will save you tons of grief and paperwork filled out for naught.  Shop around for the best price....takes way more effort then getting car insurance.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Liability insurance