Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Symbol
- - By SVANDEWINCKEL Date 12-04-2013 13:38
Good morning,
I have a question on the correct AWS weld symbol to use on a sheet metal part. It's a corner to corner weld that is at a 45 deg angle to each other, not 90 deg. Another discription of this joint would be a Butt joint with one of the sides of the butt joint rotated up 45 deg and then welding on the outside of the open v-section. By AWS definition this can't be a fillet weld because the two surface aren't at an approximate right angle to each other. The closest symbol I could find was a V-groove but I'm not sure if this is correct.

Thanks for any reply
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2013 23:07
When in doubt, draw a section detailing the weld and the applicable dimensions. The welding symbol only needs to consist of an arrow pointing to the joint, a reference line, and the tail listing the detail showing the welding requirements.

Al
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 12-05-2013 00:35
From my understanding of your description, it does sound more like a 'V' groove weld than any other. However, if you are in any doubt or lack direct engineering input just go ahead with Al's suggestion and detail the joint.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-06-2013 00:45
And don't forget to "attach" the detail drawing either to your next post, or to your original post if possible?:eek::lol::roll::wink: That would help a bit...:cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Symbol