Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CRI Qualifications
- - By Flip Date 12-04-2013 22:39
I have a question regarding the qualification level of the CRI certification issued by AWS. I am inspecting a multiple tank job wherein 3 tanks are API 650 and two are API 620. I am a CWI and recently achieved my CRI through AWS to aid in the evaluation and acceptance of film from our third party inspection company.
In doing so I have been stamping our reader sheets with my CRI stamp if I agree that all variables are met etc...
I recently had a quality control manager make the statement to me that I am not qualified to interpret this film because I do not have 80 hrs. of training to the ASNT-TC-1A and am not a level II.
My question is "Where do I find the documentation that proves my CRI certifies me as a limited level II and is acceptable to be applied to the requirements of ASME Section V?"
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2013 23:02
Under the auspices of ASNT SNT-TC-1A or CP189, it is the employer that certifies their NDE personnel. If your employer does not have the AWS CRI written into their written practice and if your employer has not completed the documentation required by their (own) written practice, you are not certified per SNT-TC-1A or CP-189 or ASME Section V.

Al
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 12-05-2013 01:03
Oh dear! I'm not totally familiar with this CRI qualification and am too tired at the moment to research it. I guess its an AWS qualification of some sort. However, API 650 does state that:

6.1.3.2 Personnel who perform and evaluate radiographic
examinations according to this section shall be qualified and
certified by the manufacturer as meeting the requirements of
certification as generally outlined in Level II or Level III of
ASNT SNT-TC-1A (including applicable supplements).
Level I personnel may be used if they are given written acceptance/rejection procedures prepared by Level II or Level III
personnel. These written procedures shall contain the applicable requirements of Section V, Article 2, of the ASME Code.
In addition, all Level I personnel shall be under the direct
supervision of Level II or Level III personnel.

I guess unless the acceptance of a AWS CRI is accepted in, and written into your companies procedures, then your not covered!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-08-2013 17:28 Edited 12-08-2013 17:33
The QC manager is correct. You are not qualified to interpret the film. Your part of the process is to qualify the film: Proper film quality, proper pentrameter, pentrameter placement, essential hole (wire) visibility, proper density, proper geometric sharpness.
When processed is the film free of artifacts and properly handled.
A lot of inspectors want to interpret the film (and I have been guilty of that myself in the past) but do not qualify under ASNT. That means you cannot do it. Now you have the right to review the film to check for the above, and if you happen to see something bring it to the Level II's attention. Or if you see something you do not agree with, you have the right as the owners representative to bring it to the Level III's attention or the project engineer, but you do not have the right to accept or reject the interpretation of the qualified technician if the film meets the requirements.
And if you are the customer's rep and the erector is furnishing the radiograph, it is the erectors responsibility to sign off on the reader sheet, not you! You have the right to review the film but you cannot interpret or qualify the film or sign the reader. If you feel there is a discrepancy, you bring it to the owner's attention and it is their responsibility to take action.
One thing that should always be covered in the pre job are the responsibilities and actions to take if there are discrepancies.
Some inspectors are under the impression attaching their stamp gives the documents a higher level of acceptability. Such as stamping Section IX WPQ's with a CWI stamp (again hand up, guilty).
I see less experienced tank inspectors get eat up with RT and miss the importance in diesel testing of the corner weld and vacuum box testing of the floor plates. One thing I demand of the contractor is their responsibility to do the visual inspection of the welds. I cover this in the pre job. When they are ready to sell off the welding on the corner, I will then do the final visual. I do not mooch or mark the welds. If I find ONE reject, I stop the inspection and the contractor will then mooch, mark and repair. When they are ready again I will re-inspect. Again, if I find ONE reject, they mooch, mark and repair. Unless I am the contractors QC I am not there to be their inspector. They are responsible to submit to me a product that meets the requirements of API.
Same with the diesel test and vac box. I witness the application of the diesel in the corner and the supt and I walk the corner together. If there is one indication, I walk out. I do not allow re-test on the failed area. It is the whole corner.
On vacuum box it is required for the contractor to have a procedure for the qualification of personnel (Jager, eye examination etc.) and a procedure for the test. I judge it on the size of the pinholes. If all you are seeing is occasional small fluff, mark, repair and re-test. I walk the floor at least once a day looking at the welds. You learn real quick where the problems are going to occur. And the welding quality. If the welders are stretching the rod, you are going to see a lot more indications. That means if you are using 18 inch rods and the welders are getting 24 -28 inches of weld, the weld will not be the proper size and they are running too fast with the opportunity of improper shielding with the XX24 rods.
Sorry about the rabbit trail.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CRI Qualifications