Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / how to write wps form?
- - By chou Date 12-08-2013 15:09
in ANNEX N has a WPS form of WPS prequalification about base metals that don't know how to write?
in below instance:

BASE METALS

Joint Designation:TC-U4a-GF Thickness 40mm
Material Spec.   A572
Type or Grade:  Gr50
Thickness:  Groove..........Fillet........(as left how to write Groove and Fillet)

Joint Designation:B-U2a-GF Thickness 40mm
Material Spec.   A572
Type or Grade:  Gr50
Thickness:  Groove..........Fillet........(as left how to write Groove and Fillet)

Above the question can reply to me?

thanks'
best regard
chou
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-14-2013 16:55 Edited 12-14-2013 17:19
Chou;

AWS D1.1:2010 Annex N also includes an example of a PQR and WPS with data entries to serve as examples of what information goes where.

You can also read several articles that appeared in the magazine Inspection Trends.  You might find the articles useful.

Here's a short cut to the past issues: http://www.aws.org/itrends/archive/2010/index.html

The articles start with the fall (2010) issue (http://www.aws.org/itrends/2010/10/IT_October_2010/index.html) and run consecutively in several of the following issues (http://www.aws.org/itrends/2010/07/IT_July_2010/index.html) ,(http://www.aws.org/itrends/2010/04/it201004/it0410-15.pdf), through 2011 (http://www.aws.org/itrends/2011/01/InspectionTrends_201101/index.html). Look for the articles written by Albert J. Moore Jr.. There are several other article on the subjects, but you have to brows each of the past issues of Inspection Trends to find them.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-15-2013 16:19
Chou, if you can or the company that you work with, they can purchase the AWS B2.1 book and it has just about everything you might need.

AWS B2.1/B2.1M:/2009
                                                 An American National Standard
                                             Specification for Welding Procedure
                                              and Performance Qualification
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2013 13:46
The problem with B2.1 is the ASME influence on the subcommittee. I used to use B2.1 for the majority of my work. Now, I rarely use it because it follows ASME Section IX with regards to nonessential variables such as arc voltage, amperage, travel speed, etc.

Al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-16-2013 15:37
Al what do you use. I've found that B2.1 help me out a lot.

M.G.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2013 16:05
I developed my own checklist/form that includes the variables needed for working to NAVSEA/AWS D1.1/ASME. All the variables are listed. I record as much as information as possible when qualifying a WPS so I have something to reference when writing the WPS. Not all the information is needed, so I simply don't enter the information. Too much information is better than not enough.

For instance, I record the heat and lot number of the base metal and the filler metal. Now I have a link to the original material test reports if there is a question on the materials used at some later date. I also record the model and serial number of the welding machine. Again, it may not be needed, but I have the information should  question arise.

Was the item welded in a chamber, using a trailing gas, or was nothing more than a number 8 gas nozzle used? It  recorded on the PQR.

What was the actual root opening? What was the actual groove angle? What was the actual root face? All that is recorded by the PQR.

What was the time to weld each weld bead? It is recorded.

What was the interpass temperature for each weld bead? It is recorded.

What was thickness of each weld layer? It is recorded.

Some of the information is not required by the specific welding standard, but the questions often come up at a later date. I have a job that just came in this morning. The client had some questions on how the WPS was qualified. The previous consultant didn't record the information, so now they cannot answer their customer's questions. End result, they are being asked to requalify the WPS and I got the job because the previous consultant didn't record all the information needed. I was contacted because they noticed the WPSs I qualified had the information their customer asked for. My WPSs were accepted and the WPSs I didn't qualify are rejected.

Code is code, but the customer holds the gold (check). As the saying goes, "He who holds the gold makes the rules."

Al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-16-2013 16:29
Will said Al.How would a person go about get the code or standard for NAVSEA.

M.G.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2013 18:01
From the customer that is subcontracting the work. Military contracts utilize a tiered system or hierarchy. Everything rolls downhill.

At one time many of the specifications and standards were available on-line. While you can purchase some of them, others are difficult to find and who can get them is closely controlled.

Al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-16-2013 21:00
Al have you ever done any work that was under the NACE code. The reason that I'm asking the place that I work is thinking about getting into that type of work.

M.G.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2013 21:13
No.

NACE is cited by the petrochemical industry on occasion.

Like any code, you have to have a copy if you want to play their game and they are never inexpensive.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / how to write wps form?