Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Welder's Clothing
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-14-2013 23:55
Been looking around again for leather welding clothes for welders. Bought a Carhart jacket a month or so ago and it'll be used up in another month or two. Bought some carhart bibs, same situation. I thought about some leather welders chaps, haha, what a joke. Looks like somebody cobbed them together in a corner of their garage for the most part. Leather welding jackets? If you work in a shop they are perfect I suppose. Once again in the season where I b__ch about nobody making gear suitable for what we do. Can't use fireman jackets as they are not "welder proof" according to the manufacturer I spoke with last year.

Oh well, gripe session over, LoL!! I'd like to see these Welder clothing manufacturers wear their protective gear and stay warm in zero degree weather wallowing in the snow. I'd like to see these folks strap on a harness loaded down with gear and climb a 400 foot tower in 20 degree weather and stay warm, let alone have the mobility to actually climb. I'd like to see them put on their "protective" gear and do anything besides work in a shop environment. I honestly believe they have no fargon idea wtf we are doing outside of the shop, what elements we deal with. All tucked away in their cozy offices dreaming of ideas for clothing that ain't worth mule pizz. Wish I knew more about sewing and making clothes!!
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-15-2013 00:35
You raised some really good points there, and I hear your pain back in the day carharts were the the thing but no more and for what they cost and how long they last it is sad . Have had brand new sets go up in a day or two , Lapco produces some good stuff but like carhart a lot of it is now made in china, so much for made in the USA good that there profit margine goes up sad that mine and your's keeps going down.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2013 13:52
I used to wear a leather welding jacket large enough to wear an insulated or wool shirt under the jacket. It worked fine in these New England winters when I worked out in the weather as an Ironworker. The leather stopped the wind and the heavy shirts kept me warm. It was simply part of my winter wear whether I was welding or not.

Al
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-17-2013 03:37
I've been looking at plain leather jackets to do just that. My job however is unlike 99% of the welders out there. Have looked at Filson's Tin Cloth jackets but don't think they will hold up to the abuse I will put them thru. The search continues! :lol:
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Welder's Clothing