Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / U/W welding
- - By makeithot (***) Date 12-15-2013 00:22
found this shot in the archives today, I have way too much time on my hands these days, but loving the down time. its a great shot taken at night and is a good example of how hydrogen bubbles accumulate off just the rod itself. Not to mention what is also created in the arc. hydrogen accumulation is the number one hazard in my mind associated with the wet welding process. failure to either vent or clear this gas is the most common cause of injury and death. thats how you make the big bucks, travel the world and o ya chicks dig you at least thats what it said on the dive school brochure.
Attachment: Itshot.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-15-2013 01:06
I always wanted to put a piece of plate in a bucket and fill it with water and weld on it hahaha I probably better not because i may love it so much I want to do it for real.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-15-2013 01:31
I hear ya , even though it is no longer my main focus these day's. I still get the itch once in awhile to throw on the hat and make fire underwater, but for the most part "If there's no cash,there's no splash" but it is one of those things that just gets in your blood.
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 12-15-2013 14:52
once you start welding the electrolysis for the most part goes away.  Have seen  several times that when you break the arc that the tip is still "lit" because of the burning hydrogen.  The other part is that you have a lot of diffused hydrogen in the weld because it cools so quickly, after a bit of time most of it will come out on its own, can't remember how long it takes.  I use to have some photos that I took a long time ago that had the hydrogen/oxygen depending on your polarity coming off of the rod.  Took series of them to see that during the welding portion that very little bubbles come off if any, and that also depends on the amps your running.  Some of the fellas like running way on up there and their rods would bubble like crazy.
Parent - - By Len Andersen (***) Date 12-30-2013 15:40
Makithot Ladies and Gentlemen,
        My underwater wet welding back ground goes back more than thirty years , includes five patents and managing a job with thirty welder divers. I would be happy to send you a power point presentation I made at our annual meeting in Las Vegas2012 ! Note below. With my system what you referred to does not happen and you do not feel electricity with normal steel electrodes , the cooling is such that see red heat for 2 to 6 seconds and 2 T bend weldments  were achieved. 
           I presented at the  “Underwater Water Welding Cutting Conference“

“Monday, November 12, 2012
Water Interactive Wet Welding

Leonard M. Andersen, Engineer Looking For Work

One development is a gelatinous coating comprising particles of electrode coating and thermite suspended in a gel for use as an insulating coating and fluxing agent. Patents have run out on many patents. However, Andersen is available for consulting.”

The presentation was to wildly enthusiastic multitudes. Truth in Len'ing there was about ten and none snored! My background includes being a graduate engineer long term member of the SPE / AWS / ASCE / ASME / STLE with five patents in welding, two in petroleum, one in lubrication, one allowed in gas turbines and one pending in gas turbines and +20 years of experience in the area. I look forward to hearing from you.
                      Sincerely
Len Andersen weld@spemail.org
               914-536-7101  - 914-237-7689 (H)  -  800-428-4801
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $ 1160 per year Caller Box GPO New York , New York  / Most Secure Service At Largest the Post Office )
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-30-2013 16:08
" Truth in Len'ing "

Classic!

Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-30-2013 16:11
Len,

The holidays must be agreeing with you, that was great.  And, not meant as a slam, one of the most clear posts you have put up.

Hope you find work soon.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2013 13:43
I only had an opportunity to try underwater welding once. It was nothing more than a demonstration in a large training tank at a local AWS meeting, but it was a hoot. All I could see was a glow through the cloud of bubbles. There was no way I could actually see the weld pool. The slag separated immediately upon cooling. It wasn't a bad looking weld considering the lack of visibility.

What struck me was trying working in neutral buoyancy. I had to wrap my legs around something to stabilize myself. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to work against the affects of flowing current.

I used to do a lot of ice diving using a dry suit. I can only imagine how cold it can be doing that for hours on end. The cold water felt like someone was driving sharp pins into your skin. The advantage of ice diving; no boats trying to run you over!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-17-2013 05:09
I here ya about the cold thing did three seasons in the arctic training inuit people how to dive and dig for clams. Had to saw through five feet of ice,could see Greenland from where we were. but aside from the cold -50 some days ,was some of the best diving I have ever done, water was like swimming in gin 3-4 hundred feet of visibility and the people were so much fun to work with.
Parent - By iron mike Date 12-30-2013 06:03
i made  my rods out of baked 6013 rod,dipped them in nitrocellulose,spit out many a filling doing that crap.. i know to much about it.. wet welding  is a limited deal,it will always be a brittle weld,no matter how perfect it may look..it is however a marvel for gettin'r done...spent many a night welding up sunken hulls for controlled air lifts.my bones still hurt from those days..
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / U/W welding