Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Slag Pots - UT Inspection
- - By Quibo (*) Date 12-16-2013 22:55
Gents, could you please help me, we need inspect our slag pots, the UT inspections must be performed as per ASTM A 609? any other inspection is required? we use the slag spots in a copper foundry.

thanks in advance
Attachment: slagpots.jpg (63k)
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 12-17-2013 02:09
I'm not familiar with foundry NDE requirements but I would think that there should be procedures to follow in the companies Quality Manual.

That being said, I would suggest MT in addition to UT if it is a ferromagnetic material.

There may be a defect or discontinuity just below the surface that might not be detected by UT. Just happened to us on a Produced Crude pipe. UT didn't catch it because it was so close to the surface but when we applied heat to the pipe OD, large blisters developed, causing us to stop work and re-evaluate the situation.

I'll try to post pics when I am on another computer. A pretty odd situation.
Attachment: IMG_0160.jpg - Blister/Laminations (50k)
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-19-2013 13:19
You wouldn't happen to be working Southern Peru Copper would you? ASARCO had standards and procedures in place before they were sold to Grupo Mexico. Grupo also has those procedures in place as well. I ask because that pot design looks extremely familiar to me, in particular the trunnion area. I've seen a lot of those pots in various parts of the world, and those were unique in my experience.

Assuming the above, I strongly advise you not to reinvent that particular wheel if you don't have to. However, if you must, be sure to apply straight beam UT exams down the trunnion axis with an eye towards hot cracking, and florescent MT on, and around the trunnion areas. Those are the weakest points in that design.  In any case, I would also strongly suggest getting a third party involved if they will let you. Last time I was in Peru, RTDApplus was still alive and active, as well as SGS. One of those two will very likely have personnel that have performed those exams already.

My two cents worth on that.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-17-2013 20:39
You might find UT to be difficult due to the nature of the rough cast surfaces. UT requires a relatively smooth surface in order to form a couple between the transducer and cast slag pot.

I second the idea of using MT to examine the surfaces of the slag pot. Dry magnetic particle with an AC yoke will easily detect any surface breaking cracks.

UT with a straight beam transducer would detect any subsurface planar discontinuities that are parallel to the test surface. Angle beam can be used for crack like discontinuities, but the rough surface could result is low amplitude reflectors.

Al
Parent - By Quibo (*) Date 01-18-2014 18:05
Thanks a lot all of you. After review the quote of our supplier, we agree with these inspections: UT as per ASTM A 609 (Quality Level 3), and MT as per ASTM E 709/E 325. All inspections around the trunion area.

regards,
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Slag Pots - UT Inspection