Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 Question concerning WQR
- - By KellyF (*) Date 12-17-2013 21:04
I posted this in the D1.1 Section also.
I have a welder who is qualified in D1.1 for FCAW Unlimited Thkns, All Position Groove welds.  His WQR does not list electrode diam.
The Annex N WQR form does not have a place to list the electrode diameter.  The WPS belongs to the previous contractor and is not available.
4.2.3.1 states that the welder is qualified in the process (not to a single WPS)
table 4.12 does not list electrode diameter as an essential variable.
MY Question IS:
Can he use 1/16" electrode if he tested with .045? (Both are E71T-1)
I need this answered with fact backing it up.
Thank You
Kelly
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-17-2013 21:26
Look at Table 4.6 Page in the 2010 D1.1 maybe it will hepl you out. What year is your code book.

M.G.
Parent - - By KellyF (*) Date 12-17-2013 22:10
Parent - - By KellyF (*) Date 12-17-2013 22:11
4.6 is for CVN (Charpy)
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-17-2013 23:04 Edited 12-17-2013 23:07
I meant Table Table 4.5 and 4.6 PQR Essential Variable Changes Requiring WPS Requalification for SMAW,SAW,GMAW,FCAW,(see 4.8.1). This is in the 2010 D1.1 welding code.

M.G.
Parent - - By KellyF (*) Date 12-17-2013 23:11
This would be for a WPS.  I want to find where it specifically states that the welder must qualify to the different electrode diameters.
Parent - By KellyF (*) Date 12-17-2013 23:15
Thank you for responding, I don't mean to sound unappreciative.
I was hoping that I could get a definitive answer with fact to back it up.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-18-2013 02:32
I may be misunderstanding. But it appears you answered part of your own question..

"Table 4..12 does not list electrode diameter as an essential variable" That is true. and that backs up the Answer of YES he is qualified to use a 1/16" electrode. The WPS used for qualification has absolutely nothing to do with the ranges qualified for the welder, only the ranges used for the test.

If there is a "Previous Contractor" then the NEW contractor should test the welder. Just my opinion.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-18-2013 12:09
Just because AWS D1.1 allows the Engineer to accept previous qualifications, does not mean it is automatic. The Owner, through the Engineer "may" accept previous qualification. It is a cheapo contractor that doesn't test his employees. How does the current employer know the test are papers are authentic? Does the current employer even care or is it a case of ask no questions and maybe no one will notice?

Just my opinion.

As noted by others, electrode diameter is a nonessential variable with regards to the welder qualification, but the welder is still limited by the current employer's WPSs.

Al
Parent - By KellyF (*) Date 12-18-2013 12:56
Our third party inspector says that his understanding is that the welder is qualified to the WPS that was used for the test and therefore is bound to the essential variables of the WPS. 
Hence if you tested with .045, that is what you are qualified for.
I just need to show that the welder is Qualified to a Process and not a WPS.
4.2.3.1 says to the process to which the welder was qualified for.  Qualified for being key, in that he followed a WPS to get there.
To go a step further: If a welder is qualified to run shelf shielded can he run dual shield, or CC vs CV?

We tested FCAW with .045 Gas shielded, unlimited, all positions and to ASME IX  RT.
And I have previous certifications on my welders.
Parent - - By KellyF (*) Date 12-18-2013 13:19
I have researched this in the forum and have found answers that support both "interpretations" of the code.
The third party inspector called a friend that was on an AWS committee that supported his view but said that other views are held by fellow members.
There needs to be a clear answer.  Table 4.12 is my best support, but I can understand the other inspectors view. 
We can test our welders to a different diameter wire, but where does it stop? 
What if we change electrode manufacture's? (see table 4.6) or correct a WPS due to a typo?
Does this mean we need to retest all welders for each essential variable in the WPS or for every prequalified joint?
Such is my quandary.
Thanks
Kelly
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-18-2013 14:59
D1.1 states that the welder must follow a WPS while testing, but the WPS is not an essential variable for welder qualification.

The welder must stay within the parameters listed by the WPS while taking the performance test. If the WPS list one electrode diameter, e.g. 0.045 inch diameter, then the welder must use 0.045 inch diameter electrode while taking the test. If the WPS lists 29 volts, 235 inch per minute for the wire feed speed, and 25 inches per minute for the travel speed, then those are the parameters that must be used while welding the test assembly.

The welder is not limited to the welding parameters listed by the WPS that was used to qualify once he moves into production. Production welding is governed by the WPS developed for production, as such the welder is obligated to works within the ranges listed by the production WPS.

The welder is required to requalify if the production requirements fall outside the permitted ranges listed as essential variables for welder qualification.

Al
Parent - - By KellyF (*) Date 12-18-2013 15:36
Al
Thank You for the eloquent explanation.  This will help me clarify my position with the third party inspector.
I appreciate all input on this matter. 
The original post was worded as not to try to steer the outcome. (or I should say I attempted not to lead the outcome)
I was not trying to get agreement, but clarification.
Would there have been a better way to ask the question?
Thanks Again
Kelly
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-18-2013 15:58
Kelly,

The "previous contractors" language will always raise red flags.. But were really not relevant to your main question.

Table 4.12 does not list filler wire dia. as an essential variable...  Al explained it perfectly as usual.

In fact... Gas Shielded vs Self Shielded FCAW is not even an essential variable for welder performance qualification.

4.12    is all the support you need... It is very clear.

So the answer to your original question is, "no"  Welder requalification is not required, assuming all other aspects of the welder test record comply with the production WPS.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-18-2013 15:19
I would like to see a written interpretation supporting the WPS as an essential variable for qualification. I wool have to write many NCRs.

Keep us posted.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-18-2013 15:42
Example. I wrote a prequal wps for testing welders. The ranges only cover those for the test. With the above "interpretation" then the welders would be limited.

The statement/wives tale "qualified to a wps" can be misleading. But I have heard it used over quite a few years.

The possibility exists that I am mistaken but again, I'm gonna have to get busy with some ncrs.

Gerald Austin
Iuka ms
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-19-2013 04:29
The tenor of much of this thread sounds like there is a lot of confusion between three separate aspects of written Welding Procedure Specifications.

One must keep these items totally separated in their mind as well as in the application of the WPS's.  We have WPS's for: 1) Welder performance testing, 2) Production welding, & 3) Procedure Qualification Testing.

Confusing the lines of any of these brings confusion all the way around.  D1.1 says the welder must take a qualification test to a WPS.  Once that has been completed he can weld to any WPS within the bounds of the qualification tables defining the essential variables to which the welder is limited.

The welder does not have to re-qualify for any old change that comes down the pike from the WPS they originally qualified to.  Take a test with .045 electrode, weld in production with .065 electrode.  Both done to WPS's that meet all the requirements of the applicable code.  Changing from one joint configuration to another does not mean the welder must re-qualify to a new wps for that joint.  It may, if he were only qualified for fillets and the joint is a vee groove.  But, not normally.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-19-2013 06:28 Edited 12-19-2013 06:31
To add to the confusion is the fact that we weld to several different welding standards, each with their own requirements.

Not all inspectors, engineers, welders, ....., are created equal. Depending on their experience, each has different acquired knowledge about the particular welding standard they work with. In some cases that knowledge is tribal, meaning that the individual involved never bothers to actually look up the requirements. Instead, they depend on someone telling them what the code requires.

Codes and standards are without a doubt expensive, but one must have access to them and study them to know what is actually required.  If one expects to work in the industry as an independent, whether it is as an inspector working in the field or someone that is testing welders in a lab, they have to purchase or steal a copy of the relevant standards. This can get very expensive very quickly especially if working to AMSE B&PV code. Section IX is not a stand alone document. One must review the applicable construction code to see if additional requirements or restrictions have been invoked.

I will take issue with Brent regarding the need for a specific WPS for qualifying welders when working with AWS D1.X structural welding codes and others. Most of the welding standards used by industry requires the welder to follow a WPS when qualifying. However, it can be a WPS used for production welds as long as it covers the variables needed to weld the test coupon. Having said that, I, like Brent, typically have a WPS specifically for the performance test being administered. It reduces the chance the welder will misunderstand what is required. I am in favor of telling the welder exactly what to do, what he can or cannot do while testing, and what the acceptance criteria is. I review everything with the welder before the first arc is struck. There should be no surprises. But, the question wasn't how to organize a testing program.

Back to the question, the welder, once qualified to a particular WPS is qualified for a range of WPSs used for different production work. For instance, ASME Section IX allows a welder qualified on carbon steel using the GTAW process to weld carbon steel, high strength low alloy steel, stainless steel, some copper nickel alloys, and nickel alloys as long as the F number of the filler metal isn't changed. In short the welder is qualified to weld with several WPSs that includes the base metals I listed. Since the P number of the base metal is an essential variable, each of the base metal groups having a different P number will most likely have separate WPSs. If the process is changed to GMAW, all bets are off because the welding process is an essential variable for both welder qualification as well as the WPS.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-19-2013 12:58
And you did not really take issue with me Al.  That needed to be clarified a little because of the way I had worded it.  I'm with you on that, but my point was that one was indeed needed for the welding test.  That does not mean it is useless anywhere else.  I usually give a welder or the company having him tested a copy of the WPS that is used for his test.  They can add it to their file of WPS's for use on jobs but no matter what, they now have at least the one the welder tested to and can send a copy to any inspector, agency, or use it in house to test welders to or... use a different one if they so desire. 

My post is not intended to mean that all of those WPS's are totally different from each other in their content.  They can be different, but they can also be identical as to content/requirements. 

My WPS for testing welders is pretty much identical to one I have on file for my shop and field usage as far as SMAW work goes.  The object is that there is one as per D1.1 code requirements (As stated by Al as well, and he is more thourough and precise in his wording). 

All I meant was, as to application there are three separate categories of WPS's.  The problems come when we start crossing those lines without knowing what the boundaries are as to the purpose for the WPS in use.  Especially within the areas of Welder Performance and WPQR's.  In this forum we often see people asking questions from Clause 4 when they should have been in Clause 3 and visa versa.  And also within many of the sub-clauses.  We must be very careful in how we are examining any part of the text to make sure it applies in all it's parts.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By KellyF (*) Date 12-19-2013 14:10
My third party inspector has brought up 4.22 to reinforce his stand.  
Brent, I believe your statement will help me straighten this out.
I like the way you made the separation of the purpose of the 3 WPS's.  I see WPS's can be the same, but the application is different.
Kelly
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-19-2013 14:51
Kelly,

Clause 4 contains the requirements for both welder performance testing and qualifying a welding procedure.  The tables and figures within this clause often confuse a good many inspectors.  Even seasoned inspectors will occasionally get their wires crossed in there.  That is where a good many will try to set boundaries that do not exist, they are applying the wrong table to the application at hand. 

I believe this may be part of your problem with your original question.  The TPI is attempting to put limits on the welder that would apply to a welder when qualifying a PQR.  Those will have exact voltage, amperage, wire size, wire manufacturer, and much more.  And, in production, your working WPS is limited to a tight range of variation from what was qualified.  If you change the parameters beyond those, you must qualify a new procedure and then any welder working to that must also requalify.  Thus, if you had a PQR for a special project and the wire was run with .045, I would agree, to use a .065 a new PQR would need to be qualified and the welder running the test coupons is automatically qualified when it is successfully run.  If I were the customer, I would want to see that any other welder working my job could also pass that precise test with the larger wire. 

But in everyday normal pre-qualified WPS production that is not necessary. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-19-2013 15:01
Brent, as you noted, I didn't say you were wrong, I simply thought a little clarification was in order.

We wouldn't want anyone to start thinking you and I were one and the same person using two different pen names would we? :grin:

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-19-2013 15:33
Not much worries about that :lol: .  Everyone knows I'm the young handsome one :roll:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-19-2013 15:54
I have to yield on those points.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 Question concerning WQR