Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aws is about money
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-31-2013 18:17
Anybody know of any outfits that require education beyond high school as well as certifications for employment eligibility?

Are there many career fields which hold an expectation for the employee to bring a fair to high level of skill, knowledge, work habits, and frequently autonomy, that don't?
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 01-01-2014 18:04
Are we done yet?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-12-2014 19:01
?
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-02-2014 14:55
I was taught you get out of life what you put into life.

I have had several mentors during my working career. Like my age, my skills have progressed, but only with the help of others that took the time to answer my questions and point me in the right direction. Ultimately it is up to the individual to seek help, training, and mentoring. Some people call it initiative, I call it an inquisitive mind. I wanted to know more. However, that need to know more did not apply to everything. For me, it was welding, building, and designing. For other people, different interests drive them into other endeavors. Some people get bitten by the computer bug, some are interested in writing, others find they like to sell. Thankfully that is the case or everyone would be trying to do the same thing.

In some ways I understand where Sourdough is coming from. It can be frustrating to work with individuals that have little interest in what they do for a living and they take little pride in what they do. I find that I have little empathy for individuals that do not put forth an honest effort. I find that if they don't have an interest in what they are doing, I would rather put my energies into someone that does want to improve their skills and lot in life.

Part of the problem, as I see it, it too many people have not been given an opportunity to explore the many different ways we can earn a respectable living. Too many people "fall into" their jobs because the job was available and they needed to put food on the table and a roof over their head. They have little interest in the work they do. For them, their job is simply a means of earning a paycheck. I was fortunate that my town had a school system that offered a wide variety of vocational courses in conjunction with academics. I took the "college track", but I also took every vocational class offered. It exposed me to woodworking (didn't like the dust), small engines and automotive (didn't care for the grease), drafting (didn't enjoy sitting for long periods of time), and metals shop (loved the machines and welding). My father fostered my interests by taking me on tours of Pratt & Whitney every few years. He worked second shift in the maintenance department as an electrician. It seemed like he knew everyone in that huge plant. I saw huge machines, welding, forging, casting, and NDT. I was probably around 13 or 14 the first time I saw Magnaflux or Zyglo.  Little did I know at the time I would be making a living doing NDT. We also spent a considerable amount of time at the local welding shop getting our farm equipment repair. It helped that the owner was expanding his shop and my father did all the electrical work for him. We got our welding done in exchange for my father's labor.  That's was where I was bitten by the welding bug. I couldn't get enough of it. I knew that was what I wanted to do.

Looking back, I have to wonder whether I would have taken the career path I have if it wasn't for the fact that I was exposed to so many different vocations as a youngster? Would I have progressed to where I am today if it were not for the mentors I've had over the years? I think the answer is clear, no.

I try to mentor others. I try to be responsive to questions asked by young welders or anyone that asks a question I have some knowledge of. Like Lawrence and others, I help welders improve their skills. I have taught several young people how to weld. I try to bring young welders into my NAVSEA training courses when they express an interest in welding and they want to know more than how to make a good looking weld bead. I have never had a client say no when I have asked if I could bring a young student to our week long training sessions. The youngsters are amazed at what they are expected to know in order to be a "NAVSEA" qualified welder. The advanced training gets them enthused about the possibilities that welding offers. They discover there is more to welding than making sparks.

I believe it is our responsibility to mentor young people, but I agree with Sourdough, they must express an interest in learning. If they already "know it all" and my advice falls on deaf ears, I simply save my voice for someone that is interested. As I say, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it wear a bikini." Trying to teach someone with no interest makes no more sense than trying to make the horse wear the bikini.

As for AWS being a money making machine; absolutely, but that money is put to good use. I took every AWS seminar that was offered in my area. I took evening seminars that stretched over several weeks. I attended the technical sessions, I took courses in safety, design, welding symbols, etc. It is how I became more knowledgeable about welding and I got acquainted with the movers and shakers in the welding industry. I met Chuck Hellier, the owner of Hellier NDT. Little did I know he would give me my start in NDT and consulting. I met George Torello, the engineer that challenged me to take the CWI examination. It has been some thirty years since I met those two gentlemen and I still work with them. Both were influential mentors to me in my professional career. AWS has been a major influence in my welding career, both as a welder burning electrode and as a welding inspector/consultant. The money I pay every year in dues and the money I've paid to attend seminars has been well worth the cost.

Happy New Year - Al
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-03-2014 22:15
X- Celent post....... Amazing how events and our surroundings form our lives and livelihoods ........ I also agree that a person has to have a passion for what they do for a living .......I personally need to be passionate about what I'm doing, NOT just punching in or collecting a check to make a living .....If I had to do something that I felt was mundane over and over for years, I would  definitely have mental/substance abuse issues.... As for teaching people, a thankless task as far as I'm concerned, alot of people just can't / won't be taught.....I've seen this in employees that I had..... "Know it All's "until its time to PRODUCE.....Some good stuff here by Larry, Henry ,Al,Brent and a few others.......From Pittsburgh home of dem' STILLERS and Penquins.......
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-04-2014 02:30
Jojimbo, that is hilarious and not at all poignant. 2014 is looking up.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-05-2014 03:21 Edited 01-05-2014 04:17
Hugs hugs all around ...cheers and good will to all abound!:grin:

I have people I respect well (not lightly) on both sides of this fence.  Argument aside....hmmmm.   Just to put it out there, some folks are driven by a different fuel or fire then most.  Whatever it is, it burns hot and with a lot of intensity.  Most people blow it off as axxholisim to some extreme but they are not correct in that assessment.  It really is intense frustration with the status quo, personality or mental defects that inhibit clear communication with one of these fast burning people.  Those folks with this "intensity" tend to be really talented at whatever they strive for but lack patience and empathy quite a bit, social bulldozers so to speak.  They can have great wisdom and quite "moral" and "good" intentions, but simply cut to the chase to bluntly for most to accept in any conversation.  While intention may be clear and hold extreme truth, be accurate and solution based-spot on...in general the application thereof will be unacceptable to the majority because it is typically at odds with their common moral-social-intellectual belief system.  Those familiar with the Myers & Briggs personality assessment may access that one of the combatants in this play is an INTJ (possibly ENTJ) personality profile and may then get a better understanding of the communication being offered.   I myself fall under that category [INTJ] (by multiple assessments professional and personal) and can tell you being misunderstood is commonplace occurrence.  It requires great effort on my part not to be taken as an arrogant ******* when in reality my intentions are strictly for improvement of the status quo.  Is it a handicap of sorts?  Well in this world surely so but...myself I fell blessed for my mental and emotional capacities or lack therof....God made me this way and I intend to be what he made me to my best of ability.

God bless all you guys and I hope you can find thought provoking reason in your arguments, learn some new concepts or empathy for viewpoints and in general somehow be better for the effort of your froth and wordsmith to your better or those around you.  After all why sweat any argument unless there is something to be gained for yourself or others?  Other wise it is pointless drivel and a waste of storage space on this server.

Peace out
Tommy
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-05-2014 03:30
BTW hey Hank   GLAD TO SEE YA!!!!!
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 01-06-2014 00:40
Tommyjoking.
I hate to be the one to break this to you but the Myers Briggs personality assesment is considered to hold about as much valididty as the belief in Santa Clause.  I know.  It shattered me as well.  If you look into the history of Myer and Briggs and the lack of controls groups/double blinds and even sample numbers they used to arrive at their conclusons you will [sadly] find they are grossly out of their depths.  The entirety of their theories and quantification of personalities is rejected outright by the accredited schools of psychology.  I am only a layman in these matters but something of a buff on them too, and enjoy learning about the subject as a whole.  When I first looked into the Myers Briggs testing I was truly excited to think there was a means to evaluate a personality [given enough study of the M/B personality profiles] and be able to predict or at least conjecture with some accuracy their likely response to a given set of circumstances/stimuli.  I really drank the kool-aid.  On further investigation I learned the theory is, how to say this, full of holes.  Most professionals in the field put it on par with astrological horoscopes.  Honestly, that hurt me to the quick and I felt naive and gullible.  I got over it.  Please don't construe this as an insult.  The whole damn thing sounds so perfect, but it's not.  Thought I'd give you a heads up in case you find the opportunity to research it a little further from an ojective/historical perspective.

On the same note, the assesment is still given credence by certain portions of the white collar proffessional class, most pointedly Human Resource Managers who will include it as a basis for occupational assessment and how well you are percieved to "fit in" to the corporation they are hiring for.  Took one of those face to face exam/interviews one time.  Interesting experience.  Was asked, "How would you respond to criticism of your work"?  My answer that I usually recieved compliments and not criticism did not fall on the interviewers scale of responses.  When pressed I asked for a more specific criticism and was told it  was the design that was being challenged.  "Straight, level, square, true and plumb is what it is, if they wanted something else they should have told me before I got started", was my response.  That didn't fit any of her boxes either from the look on her face but I got the job anyway.

Well now that Ive dragged myself back into this thread and taken it as far off course as it is ever likely to be, I might as well tell you also, "The 100th Monkey" theory is/was a hoax as well.  Now that one really hurt to find out.  And I'm not even sure I'm a better man for knowing.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-07-2014 18:40
yojimbo

well  I am not truly much of a believer in the "science" of psychology in general.....last two hour assessment I took for a company resulted in the third party warning them to have the police at hand when they let me go as they believed I was a psychopath and should be terminated immediately.  When I got the news I just shook my head and walked out.   some psychopath....

I am sure those questions about "Mary" struggling with her coworkers can determine whether or not someone is on the brink of Murder or worse.  You betcha
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 01-07-2014 19:55
TJ-

Point taken, but psychology means the study of the mind.  That study is intended to be approached through the scientific method, hypothesis, experiment, observation, conclusions.  Granted a tricky matter given the subject.

And yes, it's a shame about poor Mary.  She seemed to be making progress with her co-workers untill they ran out of cremora in the lunch room and she just snapped.

What?

WHAT??!!

"CARLOS, HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND"?  Spoken in reference to a Boiler Construction Superintendant by a Safety guy just before the White Coats took said safety guy away after a failed random.

This thread has gotten way too out of hand and I will take my share of responsibility for that.

But it has been fun.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-07-2014 20:39
Whatever your havin; I'll take two !
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-08-2014 03:15
LOL  I take great pride in my ability to steer the course completely off the track.....I reckon I should have been a saboteur in ww2 swimming around the enemy ship yards or some such.  HAHAHAHAHa.

Larry I would gladly give you two of mine but I am afraid the effect would likely result in a coma, since I like you very much I shall refrain from sharing.   Peace out DOG!!!!!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-07-2014 00:43
Always looking forward to your posts Tommy!!!
Keep'em coming brother!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-07-2014 16:27
Heh heh heh heh....
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-19-2014 16:31
This post has been around for some time, but it is still relevant.

In our legal system, the employer is responsible for he products produced and sold. The employer has to determine what is prudent to ensure the products produced will perform as expected, per the design and the customer's requirements.

There are employers that employ welders where the work is varied, in the shop or in the field, where the welder is expected to have the knowledge and the skills needed to set up the welding machine, ability to read drawings, fit, and weld. It is prudent for that employer to assess the welder's skills by devising a testing program that assesses those skills. The welder is provided with raw material, a sketch, a WPS, and it is up to the welder to produce an acceptable test specimen.

On the end of the spectrum is the employer that has the same mindset as Frederic Taylor where every job is divided into steps and each worker is responsible for hat particular operation. The employee is only expected to run the band saw, the next employee is expected to clean and prepare joints for welding, another employee fits the parts and tack welds them into proper alignment, and finally an employee welds the joint while still another employee cleans and prepares the welds for painting. The employee that only deposits a fillet weld of a certain size and length is not expected to be as well versed as the truly skilled tradesmen.

The extent of testing, i.e., the qualification tests required are different for each of the welders in the preceding paragraphs as is their respective wages. The "license" attempts to force the employer to meet some arbitrary standard that usually has little relevance to he work performed or the skills required by the employer. Case in point; one state (they wish to remain anonymous)  requires pipe welders in the mechanical trades to obtain a license that includes a written test that has no relevance to he pipe trades. The entire test relates to structural welding. The welder has to show documented evidence of passing a pipe test on any diameter, any base metal, with any process. There is a good chance the pipe test on which the license is found is not the one used in production. 

Since he employer is liable for any substandard work produced by the employee, the responsibility for testing and certifying is exactly where it belongs, with the employer. The employer that hires people with substandard skill sets are going to ultimately pay a price in a well earned bad reputation, incurred cost of rework, and in the worst case, legal actions.

The Owner has to take responsibility for the contractors they hire and the shoddy work they are willing to tolerate. The same hold true in our daily purchases. If we are willing to purchase substandard goods, whether it is the automobile we drive, the cloths we wear, the homes we purchase, we get what we pay for and the level quality we insist on. CalTran bought a bridge from China. Three different inspection agency reported the work was substandard. CalTran fired the inspection agencies. CalTran and the citizens of California got exactly what they paid for "Crap." They were told it was "crap" and yet they were willing to settle for "Crap." The citizens are the customers that elected their officials and rather than firing them, they reelected them or promoted them.

Universal licensing? It will make little difference in the long run.

Testing welders at an ATF? It will make little difference since it is still the employer that is responsible for the work produced. A test by an ATF has little relevance in the outcome. The test can only reflect the needs and expectations of the employer if the testing program meets their needs. Testing conducted by an ATF only ensures Miami gets their cut and drives up the cost of testing welders.

Al
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-19-2014 20:20
Never knew that about the "bridge" project out in Cali.... You would think the media, unions, government watch dogs and citizens for better government would of raised holy hell about this subject...... As for your assessment of tests.....gets you in the door but if your daily/standard work is CRAP most places aren't going to tolerate it.... Unless your a CRAPPY company which usually doesn't last/survive long..... Good post there, Al ....... I agree, a long time ago an ironworker of many years of service told me " Nothing worse than putting SKILL TOOLS in the hands of unskilled labor"
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-19-2014 20:42 Edited 01-19-2014 21:43
There has been several exposes written about he project and a couple of investigations, but as I understand, there was no federal money involved so CalTran wasn't bound by the "Buy American" requirements. I guess the feds have little sway since no federal funds were involved.

Do a search using "San Francisco- Oakland Bay Bridge" or "Bay Bridge faulty Chinese Welds" and you'll get a number of its with links to different articles. Here's a couple of interesting links. http://americawhatwentwrong.org/story/american-steal-how-us-steelworkers-lost-china/

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=254360

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Questions-over-welds-delay-Bay-Bridge-project-3175088.php

Not that any company doesn't experience welding problems now and then, but it is interesting that CalTran elected to fire the inspection company that reported the problems. Then they fired the second inspection company that reported more problem welds than the first company.

You have to wonder what the heck is going on at CalTran. They seem to be the subject of a serious controversy every couple of years. The FBI seem to get called in on a regular basis.  I guess that's why they didn't want federal funding on this project. I wonder if the Feds have a full time office staff at Caltran's head office. If they don't, maybe they should.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aws is about money
1 2 Previous Next