Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / UT differences?
- - By supermoto (***) Date 12-19-2013 11:56
So I know enough about UT Examinations on materials being a level II, but I don't know what the difference between material examinations and when women get an ultrasound for their pregnancy.  I had a discussion with a buddy last night and I wasn't able to explain the differences.  It seems to never come up in an NDE conversations nor did anyone ever ask this in UT formal training.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-19-2013 13:37
I've been doing it over thirty years and I still don't know enough about UT examinations on materials. Can't think of anyone I know that does either.
As for the difference, most of the medical variants would be considered phased array by their industrial counterparts, except that the medical variant has long since introduced Doppler ultrasound, which is not very well known in the industrial realm. The one related to pregnancy is known as Obstetric ultrasonography.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 12-19-2013 14:12 Edited 12-19-2013 14:28
Oh man, you make it sound like I came off like I know everything.  You most likely are being modest when you say you don't know enough about UT.

Ok, so how is Obstetric Ultrasonography different than conventional A-Scan UT?  if this is considered PA then what types of frequencies, presentation type, angles, etc.... you know the differences that an industrial UT tech might use to make a comparison.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 12-19-2013 14:16
The only information I can find is they use transducers with a frequency of 3 - 10 MHz
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-20-2013 01:35
I've meet a lot of UT hands in my life. There was a gentlemen I worked with 15 years ago that to this day, I've not found anything he didn't already know. He got his NDE start in Pearl Harbor.
His dad was killed during the initial raid. Tried to join the navy, but he was only 13 at the time, so he started working on ships. They wouldn't let him weld or fit because they considered him too young, and being the only provider for his mother and sister, it was considered too dangerous. However, they did put him to working inspecting onshore, and NDE in general. He passed away two years ago of a massive heart attack while performing an EMAT examination. Seventy years later, he died doing what he loved.

I had the very good fortune to have him take me under his wing for a couple of those years. He loved NDE in all it's forms, but most of all it was UT.

I made a very similar statement to yours when I first meet him. His answer was the exact one I gave you in the first sentence except with 50 years experience instead of 30. I apologize if it sounded like an attack, what Robert told me back then popped into my head when I read your statement. The man had forgotten more about NDE than most will ever know.

Regarding the second half of your post,

They do have an A scan B scan, C scan S scan etc presentations. They have straight beam modes, don't use a lot of shear as NDE hands would know it. They use Doppler UT extensively, as well as destructive UT for killing cyst and tumors. Phased array is common, especially in Obstetric Ultrasound. Frequencies range from .250 mhz to 18 mhz, with some experimental versions ranging up to 50mhz. I suppose some of the more notable differences is the use of pulsed wave doppler, considerably lower transducer excitation energy, pulse inversion, among the more notables.

There are some direct similarities but for the most part, it's like comparing sonar to radar.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-20-2013 13:22
The couplant smells like it is the same....LOL
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-23-2013 07:25
A doppler ultrasound exam is also used to monitor arterial blood flow in the lower extremities and, is in fact an uncomfortable procedure for one to experience as I know first hand but, it does perform the job successfully so that's what really counts in my book.:wink: In my lifetime, I have had eleven or twelve doppler UT procedures already and I expect more in the future.

Respectfully,
Henry

P.S. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY GERALD!!! THE SAME GOES TO EVERYONE ELSE ALSO!!!:grin::smile::wink:
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-23-2013 21:42
There is an industrial variant out there for detecting leaks.

Merry Christmas my friend.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / UT differences?