Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Make fun of the noob video!
- - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-23-2013 02:01 Edited 12-23-2013 02:04
I am a relative noob at welding. I probably have welded through 3 or 4 10 lb spools over two years. Anyway I have been practicing more earnestly lately and was hoping forum members would take a peak at this video I recorded showing some of my recent work.

During the last few months I have been doing some research on mig welding and have come across a couple of threads on various forums mentioning the use of a clamp meter on the mig work lead to use as a point of reference. So I thought I would try using one and recording the results of the reads as I welded. My thought was that, along with just looking at the weld results, if I watch the video of the amp reading it could also lend me some insight into how well I was keeping my stick out during the weld.

Here are the results…feel free to flame on it, and, if up for it, give a few thoughts on the results, i.e. any welding defects you can recognize and any advice.... other than..."give up"...  :wink:

Video factoids: three different welds are shown using a MillerMatic 252 welding 1/4" to 1/2" mild steel in a tee joint, .035" metal cored wire, 26 volts, 500 WFS , 1/2" stick out, 98% Argon 2% Oxygen

http://youtu.be/3ttsh6vF5LA
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 12-23-2013 14:31
Hey Panda,
You are getting large changes on the meter because you are manually welding. Tiny changes in contact tip to work distance will result in the machine changing the amperage to compensate.  That's why the meter is jumping.  Even with a robot, it fluctuates, but not as much.
You'll produce better welds if you can keep your tip to work distance constant (think and feel like a robot).  If you can hold the gun closer to your body, support your arm by leaning on work piece, and use two hands, you'll get better.
Tyrone
Parent - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-23-2013 17:08
Thanks, I am wrestling with keeping stick out constant…seems far off sometimes :lol: I have noticed when I try to relax, things tend to work better. I am gonna get an monumentally large sledgehammer and similar sized vise to see if these welds will hold water, if you will.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-23-2013 15:24
I left you a comment on your YT page below the vid. :wink:
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-23-2013 15:25
BTW, I hope  we won't flame anyone who is trying to get a grip on this thing we call welding. Keep on asking questions.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-23-2013 17:01
Amen!

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-23-2013 17:17
Good to know…makes one more comfortable posting knowing that.  Also thanks for your comments on YouTube.

BTW did the bead thickness look ok to you guys?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-23-2013 17:31
What size fillet weld were you trying to run?
Hard to tell without comparing it to a fillet weld gage, but I'd venture guess that was at least a 1/4" fillet weld.
Parent - - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-23-2013 21:17
Its a 1/4" inch weld to 1/2" base. Was looking at fillet weld gauge and plan to purchase one one day. Thing is I never pick cheap hobbies, Jeeps, welding, etc…seems like there is always something new to buy.:smile:
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-23-2013 21:50
Local welding supply house have them...maybe even cheaper in your neck of the woods, but here is a place to order a set if you decide to invest in a set.
http://www.galgage.com/measuring_fillets.html
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-28-2013 02:20
Those are some good gauges and there made in the USA I bought a couple, mainly to check my own welds.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-23-2013 17:40
I get a kick out of seeing WFS numbers way up there like yours. I'm used to seeing WFS numbers in the 140 to 150ipm ranges...but keep in mind the WFS due your small diameter wire, compared to our 3/32" FCAW wire.

Have you been over to weldingtipsandtricks.com and checked out some of Jody's videos? He has some great "through the welding lens" shots so the viewer can see what is going on behind all of that bright light. He also explains things pretty well, he uses layman's terms so even I can understand what he's talking about. http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mig-welding-videos.html
Parent - - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-23-2013 21:28
I have been to his site and had posted on his forum in the past.

Maybe after my son gets out of college in a year and a half, or at least I am told :grin:...I will take some welding classes. I think the biggest "ahh hah moment" for me will come after doing some "destructive tests" of some of my welds. I found a big honkin' vise on craigslist, but the lister is gone 'til after the New Year. Once I get that, I can begin "testing" in the lab.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 12-28-2013 00:52
OK so you've got a kid in college, a clean garage without a beer can in sight, you can post videos to youtube and you think a welder can help you with something. :lol:
Parent - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-29-2013 01:42
Can't afford beer, drinking anti spatter...:eek:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Make fun of the noob video!