Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Scrap value, Miller trailblazer 44G
- - By whiteyford M1A1 (**) Date 12-29-2013 13:03 Edited 12-29-2013 21:47
I had my "Spirit of 76" Miller Trailblazer 44G (HF88076G) stolen from Wheatland, PA near the OH line. Somebody backed a dually up to the trailer and took it all, trailer welder and gang box full of tools. There is a $500 reward posted on the Youngstown, OH craiglist page. The police asked  how much copper/aluminum was in the welder? I recalled that being a discussion on here regarding some other machines, just wandering if anyone knows for sure?  I was thinking it wasn't worth the effort unless you were a crack head with nothing better to do.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 12-29-2013 18:37
Last I heard copper was over $2 a pound , It is real bad around here on the farms with wiring, valves and radiators. Did a small job at a local high school a few months ago and somebody had stolen all the wiring from about 2 blocks of street light poles, live wires.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-29-2013 19:13
Thats insane, I feel it's easier to work for my money then to go out and steal it, just seems like more work. Friend of mine was telling me he was on a job after Hurricane Katrina hit down here in New Orleans Louisiana they had just installed something crazy like 8 gran worth of this big copper piping in a elementary school and the next day they come back and it was ALL cut out and stolen. They actually had to build a cage with a bunch of locks on it and then put all that piping back in.
Parent - - By whiteyford M1A1 (**) Date 01-04-2014 11:33
Update;  I spoke with a detective yesterday, my welder and trailer were located in OH. All the tools, leads, torch are still missing. Sounds like it was sold or traded for drugs at least 2 or 3 times. 4 were arrested, 2 on felonies and more to come.
The $500.00 reward offered on craigslist along with good pictures and serial # made it happen. I would encourage everyone to get pictures of serial #s, and valuables. After the crooks get your stuff then it's time to deal  with the insurance company, luckily I save everything and had reciepts for most of the claim. Oh and they depreciated items too, so if your stuff is 3 years old you will need about 8k of invoices to get paid 5k. What an eye opener.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-12-2014 03:11
We come back off break for Christmas and our whole tool trailer was gone! 16 foot enclosed(tools, harnesses, blocks, riggin', etc) trailer and we believe they got the aluminum and the giant pile of copper tubing as well. Thieves should just have their hands hammered to bits with a 2lb sledgehammer. Although us working stiffs would have to pay for the medical care they would need for their hands, heck with it, bullet is still cheaper.

Glad you got some of it back at least
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-12-2014 07:59
OUCH SHAWN! that just plain sucks. Sorry to hear that and the same for the OP. I personally think that having to deal with a thief(s) is one of the things that I hate the most. I guess it's just that feeling of being violated in some weird way. Hope that the insurance has you covered properly and you can at least recoup enough to get back to work without too much interruption. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-12-2014 12:17
It was the company trailer so not an issue with me. All my gear stays on my truck, guarded just a few feet away by me. Have not heard much about it. They said another contractor had their trailer stolen out at this very same jobsite. It's out in the country so it's probably some local boys that use the road and see an opportunity.
- By Dualie (***) Date 01-12-2014 08:48
Thats my biggest reason to not have my tools on a trailer.   I worry enough about the truck but the truck comes home every night plus its lojack'ed and so is the machine.

I do have a connex that i can get hauled to sites and leave but its more of a blueprint room than a tool storage.     tools come home with the trucks.    I have had PLENTY stolen over the years and it will piss you off every time though.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Scrap value, Miller trailblazer 44G