Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Looking for ideas for Android/Tablet apps.
- By Think Positive (*) Date 01-06-2014 18:03
Are any of you guys using smartphones or tablet devices for design, manufacturing, and/or welding applications?  I just upgraded to an Amazon Kindle Fire which will run Android apps.  Amazon only has 7 welding related apps so far, but there many free and low cost apps available through other websites - especially the equipment and materials vendors.  Android apps not acquired direct from Amazon might require some minor hacking before they will run on a Kindle Fire though.

I am thinking about venturing into the world of Android apps programming myself, but before I leap into this venture, I want to consider the market potential with a heavy focus on the practical realities.  Most of the welding apps at the Amazon website have only sold a handful of copies.  At 70% of a dollar or two it would take an enormous sales volume to make any money at this venture.  Many excellent apps are offered at no cost.

Are tablet devices even practical for field use?  Are shop managers willing to invest the money to move to tablet devices when snap ring binder notebooks are cheaper?

What sorts of apps would you folks like to see developed?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Looking for ideas for Android/Tablet apps.