Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sae 300
- - By TRC (***) Date 01-08-2014 18:32
Anyone running the sae 300 he with kabota
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 01-10-2014 21:27
will let you know next week after the weldtron remote gets here and I get it hooked up!!!!!
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 01-10-2014 21:38
its a ***** when ya gotta answer your own posts !@#$%
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 01-15-2014 21:01
If you bought one run it and tell us about it !  :lol:   Others were ditching their new 300s because of armature problems, Perkins bearing & crankshaft problems, &  company dealer warranty issues.  What I want to know is why they didn't go with the Kohler engines already had in the Vantage series.  It's a no brainer why they ditched Perkins and back to a Kubota.  I even saw dealers bailing out getting rid of them below cost.  All that tells you there have been problems !  :eek:
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 01-25-2014 23:45
I think I'm at about 12 hrs. The first 8 was the load bank. Did 4- 12X .250 wall, X52. 5/32 5P+ bead, 3/16 7P+ F/C.  I can see why people run from them early on-IT'S NOT a SA200. You can do some very radical stuff with the arc!!!  Will report back at the end of the week with a tweeked report. Would like to see how it burns HYP+, I'm thinking it will be a little less course than the 7P. Ted
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 01-27-2014 00:37
Keep at it Ted and let us know.  I'd like to know how good the new ones are especially after hearing all the stories of the problem ones earlier.  Not all the early ones had problems but those that did I know some guys got their new low hour machine parked in corner of the barn or shop still fighting over warranty  issues.  I sure hope you have better luck with yours.  Yep think it's more like learning the settings on the Fowler rigs got to have the patience to play with settings & learn a new welder again.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-27-2014 21:15
Ted I am curious as to how your machine handles.  I haven't figured out how you can get the same duty cycle and the same Amps with a motor that is roughly 8hp less than the perkins?  I  own a perkins SAE 300 and love it.  Basicly if you have a good grip of how OCV's work you will love that machine and no it's not an SA 200 I find that I like the SAE 300 better.  I haven't seen the new H.E. SAE 300 up close yet and curious if you have to add urea to it and if you can run red diesel in it?

The perkins motors have had there share of trouble.  I think I got lucky.  I have friends with them that have had similar problems with there's that Fixalinc talked about.

Keep us updated!
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 01-28-2014 11:39
Hey Stan, that 8hp thing bothered me too but all they did was play the numbers game. The motor is the kabota d1503 rated at 31.8 hp @™  2800. No def required and doesnt say anything about red fuel. Doing some 16" that will be shot so I didnt want to mess with my settings to much right now.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 02-08-2014 21:32
Got 40 hrs on it and I can say it's pretty sweet. The only thing that's freaking me out is "up 5" on a SA is more like "up 20" on the SAE. What's up with that? I did get to play with the settings a little and did find how to set it to duplicated an SA arc. Already found that I can bead the .250 wall with a 5/32 and put a stout bead in that I was not able to do with the factory settings on SA.

Hope it warms up a little---FMAO
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 02-09-2014 13:15
Note: horse power info on above post may not be correct- got it off the internet!!!! Go figure
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sae 300