Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / When must we start using API 1104 21st Edition?
- - By GHFInspector (*) Date 01-09-2014 16:37
If I'm not mistaken, there is a given time frame that gives companies time to adjust from one edition to the next.  If you have not seen the 21st edition and believe it is just a few minor changes as in released editions past, you're mistaken.  They added nearly 50 pages to the code and have made significant changes.  I implore you to review it carefully or you may just get into a bad situation.  One major change is in Section 10 (Repair's).  Now, a welder making a repair must make a test for full pen, partial pen, cover pass and backweld repairs and those must be destructively tested.  It will not be just a "qualified welder" that can make a repair...  Just one of many notes.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-09-2014 16:56
Keep in mind that "most" API 1104 jobs fall under Federal or State jurisdictions. Traditionally there has been no mention of section 10 in either of these, only section 5, 6 and 9. With that said we have chosen to follow the 21st edition to qualify repair procedures and have communicated that to state officials. "Best Practices" issues could come into play....Part 192.245 address repairs.
Parent - - By GHFInspector (*) Date 01-09-2014 16:59
I hear ya and thanks for your reply.  The main question I have is what is the required date of absolute implementation of the 21st edition... or in other words, how long is it before I must stop using the 20th edition?
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-09-2014 17:17
That I do not know. Usually there is a list of proposed revisions and this is sent out for companies to review and protest if desired. The last one I saw was about a year ago and it listed API 1104 section 12 as a requirement. Still don't see that reflected as of Jan. 7th 2014 publication, or what came about of the proposed change. We get a notice from the public service commission when changes are made. Last major change took us about four years to comply with (state implimented appendix B in 2009). Didn't seem to ruffle too many feathers. As far as hard dates go for the 21st reflected in CFR...I have no idea what the schedules are for edition releases.
Parent - - By GHFInspector (*) Date 01-09-2014 17:19
Alright.  Thanks so much!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-10-2014 00:13
Have you tried contacting API themselves?

http://www.api.org/publications-standards-and-statistics/faqs-and-inquiries/faqs/obtaining-api-standards/standards-contact-list

Scroll down to pipelines and you'll see in red lettering which links you to their e-mail...

Pipeline:

Standards – Ed Baniak - baniake@api.org

Regulations – Karen Simon - simonk@api.org

Hope this helps, and "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!!:smile::eek::wink::cool:"

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By GHFInspector (*) Date 01-10-2014 01:52
Yes I have Mr. Henry but I figure I'd try to get somewhat of an answer here until they reply back.  Thanks!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-11-2014 23:02 Edited 01-11-2014 23:06
API had nothing to do with when or if a document is adopted. All they do is write and publish it.
You stop using what ever edition of 1104 you are using when the customers specifications say you stop using it.
If the contract documents say you use the 18th edition, you use that one. If it says the 20th, than that is the controlling document. I know companies still referencing the 18th edition in their specifications.
Following API 1104 is voluntary. Read the forward. ASME B31.4 (liquid) and B31.8 (Gas) are the "codes" referenced in CFR 49 Part 192(gas) and Part 195 (liquid) with API 1104 incorporated by reference. If there is a mandated required adoption date for the current edition of 1104 it would be covered in .4 or .8
Parent - - By GHFInspector (*) Date 01-12-2014 16:24
I ended up answering my own question by digging further.  Our company spec's state to use the most recent edition recognized by CFR 195, which is still the 20th edition.  Thanks so much!
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 01-18-2014 18:14 Edited 01-18-2014 18:26
Yes, you are correct. DOT CFR Part 192 and 195 has lists of documents that have been Incorporated By Reference (be sure to read the explanation of what Incorporated By Reference means). Currently as of January 16, 2014 the 20th edition of API 1104 is still the listed edition therefore it is required that this edition be used for any work that is covered by DOT. Continuing to use an edition that has been replaced by a more current edition is not typically frowned upon as long as any additional work is in compliance with the current Incorporated edition.

Not all of API 1104 is Incorporated By Reference. Review relevant DOT parts and the API 1104 to see which Sections are referenced and within the 1104 which Sections may be referenced.

And as you mentioned your State regulations may also list of approved codes and standards. Sometimes state regulators may lag behind the Feds a little bit, but keep in mind that the Feds always trump the State. As long as you are using the most strict requirements from either standard you should be safe.

If it is your choice or if your requirements are that you use the latest edition there is no problem with that as long as you satisfy all the requirements of the current Incorporated By Reference edition.

Understand that not all editions of the API 1104 were Incorporated by DOT. It seems as though editions 12, 14, and 16 were never Incorporated. I could be wrong on the 12th edition however. Jumping ahead to use portions of the Standard may be futile if the edition is never incorporated. At times DOT did object to certain portions of the 1104 and did not Incorporate that edition. Occasionally the 1104 Committee has referenced different sections of the 1104 in sections that were Incorporated By Reference by DOT and this was where objections were raised. In other cases DOT simply did not have time to review and Incorporate those editions.

Some organizations such as ASME and API do have provisions for requiring compliance with their Standards. Compliance is required for "certification" or "stamping" of products manufactured in accordance with their requirements and these products must be manufactured in accordance with the latest editions.

If you want to know the date when you must stop using one edition and change to the other it depends on which regulatory agency you talk to. I believe DOT allows either 3 or 6 months after it is incorporated. I believe it is usually the same for some States after they adopt it but there may be a time lag between the Feds and State in adopting the Standard. As I said above, if you use the most stringent regulations (Sections) that are Incorporated By Reference you should be safe and in compliance with both agencies.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / When must we start using API 1104 21st Edition?