Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Specific auto lens advice very much not general stuff
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-09-2014 23:23 Edited 01-09-2014 23:34
I use flip ups on when working off my rig and stick welding.  My miller 2 x 4 1/4 lenses (two..I always carry a backup)  have failed....both got dodgy as hell in cold weather and ended up punk and non functional.   There goes about $160 out the door and both lenses barely had a year of use.   I liked them because the lens shaded evenly and was not to prone to sunlight malfunction.

Well not many reputable people make a 2x 4 anymore.   I was thinking on trying an arc one 240 vs the miller lens......anyone been using one for some time?   They have some cool lenses for large view but just like everyone else there is not much choice for a flip up.  I will not give up my flip up hoods for nuttin.  I am real picky about auto lenses if they do not shade evenly and have good clarity I will just throw it in the trash.  The Miller works well in that regard but I am not impressed by reliability.  Jackson is only interested in tig hoods apparently.   Any test reports much appreciated as I will probably buy a minimum of two if not four lenses.

EDIT:  I dont give  a rats butt about large or oddball lenses and systems.   The jackson boss is the best tig welding lens made.  I do not want a large view tig lens....not trying to be a jackwagon just saying ....I am only interested in small 2 x 4 1/4.
Parent - - By gto_welder (*) Date 01-09-2014 23:42
Jackson also makes a 2x4 that's called journeyman eqc.  I've heard nothing but good thing about them.  I have one myself but I haven't used it much.  So far no complaints from the little use that I have given it.  They sell a fixed shade version and a variable shade version as well.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-09-2014 23:54 Edited 01-10-2014 00:00
Jackson and curv-o-mark have been bought out by Kimberly Clark.   AS far as I can tell the lens your talking about is not in production anymore.  The journeyman line of lenses { edit: sorry referencing the next gen line} in general had shading and clarity issues....I have seen many in shops collecting dust from sub par performance.  Try your lens out....I bet if you pay attention to it, it will darken more in one area then another randomly each time it turns on.   That is why my employer shelled out $450 for a boss eqc when they first came out...biggest viewing area but also they had extremely consistent shading and clarity...a huge leap over anything Jackson had before.  Now they have the "Baldor" class of lenses which supposedly focuses on the worst issue with auto lenses...clear optic quality.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-10-2014 04:01
I have ALWAYS used an OPTREL Quick Change. I used mine Daily for 5 years, Summers in Texas. Even went through some Winters in ND and PA. It NEVER failed. My Son still has it. It HAS to be 10 years or older and still works. It is Solar powered. I think I paid about 225.00 I bought it several years ago. It fits in My pipeliner hood
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-10-2014 04:49
Cactus I will look and see if they still have such.....optrel stuff is always good.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-10-2014 13:04
I'm with Cactus here.

I tried an Optrel about 6 years ago (because somebody else paid for it)  and have never gone back.

The replacement cover lens's are spendy... But the hood itself is robust and I like the view and the guts.

I don't like the Miller Elite helmets on a number of grounds...  Have seen many many many of these crap out after one shift of overhead SMAW or FCAW...  Too thin and flimsey...   But people keep buying the things even though they say IN WRITING inside the hood "do not use for overhead welding"

Edit...... If I could find good auto dark guts that would fit into an old Huntsman Vulcanized hood...  I would probably switch back...  I love that hood.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 01-10-2014 17:36
I'm still old school I use the flip-up lens welding hood and don't have nothing but a number 10 colored lens and a couple of clear lens and a cheater lens because I'm getting old and they are a lot cheaper. I have an old Huntsman hood and hardly ever us it any more but they are good welding hoods.

M.G.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 01-10-2014 21:33
Hey Tommy , I had a Miller take a s... and the LWS where I bought it got me a replacement - no questions asked. The one I have now is arc one -. It's OK. I use mine in a slider Huntsman.
Parent - By Hightong Date 01-11-2014 18:32
I have been using a fibre metal 2x4 auto in my hood for several months.Seems quite clear and have had no troubles.Not sure how it would work outside with the sun issues.Down side it was 180.00 Canadian c/w tax

Hightong
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Specific auto lens advice very much not general stuff